Q2eBanking

Updated December 10, 2014
3.2

Matt Flake

Great Culture & Workplace

I have been working at Q2eBanking full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The biggest pro is Q2 company culture. They have spent a lot of time and energy creating an environment that is caring and fun. Between volunteer initiatives and ping pong tournaments, there is always something going on to engage employees. A newer office space means higher tech conference rooms, gym, mini-grocery store, and other amenities. Q2 happy hours are frequent and fun, and all the new faces make it interesting and engaging. The CEO is very passionate about the Q2 product and often gets emotional at company events. It's very touching! Listening to the executives speak is something I look forward to, for sure.

Cons

Fast growth comes with it's downsides. We've spent a lot of the past x years working our tails off to make this company succeed. And while it has been a fun ride, forward looking executives are eager to bring in new upper level talent to manage the existing workforce. This is business, sure, but we end up pushing away some of our smartest and brightest because there are so few internal promotions. There is plenty of opportunity to learn here, though, and many people explore positions in other departments. Just not a lot of growth in their own.

I love Q2, I really do. The only advice I would give is to encourage internal department growth through promotions & other opportunities.

They try to replace living benefits with 'culture'

Former Employee - Customer Support
    Former Employee - Customer Support

I worked at Q2eBanking

Pros

Free food sometimes and free swag

Cons

-Terrible health insurance
    - Clique like mentality from management and people who have been there for a long time
    - They portray that there is a lot of opportunity to move up however there is very little
    - If free drinks or food are provided you are expected to stay later and work
    - The technology is extremely outdated and there is very little effort to fix bugs or keep up
    - Each department is very siloed and there is little to no collaboration between dev and any other department
    - There are certain developers who have been there for a long time and are considered 'untouchable' yet they are the ones who made the most mistakes
    - Management is very numbers based with how the distribute bonuses
    - Anyone who came in during my time who was competent at the job did not make it a year before moving on.
    - They only pay out 50% of PTO

Instead of free food match 401k and just because you make your employees vote for you as one of the best work places does not make you a good place to work. Get to profitability before throwing lavish parties.

You can do better

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Q2eBanking full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice workspace in Austin. Business casual. Free parking. Fruit. Free soft drinks. Nice t shirts.

Cons

No matching 401k. Inexperienced management team. Too corporate for a company their size. Starting to see runoff from early employees as they cashout. Poor communication. Benefits sub par.

Get back to the roots of the company. Do the right thing for the customer. Stop believing (your own) press.

Terrible

Former Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Q2eBanking full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a lot. Cheap health insurance. Free snacks.

Cons

Anyone with even a basic knowledge of the tendencies of cult-like corporate culture will recognize these tendencies immediately upon their employment with Q2. From day 1 employees are told countless times by HR what a great place Q2 is to work at, as if that's not something you could figure out and decide for yourself. You're then put through upwards of ten separate orientation sessions in order to make sure you're aware of every aspect of the business--some of these sessions are useful, though most are not. You then give a presentation at the end of these sessions summarizing why you think Q2's mission is so important for communities. In your first few weeks here, you're also given a buddy to eat with so they can tell you even more about the company and how great it is. You are then sent to a lunch with a manager of a department you don't even work in so you can learn even more about why Q2 is great.

Q2 is great because you don't have to leave for lunch--they have free coffee and apples and a mini market with sandwiches and salads. You don't have to leave to workout because they have a fitness center. You don't have to leave to help your community--they have committees for green initiatives and volunteer activities. You don't have to leave to see your friends because you'll make tons of new friends here. You don't even have to leave to buy new things because you are given hats, shirts, coffee mugs, backpacks. And on the weekends, you may not be here physically but you don't have to leave mentally because you can volunteer and play golf and go drinking with everyone from Q2, all while checking your work email on your company paid cellphone. Now just replace all of the "don't have to's" with "don't get to" and you'll see my point.

A few examples of cult culture:

1. Our yearly meeting in January consisted of a, I kid you not, drum circle. Each employee was supplied a drum and led by an "inspirational" speaker who referred to all departments as "tribes" and all of the employees as "trust warriors".....

2. Employees are not given the WiFi password to use on their personal phones unless they have a company phone. Anyone can have a company phone on the condition that they check their work email from it and are always on call.

3. Some managers require you to hang the company mission statement in your personal area (note personal area, not cube) so you never forget it. You may be quizzed on the mission statement at any time.

If you still dont see this and work at Q2 now, just try to be different for a few days and see how it goes. Finish all of your projects on time or even early and leave at a decent hour, and you'll come to find your coworkers despise your sudden lack of commitment (even as you complete the same or even more work than them). Take some "paid time off" and actually take the time off, and don't check your email, and see how everyone's attitude towards you has changed for the worse since you left. Don't go to lunch with your coworkers or boss and spend that time as you actually want to, and see how fast they stop inviting you altogether, or even start heading out to leave while you're in the bathroom so they don't have to talk to you anymore.

You'll either get my point by now and steer clear of this manipulative corporation or you'll scoff and keep drinking the kool-aid. If you enjoy extremely low pay, bad benefits, and have a complete lack of personal life then you'll really get along well at Cult2.

I can't even begin.

Rare find. Outstanding company to work for.

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Q2eBanking full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-A lot of room for upward mobility. I would not have the opportunities I do now, if it weren't for Q2. They are very good at hiring within.
    -A great culture that I hope is here to stay. Q2 is a very laid back environment, and while we are growing fast, and don't always recognize the faces in the hallways like we used to, there are plenty of events and other opportunities to get to know the new hires.
    -Very impressed with the speed at which issues are taken care of. Whenever I've had an issue, management/HR was open to listening and helping in any way they could
    -A company like this comes around very rarely. The executive staff seems to really care about Q2 and their employees. The amenities they offer (Family Room, TV, gym, massages) are not a typical offering. I'm very thankful to work at Q2! Looking forward to my next step in the company.

Cons

-I'd say the rapid growth is the only con I can think of. Which isn't really a con, it's just a bittersweet time. On one hand, I do miss the time when it was less than 200 employees, but the rapid growth shows the promise that Q2 has shown in an otherwise struggling job market.

Great company and fantastic opportunities = satisfied employee

Current Employee - Undisclosed in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Austin, TX

I have been working at Q2eBanking full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love working for this company. It's the best job I've had in at least 15 years. Great culture, and if you work hard, you are not only rewarded for your efforts but given opportunities for advancement when they become available. There are great people here to work with and as many chances to excel/advance as you're willing to go for. Management is very supportive of efforts and you are consistently set up to succeed.

Cons

Some reviews I read here ding work-life balance, but nobody is holding a knife to my throat to work extra. I do it because I want to and I'm rewarded/appreciated. I guess if you're not a team player, this environment might be less than optimal. This is basically a start-up company - and it's software development. There are going to be times that you have to step up to the plate to get the job done. If anything, the con for me is that there are too many fun things to do to promote morale that I'd like to do but don't always have the time.

Continue doing what you're doing - appreciate people and reward them when appropriate. Don't let the slackers stay onboard - they make life harder for those of us that are willing to work. Raise the bar on the company's "high standard". You let too many people get by with being mediocre. Make that "high standard" truly a HIGH STANDARD.

Cultural shift with new management

I worked at Q2eBanking full-time

Pros

Q2 was great in its early years as the actions of the company were in line with its mission statement; and employees felt valued.

Cons

There was no work-life balance in my role. The compensation was not in line with the market, nor was it in line with the expectations of the role. Health insurance was far too expensive. Today the actions of Q2 are out of sync with its mission statement and many clients are feeling the effects. There is an influx of new management and favoritism abounds.

Advice to Executive Team: get in touch with what is really happening to your clients, how do they really feel about Q2 today - especially the smaller clients. Poor service and high pricing will turn this company into its nemesis soon. Pay attention to middle management - who are they retaining or promoting and why?

Great promise, but serious cultural problems

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Q2eBanking full-time

Pros

Q2 is a place where if you are in the right group and have the right manager, you will experience great personal growth and have a great time. Development is a very motivated and tight knit bunch. Pay is reasonable, but not spectacular.

Cons

Paid time off is sparse for the hours you will be working. Benefits and options are sub par. More tenured employees , i.e. members of development can be snarky and unhelpful to members of other departments.You have the work life balance of a startup company with no comparable level of compensation or recognition. HR literally never responds to emails. Some old guard developers stuck in their ways.

Focus on true interdepartmental cooperation between ops and development. Give some developers the sole responsibility of delivering process improvement for ops and support. Put the same effort that goes into and put that passion into everything he company does. Break down the culture of secrecy and inscrutability that exists with management and make the company more democratic. Don't just talk about innovation - do it. Give 20% time to your technical staff for building cool products.

Seemed to be a good place to work

I worked at Q2eBanking full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm not a good one to write these kinds of reviews. I don't really hold grudges. And I'm really uncertain if the company was a good company to work for, or not. It grew so damned fast while I was working there that it made it difficult to discern if my discomfort was due to the growth or bad management, of some sort.

I rated them 4 stars because they appeared to be trying their best. The missing star is because I was ultimately unable to work there for more than 5 years. This may have nothing to do with the company. It did appear to be one of the better companies that I've worked for, and most of the employees there are pretty happy to be there. Possibly, ultimately, I think I just needed to work for myself.

Cons

This wasn't the right place for me to have a stable work-life balance. I ended up burning myself out. Again, not sure that it had anything to do with the company: they have a break room, and seemed to be doing their best to have events and give breaks when they could give them. It seemed to be that they are just in such a competitive market that I think it was difficult for them to manage that in such a way that didn't contribute to my burn-out.

I'm out of my element to suggest anything to management. Except for human resources. Slow to answer emails. Slow to respond to just about everything. Though I never had more than day-to-day issues, so I can't say how they respond to important things, like sexual harrassment, which, for the record, I never saw at this company.

Did not enjoy it here in the least

Former Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Q2eBanking full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work from home when needed and always had more than enough paid time off.

Cons

My salary remained below the going market minimum despite previous work experience and multiple years of employment. I have found this is not uncommon here. In addition to the non-competitive salary, the benefits are also lacking (no 401k matching). Most managers also expected overtime on a regular basis whether it was needed or not. I always got the impression that me just "being here" all the time was more important than how much work I actually got done. It was also incredibly frustrating to be in an increasingly strict work environment while everyone sang the praises of what a "fun" and "laid back" place it is to work. I think a lot of people are having trouble letting go of the fact that Q2 is not a start up anymore and will never again have the culture of a -100 employee company where employees can drink beer at their desk and everyone knows each others name. They can't seem Q2 for what it really is now, which is a not fun place to work.

Stop hiring people for throwaway jobs (cultural planner, interpersonal skills trainer) when you aren't even paying the people who do critical work a decent salary. Valuable employees are starting to leave and high turn over is going to hurt morale.