QBE Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.3

QBE Group CEO John Neal
John Neal

Pros
  • Flexible Work schedule, promotion of work life balance and reasonable benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Meeting few great people that has come and gone (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not very visible to the masses (in 7 reviews)

• We lost 5 employees within a few months because of their poor management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, bad timing

Former Employee - Claims  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Claims in Madison, WI

I worked at QBE full-time

Pros

Compensation, benefits and ability to advance are key reasons to join the organization. If you like constant change, this is the place for you.

Cons

Clear lack of strategic leadership message. Company has changed direction so many times in North America that the employees do not know what direction they are heading. New leadership on global and NA level.

Trying to figure out who they are

I worked at QBE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

QBE employs many excellent insurance professionals who are true experts in their specialty markets. QBE is able to deliver high quality products and services to its high risk, high value customers. The organization's focus on excellence and profitability in its insurance operations is a model for the industry.

Several executives in this organization are world class leaders in insurance.

Cons

QBE North America's acquisitions since 2007 have been tremendously disruptive. Some acquisitions did not fit their business model at all (General Casualty) and others (Sterling / Balboa) have lost signficant value due to regulatory changes.

Additionally because of all the redundant systems and processes they took on through their acquisitions, QBE is now going through a very difficult time reshaping their business and offshoring / outsourcing work that is routine to moderately complex so they can focus on their true value-added operations / functions.

I believe the organization will correct itself over the next three years. However, I would encourage the global company leaders to specifically identify all the reasons the growth strategy in the U.S. failed so they can avoid repeating that result in other markets.

From 2007, the North America division has had four CEO's and only the current CEO grew his career in the U.S. market.

In regards to employee engagement, the company has squandered a tremendous amount of goodwill and some labor markets are now nearly empty of potential candidates because of QBE's reputation in North America. The starting point for correcting this problem is hiring a competent, dynamic HR leader for the U.S.. The CHRO role is open for the fourth time since @2010. Employees do not feel they have an advocate at the leadership table who can challenge decisions, coach and mentor executives, and set the tone for the culture of the organization.

Finally, isolating executive leadership in the NY office when nearly all insurance operations and shared services are performed elsewhere results in consistently poor and uninformed decision making. I do not believe sustainable improvement will be seen until senior executives are located in the same offices where the work their teams are performing is located. Using technology to connect with other executives for meetings would be more effective than managing teams remotely with very little personal interaction.

Awesome company hands down.

Current Employee - Tax Services Representative  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Tax Services Representative in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at QBE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great culture; very helpful colleagues; great work life balance; good pay; excellent benefits; consistent training and re-training; a masterful HR Consultant in Mrs. Hill and huge charity involvement.

Cons

Nothing readily comes to mind. Let's face it - this is a PLACE of BUSINESS and will always be run as such. Let's not be side-tracked by the headwinds of change which will easily blow over without incident.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underwriters of specialty insurance and reinsurance business

Current Employee - Accountant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at QBE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

No Pros at this moments

Cons

Company is deteriorating, doing outsource of its shared Services

Slow agonizing death

I have been working at QBE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They provide you 8 - 12 months notice when your job will be elimiated. Oops.. this is suppose to be the Pros field. Here is the Pros It gives you plenty of time to look for a new job........ So they don't have to pay you a severance. I tried to keep it as pros as possible. There is plenty of fresh air in the offices

Cons

This company is laying off their finest employees who do all the grunt work and hiring execs like there is no tomorrow. QBE purchased to many companies before getting their hands around each one of them and understanding exactly what they do. They just looked at the bottom dollar and who made the most money, bought them, then crushed them.
    QBE didn’t screw up. The companies that allow the conglomerate of screwed up execs railroading them to sell did. Now the current and former 1600+ employees are paying the price.

If I hear one more thing about a global initiative. It’s hard to be global when there will be one person sitting in their house when the dust settles representing North American because all the other NA offices have been closed.

Stop saying we know we are going through some rough times but we are doing good. Get your heads out of the sand and stop blowing smoke.

Family oriented

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at QBE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

culture has changed. Commuication is poor.

Last minute decisions do not promote stability

A good place to work.

I have been working at QBE

Pros

Good working environment and people

Cons

Company is going through some issues. But I suspect they will be short lived

Good company

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Moon Township, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Moon Township, PA

I worked at QBE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great local staff, good hours, benefits, PTO

Cons

Limited career opportunities (regional office)

It has been a good experience

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at QBE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a stable job with good people employed their.

Cons

Management bring division throughout the office.

More training, More training, More training,

QBE

I have been working at QBE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has good Benefits.

Cons

The company is not stable now.

Worked for QBE? Contribute to the Community!