QHR Technologies

Add Photos

QHR Technologies President and CEO Al Hildebrandt

Al Hildebrandt

Not bad but needs work

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsManagement always ready to listen to your opinions. Great team atmosphere and lots of good relationships to build upon.

ConsThe growth within the company is stressing people out. Too much to do with very tight timelines. Internal IT are sometimes very difficult to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people as you would like to be treated. Get rid of some of the dead weight.

Career Alert - Heed the warnings!

(Current Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsSome people are good to work with and benefits are better than average.

ConsFirst let me say that the majority of the comments I have read from others are unfortunately true. Remember the purpose of this site is to provide honest feedback about working for an employer both good and bad. Sure you have to take everything with a grain of salt, however, most intelligent people will quickly derive if the overall comments are generally positive, negative or neutral.

Let me start by defining what the word "bully" means. The definition states; " use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force them to do something." WELCOME TO QHR. If you have interacted with the COO in any capacity you know what I am talking about. Leadership is non-existent at this company because senior management has lost focus and dropped the ball a long time ago. The turnover is horrendous in all departments and should raise a huge red flag to anyone considering employment. What baffles me the most is a handful of incompetent employees are protected while hard working, intelligent folks with good skills and integrity are too often given the pink slip. It is abundantly clear that motivation, morale, free speech and most of all RESPECT is absence. Have an opinion, suggest something new or have concerns about someone or something, my advice is its best you keep it to yourself or be prepared for potential consequences. HR is completely useless, helpless, powerless and follows the direction of the puppet master. Just keep your head down, mind your own business and you might be ok depending on which department you work in and who your manager is.

The future is very grim for this company and one has to ask themselves the question why does upper management allow this behavior to continue? The easy answer is because they can and they will and they DO NOT CARE about public opinion or outcry. To evoke change one has to admit there is a problem. The arrogance and ineptitude of the senior leadership team will most certainly be the final nail in the coffin.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter address the "Elephant" in the room.

Too much restructuring, losing all valuable staff

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsAs a former employee for many years there are still some great people left. Kelowna is a good city to live and work in, but QHR does not pay well. Many great friends still work there.

ConsToo much restructuring causing internal issues. There are certain employees who are trying to push their ideas forward and undermine and back stab valuable employees to try their ideas. This failed in the past, because the ideas come from employees that have no experience or knowledge at all of the problem, yet upper management has somehow bought into these "ideas" again.

The restructuring is costing more and more experienced employees their jobs, leaving QHR with nothing but inexperienced employees. This will catch up to QHR and the customers will have to deal with the results.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a former loyal employee I feel that you need to listen to experience and not new ideas from people with no experience of the issues.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bullied employees get laid off. Layoffs = Financial troubles?

Technology (Current Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsThis review is about EMS (formerly QHR Software) only.

Pay is OK. Benefits are pretty good for Kelowna. The people genuinely care about our customers, the company and each other.

ConsToo many lay offs. I don’t know if I’ll have a job in six months as we don’t seem to be able to have enough money to buy the tools (software and licenses) to do our jobs and there is no money for training or upgrading.

Everything you read here about bullying is true. Today one employee who has been bullied by a Director was laid off. This employee told me a month ago they had gone to HR to report it. Now the employee gets laid off. Everyone knows the real reason for this - there is plenty of work for this employee to do and they have made a positive contribution to the organization. This is not the first time this Director has bullied someone. They all end up laid off, have to move into another department or get fed up and leave.

Everyone knows who the bully is but nobody does anything, including HR. The bully has a need to control and micro-manage everyone in his department. He creates negativity throughout his division and bad mouths other departments and shared services.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo HR: A month ago you asked for people to come forward if they were being bullied. Well now everyone knows what happens to those that squeal. Maybe instead of laying off the victims, you should use them to get rid of the bully?

To CEO: I joined the organization because I was inspired by you, I thought you had high ethical standards. Is this really an organization you can be proud of?

A culture of bullying that needs to stop.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

Pros-Some people are there are easy to work with
    -Good medical benefits

Cons-The managers are bullies and push around the employees, also crude and insulting jokes are made by some managers and nothing is done about it.
    -There is barely no training and employees that have been their long do not care or want to help new employees.
    -Work load is too much and managers have unrealistic expectations.
    -Good employees are let go for no reason

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look around how much diversity do you see? Also please leave your personal issues and opinions at home when your at work.

Not the company it used to be

ProsThere are some great people working at this company - competent, friendly and helpful. Once upon a time this was a great place to work for....

ConsManagement has no idea what is going on in the trenches. Above that, decisions are being made on how to improve on all sorts of levels, but no one is asking the employees what we think of the decisions. People with seniority are being ignored, while the shiny new employees, with little or no experience, are having their voices heard. For remote employees, no matter how much we try to communicate, we are ignored, in favour of the people in Kelowna.

Capable and intelligent employees are let go, while completely incompetent employees are kept on.

There is no longer a positive team atmosphere - everything is us vs them. Finger pointing and blame are constantly happening, often by company members who haven't walked a mile in the other teams shoes.

And there are managers that should NOT be managers - treating people the way that they do is unethical in my opinion.

Employees are overworked in some departments, and pulling in a pay check for nothing in others - there needs to be balance!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to us! Some of us have been around longer than you have, and have some really great ideas on how to make things better. Some of us remember looking forward to coming to work everyday, and can offer feedback on how to make that happen again.

Get rid of the dead-weight employees, and keep the ones that are great at their job. And don't base the decision on either of those opinions on your "golden people" - Ask around!

Have some inter-team training - have client services people onsite for a few implementations, so they can see how challenging clients can be, and how it's not always the implementation team's fault that something is working the way the client expected. Have implementers shadow client services first line so they can see the kinds of calls that are coming in, so that maybe they can adjust how or what they are training. Have sales get down into the pits with both areas, so they can see the consequences of promising pieces to the software that aren't possible.

And as a manager, been respectful to us. There was probably a day in the past that you were one of us, and you should treat us how you would like to be treated

Unhealthy Work Environment/Leadership. AVOID

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

Prosthere are and have been some great people working for this company.
    I believe compensation and other perks the company offered were fair.

ConsIt's been a few years since I've been there but I keep hearing the same negative comments from people I still know there, or have connected with me, seeing that I once worked there. A fish rots from the head down - this is QHR Software in a nutshell. The COO of QHR Software has been referred to by a number of people I know as a sociopath and from my experience working with him I would have to say the same thing. Some serious personal help/counseling is needed there. Other reviewers on this site have used some pretty harsh words to describe the leadership - mean, insensitive, bullying, etc. Unfortunately they are all true. The Management team cowers, blames and throw others under the bus in fear. This is not a happy environment and not one I would recommend to anyone. I am baffled that this behavior is allowed to continue, and has been for several years now.

Advice to Senior Managementbeen there, done that. 'Get some help' to one. 'Stand up for yourself' to the others. You have to look in the mirror every day.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

Pros- There are still a few hard working and decent people who work here.
    - Benefits are pretty good with stock matching program, RSP matching etc.
    - Nice physical office environment.
    - The hours are not crazy.
    - Good industry to be part of.
    - Provide good technology tools. I’m amazed at the endless technology budget.
    - Since there are arbitrary rules, if you are on the right side of the president, you can get a big raise when others are told there is no money.

Cons- Many people during their interviews are never told the whole truth or outright lied to.

- It’s a culture of CYA – Management is quick to punish you for trying something new or coming up with an idea. So, people keep their heads down to just do their job.

- The senior leaders are unbalanced as they like to psychologically bully employees to make them feel they don’t know anything.

- It’s a revolving door of people. They quickly fire people without giving any helpful feedback or a chance to develop. Little if any effort is made to develop employees in skills development at all.

- It’s a comedy how many in the sales department have come and gone.

- The management don’t want to hear advice from anyone – unless it’s their idea.

- It’s very sad that the senior leaders don’t have a clue of how to manage or motivate people, and don’t really care to learn. Most of the people who could make a difference in the company don’t stick around very long. They have already left.

- When employee survey results come out, the president makes excuses or blames bad scores on people that must have left. So - no one takes the survey seriously anymore.

- Don’t be fooled by “best place to work in BC”. This award is only based on what the company tells them on paper of what benefits the company offers. They never actually survey employees.

- Programming skills are not at all up to date because the company doesn’t improve or develop their products. Most people in Kelowna only keep working for QHR because there are so few jobs right now. When things pick up, people will leave.

- Poor customers have paid support and maintenance for years, and the money likely went to buying other companies rather than updating the products.

- The company says ethics are a value but the top brass don’t even show any ethics in how they deal in business or with people.

- This company is not about making a difference in health care, it’s about the top people dumping the company and living a luxury Kelowna lifestyle.

- If you value your career, think twice before joining this company. It is the worst company I have worked for.

Advice to Senior Management- Employees really want this to be a good company, but there are a few leaders who don’t know or don’t care to learn how to make it a great company. Some of you are too proud and arrogant. It's all about you.

- As someone who buys shares in the company, I wish the board of directors would recognize that the founder should leave and make room for a proper CEO to help the company grow properly. We no longer need a president who only likes shopping for sparkly new companies, then quickly gets bored of them.

- Get rid of those senior leaders who abuse employees and do nothing to improve the business. It’s obvious who they are. Just ask HR who has the most complaints.

- You hired smart and creative people – some that are often smarter and more creative than you. We want you to stop making us listen to the drone of your voice long enough to hear once in a while the ideas of your employees and act on them. You have lost the trust of your people, and we have lost respect for you as leaders. Just because you have an MBA doesn't mean you can run a company successfully.

- Stop being so arrogant about your products and realize that the industry has passed you by as the competition is developing their products faster. And since we have never actually made our own software (we bought it through companies we took over), we’re in trouble. If RIM died, we could be next.

Textbook Example of a Poorly Run Company

(Current Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsThere are some very good people who do a good job and make incompetent senior management look good. Some people continue to do a great job under terrible conditions.

ConsSomeone should use QHR as a case study for an article about how not to run a company. Incompetent senior management. Environment of bullying, threats, and intimidation. HR knows what's going on, but doesn't do anything about it. Company has become a joke among other high tech companies. Employees are overworked, have no idea what they are supposed to do, and sometimes are terminated for no reason. No real opportunities for advancement. Good employees are punished, bad employees are offered promotions. This company has no respect for its employees and some of the managers are vindictive, nasty people who have no compassion.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the managers are great. Just keep doing what you are doing. Bad managers (you know who you are) do everyone a favor and leave. Or, start treating people with respect.

Good intentions BUT software needs a major overhaul...no longer competitive.

(Current Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsSome employees across all departments are still committed and care about the future direction of the company.

ConsSenior management is not doing a good job of instilling confidence, morale or excitement. The lack of motivation from employees is very apparent. The company faces many challenges ahead. Expectations from management are unrealistic and no one has job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people are hard to find. Focus on keeping existing employees content. Focus on areas of the business which can have an immediate impact.

Worked for QHR Technologies? Contribute to the Community!