QLogic

Updated December 10, 2014
3.1

QLogic CEO Prasad Rampalli
Prasad Rampalli

Pros
  • Work environment was very good and salary & benefits excellent (in 9 reviews)

• Good people - high level of expertise and generally work well together (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Executive Management pocketing cash bonuses while taking benefits away from employees (in 4 reviews)

• The work load can be very stressful due to staffing in certain departments (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

ASIC Design Verification

Former Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Shakopee, MN

I worked at QLogic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

just two days into internship and then the organization restructuring happened. Sad. But I was hoping to learn more and was excited about the work.

Cons

I found it funny when the security was using a digital camera to click picture of employee for ID card

I do not know what to say!

It is average

I have been working at QLogic

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Unorginized, need to plan better

Plan better

Good employees. Horrible management.

I have been working at QLogic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are decent. Everyone in the same boat trying to survive and not be a victim of the next layoff. Some really smart, nice, hard working people. Has lots of potential.

Cons

Most of the smart, nice, hard working people have been stressed to the max by management. Work load extremely high. 60-80 hours a week pretty common. NO home life working in engineering groups. People are completely stressed. Shouting matches are common. Yelling, swearing at each other from offices and in the office area are common. Everyone too stressed out because of long work hours and poor planning driven by management. I've personally been told several times after saying there is too much work to handle "I don't care! Just get it done" This is common from management. They really don't care and just care about the deadlines. No empathy or appreciation of employees doing the work. Just work, work, work or get laid off next round seems to be the theme. Very short staffed for amount of worked needed to be done. Knowledgeable employees who get things done end up getting more work dumped on them from people who can't do the job. Workload can be very uneven in groups. Another example of the workaholic attitude of management. The team you are acquiring gets done with the old job at 10 -11 am and they are to report to the new job 20 miles away at 2 pm the same day. How do those people feel leaving their old company and friends and they need to report to work that same day a couple hours later. Can't have them not working for a couple hours. That's the M.O. here.

Care about the employees. Don't treat them like robots you can work 24/7. Make an effort to reduce work hours or let people work from home once in a while so they can actually see family members.

Great place to retire, bad place to start out

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer

I have been working at QLogic as a contractor

Pros

The pay is excellent. The work environment is very lax. Most of the employees I met were very intelligent, talented people, being veterans of the trade. In fact, several employees were retired at another company and there for the fun. The management has a very hands-on approach to the development, which I appreciated. A sort of start-up environment with a big-company budget.

Cons

Very few perks. Most of the employees are older than I by many years. The technology they use in general is ancient because of lack of support by the driver people (not bad on them to develop in the same environment they test on, though). Expect the experiences with management to vary widely. Some are great, some not so much.

More perks, more up-to-date Linux tech.

Fast paced

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Roseville, CA

I have been working at QLogic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow. It's been pretty easy for me to find pieces of work that need to be done that are interesting projects. I also like how managers are individual contributors as well so it makes it less likely that they become out of touch with the challenges that engineers face daily.

Cons

One problem with always promoting the management staff form the engineer ranks is that the skill set required to be a good manager is sometimes hard to find in an engineer. Also, those that are promoted to a management role don't seem to get any training in the new position.

Set up some type of training for the new managers so that they can become more effective.

QLogic Response

Mar 31, 2014‎Sr. Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you have found opportunities to grow and learn at QLogic!

In response to your comment regarding management training, QLogic offers a full day
    ... More

qlogic

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at QLogic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

friendly environment, friendly people, great locations

Cons

uncertain future, career path and company's future path of growth is not clear

Good company

I have been working at QLogic

Pros

Nice work env. Good work. Reasonable pay

Cons

Company is not growing. Stock same last 10 years

No good memories, no bad memories.

Former Employee - Management in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at QLogic full-time

Pros

Development of leading edge technologies.

Cons

Executive management is clueless since HK stopped running the company.

Whatever you are doing now, stop and do something different, before it's too late.

good technical experience but the upper management doesn't care about employees as much.

Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer
    Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer

I have been working at QLogic full-time

Pros

learn new things, work on multiple things and your input gets valued depending on the team you are.

Cons

office culture is boring, no activities for the employees

upper management shoud interest in the lives of employees

Lack of Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at QLogic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Lots of potential with smart people if they can get direction. individual groups are good to work with, but cross pollination doesn't happen

Cons

Lack of leadership and silo's keep employees from collaborating. Lack of vision and new technology will keep Q in the fading storage industry without many options

Hopefully the new CEO will be empowered to make changes and grow the company. Not very confident about that though.