QS/1 Reviews

Tammy Devine

1. The grass isn't greener, but it is well fertilized

Current Employee - Hardware Technician
    Current Employee - Hardware Technician

I have been working at QS/1 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits package is pretty amazing: company car that they suggest you use for your personal vehicle as well. They pay for your fuel, insurance and maintenance, and at the end of the year, they add your personal mileage to your W2 (you basically pay taxes on your mileage at the rate of .10 per mile). Yearly bonuses and a Christmas bonus, in addition to annual raises and 15% of your annual salary is deposited into your 401K by JM Smith. You don't have to add a single cent into it yourself.

Cons

The management staff in some regions are notoriously difficult and clearly have favorites. There is a definite disconnect between the Regional Operations Supervisor and the Regional Manager in my particular region to be sure. The rules change every other week and it isn't uncommon to be chastised for something that you were told to do two weeks prior by the same person who is chastising you.

Advice to Management

There needs to be better communication between your regional supervisors and regional managers. When one person tells you something that is a possibility, it should only be after conferring with the chain of command so that when an employee asks about it, he's not told that "we don't allow that." Especially when the person telling you that we don't allow that is the subordinate of the person who suggested it. Case in point: my Regional Manager told myself and my co-worker that we could make changes to our schedule if necessary so long as the office isn't left unmanaged. My Regional Supervisor then told me that the hours cannot be changed under any circumstances.

2. A Great Place to Work (If you know the Management)

I worked at QS/1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great 401k contribution and bonuses

Cons

There is very little to no room for advancement unless you know the right people. Talented employees have been passed over for promotion on multiple occasions in favor of the 'favorites'. The company fails to embrace advancing technology, preferring to rest on their laurels and profits that Powerline product provides. HR overlooks ethical and harassment issues with a "Good Ol' Boy" attitude.

Advice to Management

Consider stepping into the 21st century with your code, hardware, and HR policies. Promote talent. Accept constructive criticism from employees and realize that new ideas are the key to continued growth.

QS/1 is good for the area

I have been working at QS/1 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the area the corporate office is located, it is a good company. The pay is average to above average. The benefits are average to above average. Stock options available. 401k is awesome.

Cons

For a technology company, they are years behind. With the money the company makes, they could be cutting edge in the pharmacy software area again, but it would appear they have gotten fat and happy waiting on retirement. They are still riding on the back of the genius, Mr. Smith, that started the company. They need a modern Mr. Smith to spark a new era of innovation and inspiration.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the buddy system and nepotism there. I know the corporate world is a lot about "who you know", but you pass up a lot of high potential employees for somebody's golf buddy, cousin, nephew, in-law, spouse, child, etc. Hiring or promoting those people are fine as long as they are computer savvy people that will bring something to the workplace, not take away from it. Re-evaluate who you have working there. If they cannot tell you what version of Windows they are running or figure out how to navigate within a new operating system, trim the fat and get people in there that do know how. You have a knee high stack of resumes of people in the area waiting for a chance to shine.

5. Awful Company

Former Employee - Programmer II in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Programmer II in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at QS/1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the company contributes cash to your retirement account without you having to contribute. The amount of contribution is 15% of your salary.

Cons

Awful, awful engineering company. It uses a completely stagnant technology stack (based on ancient technology that they have kept alive through several layers of hacky emulation). It is where skills sets go to die. The only reason people work there is that it is the only programming game in town.

Incompetent management from bottom to top. Amazing awful executives when I worked there. Some only have their positions from nepotism with the CEO (high school GEDs managed all of Engineering at the time).

The management took pride in showing visitors the Support Floor -- over one hundred people screaming into telephones like the floor of a stock market. They never understood that if your software was really good, you would only need 5 really bored guys in a call center who do nothing all day...

Advice to Management

rearchitect the code from the ground up. fire 70% of your programmers. It does not take hundreds of people to code what you are trying to code.

6. Solid company overall, low turnover, frequent management changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at QS/1 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of few stable companies in the healthcare industry with little to no debt. Very good benefits package.

Cons

Home grown platform that hinders the company from keeping pace with competitors. Frequent management changes.

7. QS/1 is a good company to work for with financial security.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at QS/1

Pros

Benefit package, primarily the retirement package was outstanding.

Cons

Upper Management appears content with status quo and resting on past sucess.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to your competitors and relaize that they are gaining marketshare with a percentage coming from your existing user base. The cost to switch per claim in not competive to the marketplace. When pharmacies are gauging cost they are looking at total cost. Software maint. is higher than average. Many of the independants view their pharmacy system as equal to the others on the marketplace and the primary interest in changing vendors is based on total cost of ownership.

RSS Feed </> Embed