QVC

Updated November 15, 2014
3.3

QVC President and CEO Mike George
Mike George

Pros
  • In terms of work/life balance, QVC is a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

• Great employee discount, nice work environment, friendly people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Planning does a better job with work life balance initiatives than Merchandising does (in 14 reviews)

• 24/7 Schedule - expect to be asked to work holiday weekends, with nothing but a "thanks" (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

It is what you make of it, although those efforts will require much.

Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Right now is a very interesting time for the organization, which I find tremendously exciting. When things happen, they happen fast and I feel we are a very relevant player in our marketplace. My team is the best one I have ever had the privilege of leading, and together we work towards the best impact for our business partners. The director of my team in a terrific advocate for change and process improvement, and I do feel that I learn something new on a regular basis. If anything, my decision to join QVC has resulted in a great deal of professional growth and exposure to a very diverse set of teams.

Cons

I believe the company is working towards change, and doing what they can to remove roadblocks (although, that's a bit of a process to say the least). Generally, the culture is improving, but it still seems to be one of permission rather than one of healthy innovation and exploration. As a veteran in my field, I expect a certain degree of latitude and decision making. Sometimes I am allowed that, but more often the case is that I just proceed while securing as much buy-in as possible from my immediate team.

Also, keep in mind that there are those that are a little too comfortable during their time with the company. I've experienced everything from the easily-threatened to the self elected emperor, and navigating those types of co-workers will test you. The flip side to that is that there are talented, highly motivated partners in other teams that will make great allies. You just have to find them, which will require you to get out of your area and do some serious relationship building.

Management makes great attempts to "be visible", but the nature of the company makes those efforts seem rushed. Don't look at your watch, your smartphone, or anything else that takes away from your engagement with you reports. Have a seat, and just be real. It will pay off immeasurably. Empathy is a two-way street, and sharing your world with ours will bring us closer together.

I was a summer 2014 Merchandise Buying Intern in Designer Apparel

Former Employee - Merchandise Buying in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Buying in West Chester, PA

I worked at QVC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a great summer working at QVC. The buying team that I was a part of was so willing to help me with any questions that I could have possibly come up with and they really treated me like a real employee rather than just an intern. It was great to be able to meet with other employees and talk about their line of work so I was able to get exposure to almost every aspect of QVC. I can't speak for the rest of the company but the training for the buying offices was absolutely amazing and extensive, I'm sure the other areas do it just as well. I would highly recommend interning here.

Cons

I honestly can not say anything negative about my time spent at QVC. The days did get a little bit repetitive but that is to be expected with any company/job. The cafe made me sick whenever I ate there but that can easily be fixed if you just pack your own lunch!

Prepaid Risk

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Easy hire, not likely to be fired

Cons

Everyone has their own version of the policy

Get together and get on the same page

Not the worst but also not the best

Current Employee - IT Professional in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, Credit union on site. QVC Difference experience. Keeps up with the latest technologies. Great Development team (IT). Job stability

Cons

No room for growth. Came here with the expectations that QVC is big on career growth and promoting within - NOT TRUE! You don't get promoted unless you are favored - it doesn't matter how hard you work it goes unnoticed because you are not a fav. Only the favs get perks like working from home and promotions. A lot of favoritism.
    Pay is low compared to most IT Positions at other companies. No structure in IT. No appreciation to their teams and no trust. Managers don't know how to manage some do not even have IT backgrounds! I felt misled when I took this position. They rather invest in hiring contractors than to promote within and give the money to its current employees.
    Not recognition to employees for the hard work and hours put in. They expect you to do the next level's work or job but won't give you the promotion/title or the pay for the work your doing

Managers & supervisors should have to take the QVC difference at least once a year. Grow the company within rather than thinking hiring an outsider or an contractor is the solution. Make your employees feel valued and appreciated. STOP FORCE RANKING! Hire managers and supervisors that care about their teams. Promote from within! Pay attention to the Q perspectives and show us change!

Great Work Place

Current Employee - Q/A in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Q/A in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and salary and discount on products they sell. You can get your dry cleaning , car fixed, travel plans, mail, banking and research, breakfast lunch and dinner all available onsite.

Cons

They push the QVC difference and values a lot it really is not a bad thing but some coworkers will make fun of you if you (drink the kool aide).

I was there when they had their mass layoffs, they could of given us way more notice then they did.

The benefits are good but the pay could be better. They genuinely care about their employees but have untrained and unskilled management and supervisors

Former Employee - Returns Processor in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Returns Processor in Lancaster, PA

I worked at QVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health benefits and time off however the pay is not very good

Cons

Hours suck....430am for first shift. Seriously who decided that's a good idea?

Communication within the company is horrendous and it very frustrating also a lot of favoritism

I love it!

Current Employee - Order Entry Representative in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Order Entry Representative in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at QVC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very welcoming atmosphere comfortable and clean workstations.

Cons

No cons at this time to list.

Great place to work

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In terms of work/life balance, QVC is a great place to work. All 4 bosses I've had thus far are always accomodating in terms of time of off, working from home, etc. The culture is great and the people are for the most part easy to work with.

Cons

The pay is not the best, but I believe the work/life balance makes up for that. If you're looking for a place where you can work hard and really get ahead, this is probably not it. There's a great amount of red tape and resistance to change which is sometimes hard to deal with.

IT Audit

I worked at QVC full-time

Pros

Best culture you can will find, great people, work / life balance, and the flexibility to move around within the company

Cons

There are not too many cons

Going downhill fast....

Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The immediate people you interact with day to day are the best. The discount and the health benefits are great. Your going to need the health benefits once QVC get's done burning you out and discarding you.

Cons

Supervisors only care about making their bonus' and hitting their goals. They don't care about their people.

All employees should get stock in the company not just certain levels. We all work extremely hard to make billions of dollars for the stockholders.

QVC Photos