QVC

Updated February 25, 2015
3.5

QVC President and CEO Mike George
Mike George

Pros
  • In terms of work/life balance, QVC is a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

• Great employee discount, nice work environment, friendly people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Planning does a better job with work life balance initiatives than Merchandising does (in 14 reviews)

• 24/7 Schedule - expect to be asked to work holiday weekends, with nothing but a "thanks" (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

I worked at QVC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at QVC. I thought they put a lot of trust in their employees to make decisions regarding their particular job duties - i.e. there wasn't a lot of micro-managing going on, like I've seen in other companies. The company provided a lot of perks and benefits and had relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

The technology in my department was a little on the out-dated side, especially for a company as large as QVC.

Temporary model

Current Employee - Model in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Model in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC

Pros

Exciting environment. Fun job. Flexible hours

Cons

Would have liked a longer assignment

Top-Notch Employer

Current Employee - Copywriter
    Current Employee - Copywriter

I have been working at QVC

Pros

Excellent corporate culture. Great values and the people who work there are wonderful. Great health benefits. Ecommuting opportunities depending on your department. Diverse job opportunities if you want to switch careers.

Cons

Salaries are about $15,000 less a year than the national average. It would be one thing if we were sitting around with nothing to do half the day; however, we're regularly working overtime and not seeing the benefit of it in our paychecks. Very disheartening.

Pay your employees better. It's important.

Overall positive experience

I have been working at QVC

Pros

Many opportunities for growth and participation in many exciting event and initiatives

Cons

Below average compensation and lack of promotions

QVC has a great culture, and treats employees very well.

Current Employee - Order Entry Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Order Entry Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at QVC

Pros

Benefits, management and environment are excellent.

Cons

As a phone operator, your breaks and lunch are scheduled.

Stressful, but worth it.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at QVC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for the late shift. Thorough training in classroom and on the job. Steady scheduling. Great onsite store and restaurant. Great time-off policies!

Cons

Managers watching you constantly. Some condescending team supervisors. Sometimes it can get confusing where you can sit, due to lack of team organization.

Weekly or monthly reviews of team supervisors, filled out by their team members.

Once a great place to work but now shifting away from placing value on employees - the greatest resource of any company

Former Employee - IT Manager in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in West Chester, PA

I worked at QVC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and compensation. Good working conditions. The staff has great intentions and will usually go out of their way for each other.

Cons

QVC had placed great emphasis on changing and maintaining the culture and climate, but in past years the drive and desire has diminished. Employees are no longer valued for who they are and what they know. Many of them greatly contributed to positioning this company to where it is today. Not a great work/life balance. Everyone is driven to take their job home with them.

Senior Management, listen to your employees. They may know best, not outside consultants.

Great team, but high pressure

Former Employee - Order Entry Representative in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - Order Entry Representative in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I worked at QVC part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The management legitmately care about the employees and offer help whenever they can. The company does little things, like serve breakfast and dinner during peak times and holidays. Scheduling was very flexable, they give each on-call employee a generous amount of unpaid time off, and part-time and full-time employees earn paid time off.

Cons

The customers are extremely demanding and can be very rude. QVC lets their customers get away with anything they want. If a customer is cursing at you, and you hang up on them, you will be fired. There are times where customers have made me cry because they are so rude. QVC wants you to complete a call in less than 96 seconds, which is unrealistic. This puts added stress on the OE Rep, because they have to provide excellent customer service, answer any and all questions the customer has, and they often have to explain how a certain item works or how easy pay works. All under 96 seconds. Often times, a call will average around 140 seconds. If you repeatedly don't make your talk time goal, you will be coached, then put into a retraining program. Eventually, if there is no sign of progress, they will terminate you.

Would like to better mysafe

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Florence, SC

I worked at QVC full-time

Pros

Forklift. .loud truck .stock .

Cons

Learn more trying to be a better person

Good work with people

Why/when did the values/ethics change?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

I worked at QVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working for QVC would be the work/life balance. There is plenty of paid vacation and personal time to use throughout the year. They are willing to give other time off if needed.

Cons

I have always been taught - if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything.

My advice to management or ERO would be to get both sides of a situation/story before it goes into a personal improvement plan/corrective action setting. Read the self input of employees that are being put on a PIP/CA and when the input (employee - manager) is polar opposite - find the root cause. Don't lose a dedicated/going above and beyond employee to ethical/core values not being followed by the management team.

QVC Photos