www.qvc.com

Updated January 28, 2015
3.4

QVC President and CEO Mike George
Mike George

Pros
  • In terms of work/life balance, QVC is a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

• Great employee discount, nice work environment, friendly people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Planning does a better job with work life balance initiatives than Merchandising does (in 14 reviews)

• 24/7 Schedule - expect to be asked to work holiday weekends, with nothing but a "thanks" (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

QVC practices what they preach.

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package
    Competitive salary
    Will promote from within
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

Favoritism can be shown occasionally.

everything was fine

Former Employee - Shipping Associate in Rocky Mount, NC
    Former Employee - Shipping Associate in Rocky Mount, NC

I worked at QVC part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the people are helpful and friendly

Cons

working part-time is hard to get hours

so so

Former Employee - Packing Specialist in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Packing Specialist in Lancaster, PA

I worked at QVC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benifets are goods for a private copany

Cons

it is always rush ,rush,rush

A great place to work

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I could not imagine a better place to work. The QVC culture is amazing, colleagues are very friendly, collaborative, creative and always dedicated to improve the customer experience. Senior management communicates to employees regularly and ensures transparency and alignment with QVC values. Work life balance as well as fun along the way are important and taken seriously. Simply a very fun and engaging place to work!

Cons

Over-collaboration can sometimes slow us down

Current Employee - Order Entry Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Order Entry Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at QVC

Pros

Great work environment, no pressure

Cons

none at this time, QVC is a wonderful place to work

none

Just answer the phone fast, quick and move on to next call.

Current Employee - Order Services in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Order Services in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at QVC part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work full time you can get a good benefit package. Part-timers and On call are on their own with health care. Since company is operational all the time you can expect to find workable hours almost all the time. QVC offers many schedules. QVC likes changes so expect many changes to occur randomly.
    Vacation time, Personal Leave (emergency time), Floating Holidays, Point schedule (general absences), Switches, Time off without pay, are time off options. Once you learn the best way to use them, the system can work. Takes time to understand it all.
    The job of answering the phone and taking orders or helping the customer is easy enough. Most of the co-workers there are wonderful people.
    They offer 'work from home' as a great option but do not allow full time order services to work from home but do allow most all the others On Call, Part time, Customer Care/Service (even their full time) all to work from home if they meet certain criteria.

Cons

QVC over the past 20+ years has change it culture several times yet has not really admitted to changing it once. It has gone from a company that supported its employees, enriched employees, listened to its employees, helped-informed its employees to almost the direct opposite. Health insurance plans (HMO/PPO options) are still great but costs more and more each year and now with a deductible. The point system changes to benefit the Q without notice. What once we could do easily we can no longer do even though what we could do is still part of the policy. To which they have never clarified ( I have not received policy updated for over 5 years now).
    They have cut out being able to work Overtime as the employee might need to make $$ ends meet at home instead the only ALLOW it when it benefits the company. Staffing is very off many days and the Q loves to work with a skeleton crew staffing the phones so no more breathing space between calls even during the slow season.
    The Q has a one blanket fits all approach to every situation that comes up. Managers are too busy trying to keep their jobs to support their employees nevertheless to get to know them. In fact the less they know about an employee the happier they are about getting their job done. Yet, if you need a manager or supervisor they are mostly their for you if they are Not in a meeting (which seems like a constant event).
    AHT (call average time) is a bear. They tell us to take care of all aspects of the customers call with minute detail yet expect every call all day to be the same short sweet on and off call. Don't meet your monthly mark expect to be written up. What the Q doesn't take into account are the differences in employee's personality, speed ability, and of course the customers who up until this time has always set the pace of each call.
    Required hours are hard to meet for some reps with home/life issues. Required hours are never dealt with fairly yet the Q wants everything fair (see above blanket policy) as long as it benefits the company and no exceptions are allowed and they WILL NOT work with you on a compromise solution to your situation that helps you and still benefits the company.
    The training of new hires is short and sweet. Where once we could go into details for the new hire the Q now expects them to pick everything up quickly. So there is a fairly large on the job learning curve. Since simple work time management is not taught many new hires are lost before they get out of training.
    The Q says it wants employees to manage Work/life. Employees want to manage Life/work. The Q demonstrates that they only want employees to work, not have a life or much of one specially a family situation outside of work that causes loss of work. Unless you can get FMLA (which the company never explains to the employees most learn about it from other employees) don't expect the Q to understand your situation.
    Everyone cares on a personal level about each other... even management. Just never expect that 'care' to translate into positive action for a personal situation.
    The Q went from a company wanting to take care of its employees and customers to a company driven by numbers.

You don't have to revert to the origins of the Q, you just need to reconnect to what made the Q a terrific place to work from back then and bring it forward. The q has lost its fun along the way attitude.
    The lack of actions behind the 'caring' of management is abhorrent. We all have lives that take up our time outside the Q. Understand and ACT. allow management who works with the employees to take proper actions FOR the employees. Don't tie their hands with platitudes and no support.
    During this year's big mass schedule change many people ended up with poor schedules and quit. knowing that people could not would not get schedule they needed (not wanted but NEEDED) to be able to manage their life management understood but still would not work 'with' employee to get a 'special' needed schedule to keep employee status. Instead the Q just let people lose their jobs or benefit status. Care more Q, and act.
    When many companies are trying to support their employees with fun events, allowing personalization of cubicals, and ACTIVELY helping employees manage their life and work, the Q is going backwards. Where once we had our own cubical (and we felt appreciated) we now have none.
    A bottle of water and a snack is not recognizing an employee. it helps but just that one day. Once upon a time for the Holiday Meal/Celebration we would get a whole hour off the phones to mix, mingle, enjoy teammates and feel appreciated. All we needed was good food, good company and the time to enjoy all. Now we are lucky to get half-an-hour ( if you work full time,,, 15 minutes for PT). No time to chat, just get your blasé food, eat and head back to the headset. No time to feel appreciated, just time enough to eat.
    The new culture is a fearful culture at the Q. We fear getting fired for being overweight, not reaching AHT goals, for missing work because an elderly parent went missing for over 12 hours, because a special needs child needed more special attention, can't make the required hours do to limits of time that can be worked. We have a life work WITH us on managing that life and keeping our jobs. It can be done.
    Note that even reps who say "its a great place to work" are also telling co-workers how horrible it is. The Q has potential for being the BEST call center work out there, but it lacks in its ability to accomplish that because it is all about the number generated. WE are not computers, our job is hard enough without the pressures of fear. It is time to recognize the individual strengths of your call centers employees and utilize those strengths to your benefit. QVC likes change when then change and create new opportunities catering to the employee's strength. Celebrate the individuals at your call center, not on paper but in their job. No one likes a job, but most all people love a career even the basic employee would like to have a career. Turn the job into a career. NO one should say "At least I have a job". They should say "I have a wonderful career with QVC". funny. last 10 years working for the company all I hear is "at least I have a job".

Call center work.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I worked at QVC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good insurance, close to home

Cons

Rules, restrictions, and performance parameters were increasingly hard to meet. I know someone that worked there for over ten years that was cut for a 30 second difference in the monthly talk time. I guess it's just cheaper to hire a new person... *shrug* Some of the required hours and/or overtime were far removed from the possibility of a regular sleep/family schedule. Very much a place where the right people have to like you, for you to advance or stay. I'd say 'good ole boys club' but there are more women in the higher positions.

People care. People matter. People are not only a number. Advancing someone into a job, that's already been doing it as a fill in, from your current workforce, is better that hiring a cheaper person from an external source. People should be able to use the bathroom when they need to, and not have to break it out of the lunch half hour, if they can produce medical referrals to back it up.

It is what you make of it, although those efforts will require much.

Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Right now is a very interesting time for the organization, which I find tremendously exciting. When things happen, they happen fast and I feel we are a very relevant player in our marketplace. My team is the best one I have ever had the privilege of leading, and together we work towards the best impact for our business partners. The director of my team in a terrific advocate for change and process improvement, and I do feel that I learn something new on a regular basis. If anything, my decision to join QVC has resulted in a great deal of professional growth and exposure to a very diverse set of teams.

Cons

I believe the company is working towards change, and doing what they can to remove roadblocks (although, that's a bit of a process to say the least). Generally, the culture is improving, but it still seems to be one of permission rather than one of healthy innovation and exploration. As a veteran in my field, I expect a certain degree of latitude and decision making. Sometimes I am allowed that, but more often the case is that I just proceed while securing as much buy-in as possible from my immediate team.

Also, keep in mind that there are those that are a little too comfortable during their time with the company. I've experienced everything from the easily-threatened to the self elected emperor, and navigating those types of co-workers will test you. The flip side to that is that there are talented, highly motivated partners in other teams that will make great allies. You just have to find them, which will require you to get out of your area and do some serious relationship building.

Management makes great attempts to "be visible", but the nature of the company makes those efforts seem rushed. Don't look at your watch, your smartphone, or anything else that takes away from your engagement with you reports. Have a seat, and just be real. It will pay off immeasurably. Empathy is a two-way street, and sharing your world with ours will bring us closer together.

I was a summer 2014 Merchandise Buying Intern in Designer Apparel

Former Employee - Merchandise Buying in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Buying in West Chester, PA

I worked at QVC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had a great summer working at QVC. The buying team that I was a part of was so willing to help me with any questions that I could have possibly come up with and they really treated me like a real employee rather than just an intern. It was great to be able to meet with other employees and talk about their line of work so I was able to get exposure to almost every aspect of QVC. I can't speak for the rest of the company but the training for the buying offices was absolutely amazing and extensive, I'm sure the other areas do it just as well. I would highly recommend interning here.

Cons

I honestly can not say anything negative about my time spent at QVC. The days did get a little bit repetitive but that is to be expected with any company/job. The cafe made me sick whenever I ate there but that can easily be fixed if you just pack your own lunch!

Worked there for 7 years.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at QVC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid ok, employees were nice people to work with.

Cons

Management and staff didn't care for their employees and were really harsh in their depends. very unprofessional

Treat employees nicer and listen to them.

QVC Photos