QVC

Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

QVC President and CEO Mike George
Mike George

Pros
  • In terms of work/life balance, QVC is a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

• Great employee discount, nice work environment, friendly people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Planning does a better job with work life balance initiatives than Merchandising does (in 14 reviews)

• 24/7 Schedule - expect to be asked to work holiday weekends, with nothing but a "thanks" (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

miss working there

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer

I worked at QVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, career growth, great culture, good leadership, great discount, company is on the rise

Cons

Difficult to get promoted at times. Need to be in the in crowd. Tend to under pay their employees

Amazing opportunity, can have tons of fun and make a huge impact, but not a great work-life balance.

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Such a diverse company - so much happening, it's impossible to be bored or feel stuck. Lots of lateral mobility. Bonus random celebrity sightings! Anyone can literally come up with a million dollar idea and figure out how to execute it on air or online.

Cons

Not a great work-life balance, especially when the "store" is open 24 hours a day, 364 days a year. Also, you know what they say, crap rolls down hill. Can be very tough for the people lowest on the totem pole. Not unusual for the most junior merchants to work well into the evening hours during a normal work week, and even come in on weekends to finish up the "boring" parts of their job (tracking PO's and inventory loading status for shows, processing the Open to Buy, requesting and following up on RA requests for bad inventory, submitting items for Quality Assurance inspection, etc.), so that they had time during the day to tag along and do the more "fun" aspects of their job (vendor meetings and presentations, host meetings, etc.). Becomes infinitely more difficult to manage when you have a family to juggle as well, especially babies and young children not in school. There is a general sentiment of "we understand, but we still expect you to be a top performer and put the company first."

Challenging but rewarding

Former Employee - Associate Buyer in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Buyer in West Chester, PA

I worked at QVC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, every day is different, it's never boring. Always lots of events going on: celebrity meet and greets, sample sales, new product launches. There is always something going on. There is a lot of room for growth here bad opportunities to move around. Employees are encouraged to move around within the company and learn about new businesses. I felt like I was making a direct impact towards the goals of the company.

Cons

Can be really stressful, Merchandising requires a lot of extra hours depending on who you work for. Sometimes it's easy to get burned out. Work life balance can be a real challenge. Planning does a better job with work life balance initiatives than Merchandising does.

Easy day

Former Employee - Data Entry in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I worked at QVC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work kind managers every day is basically the same fun to talk to most people

Cons

There aren't many i guess just sitting in one place and them listening in on random calls

More incentives for top employees

A great place to work!

Former Employee - Email Marketing Project Coordinator in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Email Marketing Project Coordinator in West Chester, PA

I worked at QVC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, and great people.

Cons

Could be a little less conservative, and be open to new work-life balancing.

Horrible communication, was fired without notice

I worked at QVC

Pros

Flexible hours. Company store and many benefits.

Cons

Was told very little, all senior advisors were of little to no help. Everyone I talked to was nice to my face but did very little to help me. Did not tell me my employment was terminated, even though they claim to

Call your employees! Actually do your job.

Run

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at QVC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Check every two weeks and most co-workers are friendly as well as helpful. That's all I can muster.

Cons

Supervisors lacks emotional intelligence and shouldn't be allowed to anywhere near a flea let alone a human.

Grow up.

It has its ups and downs, mostly downs

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You'll meet some very knowledgeable people.

Cons

Passive aggressive managers, poor pay, understaffed because managers get a bonus based on being under budget, Absolute loyalty is expected but not returned. Many bosses are moved into departments of which they know nothing. Promotions are more about sociability rather than competence.

You need to go back to the raise schedule before the recession. There is no incentive to shoot for an outstanding on your review when the best possible raise you can get is 3.5%. Newsflash, inflation is higher than that! Quit promoting idiots just because you like hanging out with them.

Great Place to work

I have been working at QVC full-time

Pros

Culture, entrepreneurial spirit, senior management, benefits

Cons

Work life balance, demanding hours, tons of meetings, global strategy, a lot of legacy employees who are unwilling to embrace change.

"Run Forest, Run"

Current Employee - Senior Level Skilled Professional in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Level Skilled Professional in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts and pretty building

Cons

The best thing most employees will say about this company are the discounts. That in itself is disturbing. Management at QVC spends a majority of it's time self promoting. If you are talented, confident, and assertive you will quickly be labeled cocky or too aggressive in this organization and your efforts will be sabotaged. Upper management has found a clever way to self promote, it's called "reorganization". This is a chronic occurrence that always produces promotions out of the managers that initiate it. The hard working professionals and SMEs are never promoted. It's mind boggling to witness. It's also common to have managers in areas they know nothing about. I don't understand how the company is financially successful based upon it's internal business practices.

If you chose to work at this company take heed to the reviews. Particularly those of the Studio Park and Founders Park locations. Save yourself much aggravation and frustration of looking for a new job a year later. This is not am empowering environment for an up and coming talent. They dishonestly claim to appreciate your abilities while sabotaging your growth with resentful labeling. The environment is like one big high school looking to haze the new kid.

The worker bees that have been with the company for a while are scared to speak up about the atrocities that upper management poses on them and others. I've seen and heard racial comments, watched people be denied the opportunity to interview for promotions, people have their direct reports and authority stripped because another manager desired that opportunity, and employees not allowed to speak or participate in meetings. The HR team is nothing more than a prop that is completely out of touch offering no support or solutions to employees.

I can't stress enough to do your research before working here. Those that claim to love working for the company are likely in the click.

Give it an overhaul. The culture here is a fools paradise.

QVC Photos