Qantas

Be The First To
Add Photos

Qantas CEO and Director Alan Joyce

Alan Joyce

Great culture and great people.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThe culture and the people make Qantas what it is. I worked here 10+ years because of the wonderful opportunities to progress my career

ConsThe current financial situation is currently making this difficult with more and more work being expected of the reducing workforce. My work/life balance was not great but I really did enjoy what I did.

Great company with great people but lacks senior direction

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsExcellent staff development and travel opportunities

ConsLacks direction from senior management and difficult to plan for as the company is always in reactive mode.

A decent balance

Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsEnjoyable work atmosphere, Senior management are very participative, problems resolved fairly easily, commited and dedicated work team

ConsUnsociable hours, restricted benefits and further career opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Who you know - not what you know

Corporate Account Executive (Former Employee) Sydney (Vanuatu)

ProsBuilt on a good reputation and strong brand recognition

ConsExpectations to work overtime hours
    Unrealistic and unachievable goals and targets
    Management is old and stuffy, no room for fresh ideas
    Promotion is limited unless you know someone or are the manager's pet
    Micromanagers and over bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementShake up management team by bringing in people outside of industry, with fresh ideas and intelligence

Ever changing environment with constant shifting and restructuring

Sales, Customer Service, (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThe discounted travel is still a bonus although you have to be employed 7 years before getting a reasonable priority and a business class.

ConsWith so many levels of management room for flexibility within one area is very limited. Very rigid environment. In terms of personal growth in this market, the opportunities are very slim.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt has been known for a long time that there is a challenge of boosting the morale of employees, I worked in three departments and found this challenge comes down to the line manager.

Jurassic Park

Principal Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGreat benefits, strong brand, good remuneration, new offices, free parking (at mascot), good food choices, friendly people, something something something.

ConsToo many people have been there for too long.
    Government department mentality.
    Very hierarchical.
    Little job security.
    Uncertainty.
    Something something

Great Airline, but currently a toxic place to work in regards to the employer/employee relationship

Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsIconic airline with a huge history, very professional colleagues with immense knowledge, staff travel benefits and good pay and conditions.

ConsConstant turmoil, ever looming redundancy, lack of company direction. Zero promotion opportunities, low moral and way too many managers. Serious about change but bound down by its own red tape and its inability to cut through it.

Legacy airline trying to compete in a very competitive industry

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsStaff Travel, great people, pride in working for an Australian icon, flexible working conditions, ever changing industry, always something new, large company with many different divisions

Conspromotion opportunities are limited, performance management is limited, little incentive for good staff to stay, a mix of highly motivated staff mixed in with legacy staff that dont want to be around, but are too highly paid to leave

Advice to Senior Managementneed to confuse on professional development, improve performance management

Awesome!

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood pay and staff travel benefits; great people you work with; Excellent product and a well-respected company and I really liked working for them.

ConsLimited career opportunities as London-based; You know everybody as it's a small working environment (this could also be a pro though); Only one major destination as the company reduced it's size due to heavy operating losses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive London-based crew more opportunities!

Variety of challenges in a tough industry

Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsA huge variety of really interesting jobs in a very intellectually complex and diverse company. Opportunity to do lots of different things over a career.

ConsThe international business is facing very tough non-commercial competitors. The domestic business has been cutthroat but is likely to settle down into a duopoly market. There's a strong attitude of entitlement among many of the employee groups which makes it difficult to change the business to react to a different environment. Bonuses are unlikely. Seems to be no penalty for non-performance generally across the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo harder.

Worked for Qantas? Contribute to the Community!