Qimonda * Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Another company selling sand in a vast desert.

I have been working at Qimonda *

Pros

Historically a great place to advance from pure job performance. Balance of work life and family are good. The benefits are some of the best in the area.

Cons

In a failing market without any means to stand out from competition. Recently it is a struggling company that cannot control its cost. I am almost certain we will be either gobbled up or face financial ruin. I have little hope now that this company can turn itself around amidst very fierce competition. There is also almost zero communication between sites abroad and our North America factory.

Advice to Management

Need more proactive behavior, currently we are always reactive. Bureaucracy exist on every corner when trying to get the job done right. There is a huge disconnect between departments in the organization. There is almost zero accountability due to political correctness.

2. A real mixed bag

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Sandston, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Sandston, VA

I have been working at Qimonda *

Pros

Experience with contemporary technology. Central Virginia is a GREAT location. A diverse workforce. The high production volume is a great environment to practice statistical process control techniques, run to run control, and other process optimization tools.

Cons

Pure manufacturing site, with little development engineering content. Smaller industry player with uncertain future. Lots of content experts, but not a lot of sharing of the info. A real hodge-podge of systems due to the multiple past owners of the site.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking like an East German organization and start thinking like Samsung! Reduce layers of management. Reduce paperwork and approvals needed to implement process changes. Share more financial details with employees, such as orders, sales, overhead, on a site by site basis. We have no idea how profitable or how costly our site is to the full cluster.

3. Tradeoff

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Qimonda *

Pros

People- I have seen some very dynamic /friendly people at work who make it easy working for Qimonda. Qimonda, like other DRAM companies is facing plenty of challenges in this environment, but their benefits and work culture are much better than their competitors

Cons

Lack of clear focus/strategy. Qimonda relies too much on the market conditions. Compared to its competitors, Qimonda is slow to react to market changes

Advice to Management

Too many people at the management level doesn't improve the efficiency of the factory. Management should set a clear consistent strategy and provide the engineers with the resources they need to get the job done.

5. OK place to work for a year or two, but not for 5+ years.

I have been working at Qimonda *

Pros

The salary is good for the area. The benefits and vacation (5 weeks per year) are also good. The people are alright for the most part. The hours for salary employees are flexible and 40 hour work weeks are the norm.

Cons

There are too many managers and engineers for the size of the site. There are also too many levels of management. Several years ago there used to be company wide communications meetings monthly or bimonthly. Now we are lucky to have these meetings once per quarter. Everything is passed down through the management.
    All of the process engineers are expected to work on process improvement projects. However, there are large areas that run well and do not need to be improved upon.

Advice to Management

More communication directly from Senior Management, instead of through the department heads.

6. It takes two pigeons to make an eagle?

I have been working at Qimonda *

Pros

Qimonda/Infineon/Whiteoak has been a very good place to work but unfortunately semiconductor jobs are going oversees and there is nothing that we can do about it. Qimonda just seems to be a couple years behind everone and a little to late to get new products to market.

Cons

Job recognition is not paramount here. Too many bosses looking out for their own interests. Unfortunately some of the decisions that were made at this site seem to set the site up to fail.

Advice to Management

It takes a team in order to make an eagle fly... How many bosses are needed to ensure that the company is running correctly. We spend more time updating MTA's than actually doing the projects. This company is at the point where I do not feel that management trusts their employees- because if they did then the focus would be on the project instead of keeping management abreast on project status.

7. Qimonda.......seek employment at your own risk!

Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Qimonda *

Pros

The pay and time off are good if you have been here for over 5 years. The benefits package continues to be good because it has not been changed much since the company started as Whiteoak Semiconductor.This is the saving grace about employment here.

Cons

There is a complete vacuum of leadership in middle management. This is coupled with upper management being completely isolated from the general employee population. There is a total disconnect between what managment thinks motivates the employee's and what the reality of peoples motivation. There is a complete lack of motivation with many different groups of employee's.

Advice to Management

Start talking honestly with the employee's and begin to have 2 way communication. There are many managers who have know idea what they are doing, who the people that work for them are, or what it takes to do the jobs they are suppose to be supervising. Wake up !!

8. Good in the beginning, falling apart over time due to poor management

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Sandston, VA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Sandston, VA

I worked at Qimonda *

Pros

Company was fantastic to work for during initial startup and ramp, but as company matured, the good people left. Open positions in management team were filled with inexperienced engineers often more interested in getting promoted than working for the companies success.

Cons

Management team is very inexperienced and immature. Money was very tight as memory market declined. My original compensation almost 10 years ago was more than what I was making when I left. Pay raises were weak and bonus payouts dropped from 30% to <10%.

Advice to Management

Clean out middle management, or at least make sure they know what their teams are working on. Give the engineers the tools, and resources to get their jobs done and them them do it on their own without micromanaging.

9. Great company

I have been working at Qimonda *

Pros

Benefits excellent and European comany.

Cons

Stability of company not sure by anyone.

Advice to Management

Better look after their employees and guide them.

10. Qimonda

I worked at Qimonda * full-time

Pros

International environment, nice place, delegation opportunities

Cons

Limited product types, low salaries

11. Working experience

Former Employee - Quality Manager
    Former Employee - Quality Manager

I worked at Qimonda * full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good learning place, many training opportunity given to us to upgrade our job knowledge

Cons

Spending too much time in learning set up

Advice to Management

well done

RSS Feed </> Embed