QinetiQ North America

Updated December 8, 2014
2.8

Dr. Andrew Rogers
1 Rating

Pros
  • They care about work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good starting compensation, free coffee, good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Totally disorganized and chaotic at the Senior Management levels of the Company (in 10 reviews)

• they let go of people in the bottom chain first and higher more upper management people (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Inter

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at QinetiQ North America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great place to work. I have learned a lot from them and took me on trips for work

Cons

tough environment because the people were not as friendly as I thought they would be and becuase o the age difference

nothing

Sad

Current Employee - Office in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Office in Waltham, MA

I have been working at QinetiQ North America

Pros

They offer all day free coffee (lots of flavors(, tea and hot chocolate

Cons

This was once a great company to wok for -- it used to have great employee moral, and working here was something you could be proud of. Sadly, it's all changed, and it feels like the company is going to told any minute, which has people doing all kinds of crazy and may unethical things just to ensure they can work for as many weeks as are left. Just a sad, sad, state of affairs.

People deserve to be treating with respect and honestly. We know there are some things you can't tell use right away, but why lie and tell us we're turning left when the secret plan is to turn right. It's not the 50s anymore!

Enjoyable adventure

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Franklin, MA

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved going in to work everyday, because of what this company has created for the safety of our military soldiers. It made be so proud.. The group of people they hired were 30++ My boss looked outside of the box with my skills and I learned so much. My coworkers ROCKED and we were a mini family.

Cons

What I did not like was the layoff. If I could have avoided it I would have.

Try to avoid more layoffs even if it qust

It is not a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have excellent benefits. You are allowed to lead your projects.

Cons

There is not much upward mobility.

I'd give the whole gig a D+

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ North America as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great entry level opportunity to learn basics of defense contractors internal structure, understanding of configuration management, documentation control, engineering changes, validation/verification, test planning etc.

Free coffee/tea
    Free ice cream biweekly during summer

Use this as a place to start your career or to bridge the gap between this and a better opportunity.

Cons

Compensation as a Contractor: Compensation wasn't terrible for the first year, but by the time I got to the fourth, and witnessed no growth, you come to realize that they really don't care about your future (maybe even your existence). I was banking on learning more in sacrifice for yearly raises but don't have high expectations other than to robot your way through a lot of VERY dry work. I went to my agency numerous times and it was always a 'bad time' to get a raise and HR was very reluctant to offer raises to full-time employees, never mind contractors. The company is clearly downsizing with layoffs galore, and people are quite frankly nervous whose next on the chopping block. Everyone got a standard 2% raise annual raise to match inflation internally, and no merits were given.

Work more closely to align company work load, with employee interest. People tend to excel when they work on something that interests them. That should truly be on the forefront, if you want to continuously maximize your efficiency of your resources. More collaboration, more open mindedness in who attends meetings, and more opportunity in general. Stop promoting people internally, who don't fit the bill. Upper management needs to be seen more often working hard. If management is lazy, employees will get lazy.

Awesomely passionate groups of individuals fighting amongst themselves for the way things used to be

Former Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People in each of the groups were extremely passionate about the work they were doing and genuinely cared about he products being created. Work hours were very flexible.

Cons

Leadership is indecisive and seem to have an "us vs them" mentality. Long-term planning seemed to be pushed aside to focus on the fire of the moment. Managers don't provide timely feedback on performance. Still very dependent on government contracts.

Consider building consensus among the management team, or at least enforcing the party line down the chain of command. Managers complain to employees about how they feel their groups are being treated unfairly. This causes animosity in the teams and decreases moral.

Overall very satisfied

I worked at QinetiQ North America (more than 5 years)

Pros

QNA has good people. Direct management was involved and interested in operations and needs to support the customer. Very supportive of having a healthy balance between personal and business life.

Cons

Weak business practices. Corporate organization was not very responsive to the needs of the team executing the contracts.

Enhance overall communications and ensure decisions are made by including all those that are impacted

Good company with many experienced colleagues.

I have been working at QinetiQ North America as a contractor

Pros

Most of employees here have been working for a long time. Good benefits and compensations. Friendly and nice coworkers. CMMI Level 3.

Cons

There are no company or team activities to connect people. The environment is kind of boring. Infrastructure is under satisfaction. Some management are not friendly.

Overall good company with good benefits limited career growth.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good company if you are on a decent contract with some years left on it.

Cons

You are limited by the contract you are on. Internal IT is terrible and not suited for the bulk of employees that work offsite on government sites. For example, you cannot access your timesheet or other tools needed to communicate with the mother ship. IT focus should be on supporting your employees that work outside the company network.

Company now bought by the SI Org and rebranded as Vencore. Find a way to connect to your employees outside the internal offices. There is no loyalty to the company because the communication with the company is not good. Employees know they better just keep their customer happy so they can easily transfer to the next company that wins the contract because you will be cut lose when your contract is lost and there is no place for you to go.

No future

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at QinetiQ North America (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to have good colleagues around: knowledgeable, passionate and with own opinion. Most have been replaced by those who either do not have personal opinion or prefer to keep it quite.

Cons

Management is ... I don't have adequate words to describe it here. Just look for results for last decade- they speak louder than any words.

Clear the room. Get out.

QinetiQ North America Photos

Shared cake in the kitchen
Technology