QinetiQ North America

www.qinetiq-na.com

QinetiQ North America Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated May 13, 2014

J. D. Crouch II

Pros
  • They care about work-life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Lots of free coffee and a working environment that is better that a lot of other big sized organizations(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • they let go of people in the bottom chain first and higher more upper management people(in 9 reviews)

• Totally disorganized and chaotic at the Senior Management levels of the Company(in 8 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes?

Veteran Software Developer/Architect (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Solid personal leave (up to 5 weeks for those with 10+ years experience) and benefits (still have 401(k) match.)
    - Mid-level management does seem to care about the welfare of those they supervise.
    - Like most larger companies, your experience depends greatly upon your customer/project. I've had some very good customers (Federal Civilian), so I've had some great work experiences. I've been here over 10 years.
    - Some decent training opportunities if you keep your eye out for them and it works out well with your customer. You can get reimbursed for non-degree programs and conferences/symposiums.
    - Given the tight constraints of the past year (Fed Gov shutdown, sequester, etc.), the company was pretty reasonable to employees.

Cons- Uncertainty of what will happen to benefits with the upcoming acquisition by the The SI Group of the Services Group. Could be a reduction of two weeks of vacation time for those with 10-15 years of experience. Other benefits TBD. That will drive those with marketable skills out the door. But it may not matter to SI's business model.
    - Like just about any Federal Government Contractor, raises are minimal once you are an employee. Job hopping for the right position is what advances your salary in this field.
    - There was a compensation freeze during the past year, but that is supposed to be lifted.
    - HR and other centralized management functions haven't been the most efficient. The annual review system isn't the greatest. Recruiting is weak.
    - For a company of it's size, it's development of new technical solutions is dis-jointed and not the most innovative (Services Group.)

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck. There will likely be a lot of consolidation and you'll be fighting for your jobs or dealing with unrealistic constraints.

They mean well and try hard

Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, I will miss working with them

ConsThey took away the coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with the new management!

An example of how not to manage

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt makes you appreciate that anywhere else is better.

ConsConstant reshuffling of management. Our 6th Program Manager started at the 32 month mark of a 3 year program. The workforce turnover rate stayed at 50% per year for the duration of the program. Management’s treatment of staff was deplorable – routinely yelling and screaming in an open office environment, and bragging about the salary differential between management and the workforce. Salary was well below market rate. Reimbursements for travel expenses were not based on eligibility, but rather seniority and profit margin. The management mentality since “benefits were available after normal business hours, that you should work extended hours because it’s fair” was the mantra – and a 50 to 60 hour work week was common. As a result of bad management the program failed and eventually closed. Management of course blamed the workforce resulting in a massive layoff.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, for a change, and look at turnover as a silent alarm that something is wrong.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDecent benefits, fairly good work life balance, good working conditions, for me personnally salary was consistent with market

ConsLack of vision for moving the company to the next tier, poor communication from senior management, very high turnover, low morale. Above all, very weak senior leadership in McLean. They have no clue how to run the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAndrews and Stolarik are poor leaders. Take a look at yourself and reassess your plan. Assert stronger leadership and make people accountable - including yourselves. Get in touch with what is going on at the transactional level. Your company will never pass some of the compliance audits.

Work to Live not Live to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Flexibility allowed in working hours and location whenever possible
    - PTO is generous
    - Benefits are competitive
    - Managers try very hard to find other positions for employees within the company when a contract ends (and they all end eventually)
    - Some individual team leads/managers are very understanding about the personal life of their workers
    - Location is close to home
    - Dress code is casual

Cons- Decent increase in salary does not seem to happen by staying with the company - those who leave for other companies and then return seem to get the biggest bump in salary - feels like loyalty is not appreciated
    - No standardized path for advancement, such as a list of accomplishments and/or goals to achieve to be qualified for the next level
    - No standard job title naming: multiple people doing the same job with completely different official job titles
    - Frequently changing organization - while I understand that some reorg had to happen with the acquisition of so many smaller companies, it feels like shifting sand under my feet - if offered $100 I couldn't tell you what section I work for now... I honestly don't remember anymore
    - Some management hires/promotions are questionable at best - there are so many weak and ineffective low-level managers - I've personally encountered/worked for/answered to 3 in the last 2 years alone
    - In support of the above, there is currently no training for those receiving a management/team lead position. Only rare individuals know instinctively what it means to manage successfully. Just because you were good at your job does NOT mean you can or should manage - management means more than clicking approve on a time card once a week

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the lowest level of managers who are generally the least experienced and most in need of instruction and guidance - they want to do well; they just don't know how yet. Provide company-sponsored training. If they're worth promoting, they're worth teaching.

Marginally Adequate

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat Benefit Packages. The people i worked with were smart and well trained.

ConsSalary was a bit short for a sysadmin compared to the DC area

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your Sysadmins at market value.

Qinetiq Good Place to Start, but Move On Quickly

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Local, zero commute jobs
    -Flexible hours
    -Laid back atmosphere
    -Good quality worker bees to support projects
    -Workers have a commitment to the client

Cons-Zero incentive to grow or innovate
    -Anti-commercial attitude
    -Fear of stretching the organization
    -Zero infrastructure to perform commercial IT work

Advice to Senior Management-Offer cash/bonus incentives to sellers
    -Establish industry partnerships to grow
    -Allow juniors to build new businesses within
    -Let go deadwood

Growing company, Sr. Level Manager have a lot of heart

Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, good place to start out in govt contracting. Easy to shine if you are a hard worker and willing to be a leader.

ConsPoor communication overall, still working out the kinks, still unclear on their direction. Sometimes you feel like you are just their to overbill the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally take the time to sit down with your employees one on one to provide a valuable performance review so that employees can better understand their strengths and weaknesses.

Not a good place for personal growth or career advancement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe benefits are competitive with respect to similar companies.

ConsQNA offered the lowest salary/rates compared to other contractors for the same position.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if employees of the company were treated fairly and with respect. This is one of the few places I've worked where management across the board was strongly lacking ability and not qualified for management. As another commenter mentioned, try to retain your contracts and employees.

Worked for QinetiQ North America? Contribute to the Community!