QinetiQ North America

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
3.3

Jeff Yorsz

Pros
  • They care about work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good starting compensation, free coffee, good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Totally disorganized and chaotic at the Senior Management levels of the Company (in 10 reviews)

• they let go of people in the bottom chain first and higher more upper management people (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Overall good company with good benefits limited career growth.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good company if you are on a decent contract with some years left on it.

Cons

You are limited by the contract you are on. Internal IT is terrible and not suited for the bulk of employees that work offsite on government sites. For example, you cannot access your timesheet or other tools needed to communicate with the mother ship. IT focus should be on supporting your employees that work outside the company network.

Company now bought by the SI Org and rebranded as Vencore. Find a way to connect to your employees outside the internal offices. There is no loyalty to the company because the communication with the company is not good. Employees know they better just keep their customer happy so they can easily transfer to the next company that wins the contract because you will be cut lose when your contract is lost and there is no place for you to go.

It is not a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have excellent benefits. You are allowed to lead your projects.

Cons

There is not much upward mobility.

Awesome company!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Washington, DC

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Qinetiq North America for 7 yrs. They have great benefits, opportunities to advance, supportive management, flexible schedules, and wonderful employees. I work there again if they had job openings in my area.

Cons

It seems like the government contracts with Qinetiq North America in my area (Washington DC) have been reduced since I left in 2010. They had more contracts, I guess they lost some contracts to competitors in the area.

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes?

Current Employee - Veteran Software Developer/Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Veteran Software Developer/Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Solid personal leave (up to 5 weeks for those with 10+ years experience) and benefits (still have 401(k) match.)
    - Mid-level management does seem to care about the welfare of those they supervise.
    - Like most larger companies, your experience depends greatly upon your customer/project. I've had some very good customers (Federal Civilian), so I've had some great work experiences. I've been here over 10 years.
    - Some decent training opportunities if you keep your eye out for them and it works out well with your customer. You can get reimbursed for non-degree programs and conferences/symposiums.
    - Given the tight constraints of the past year (Fed Gov shutdown, sequester, etc.), the company was pretty reasonable to employees.

Cons

- Uncertainty of what will happen to benefits with the upcoming acquisition by the The SI Group of the Services Group. Could be a reduction of two weeks of vacation time for those with 10-15 years of experience. Other benefits TBD. That will drive those with marketable skills out the door. But it may not matter to SI's business model.
    - Like just about any Federal Government Contractor, raises are minimal once you are an employee. Job hopping for the right position is what advances your salary in this field.
    - There was a compensation freeze during the past year, but that is supposed to be lifted.
    - HR and other centralized management functions haven't been the most efficient. The annual review system isn't the greatest. Recruiting is weak.
    - For a company of it's size, it's development of new technical solutions is dis-jointed and not the most innovative (Services Group.)

Good luck. There will likely be a lot of consolidation and you'll be fighting for your jobs or dealing with unrealistic constraints.

They mean well and try hard

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time

Pros

Great people, I will miss working with them

Cons

They took away the coffee.

Good luck with the new management!

An example of how not to manage

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It makes you appreciate that anywhere else is better.

Cons

Constant reshuffling of management. Our 6th Program Manager started at the 32 month mark of a 3 year program. The workforce turnover rate stayed at 50% per year for the duration of the program. Management’s treatment of staff was deplorable – routinely yelling and screaming in an open office environment, and bragging about the salary differential between management and the workforce. Salary was well below market rate. Reimbursements for travel expenses were not based on eligibility, but rather seniority and profit margin. The management mentality since “benefits were available after normal business hours, that you should work extended hours because it’s fair” was the mantra – and a 50 to 60 hour work week was common. As a result of bad management the program failed and eventually closed. Management of course blamed the workforce resulting in a massive layoff.

Listen to employees, for a change, and look at turnover as a silent alarm that something is wrong.

Not a great place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, fairly good work life balance, good working conditions, for me personnally salary was consistent with market

Cons

Lack of vision for moving the company to the next tier, poor communication from senior management, very high turnover, low morale. Above all, very weak senior leadership in McLean. They have no clue how to run the company.

Andrews and Stolarik are poor leaders. Take a look at yourself and reassess your plan. Assert stronger leadership and make people accountable - including yourselves. Get in touch with what is going on at the transactional level. Your company will never pass some of the compliance audits.

Work to Live not Live to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at QinetiQ North America

Pros

- Flexibility allowed in working hours and location whenever possible
    - PTO is generous
    - Benefits are competitive
    - Managers try very hard to find other positions for employees within the company when a contract ends (and they all end eventually)
    - Some individual team leads/managers are very understanding about the personal life of their workers
    - Location is close to home
    - Dress code is casual

Cons

- Decent increase in salary does not seem to happen by staying with the company - those who leave for other companies and then return seem to get the biggest bump in salary - feels like loyalty is not appreciated
    - No standardized path for advancement, such as a list of accomplishments and/or goals to achieve to be qualified for the next level
    - No standard job title naming: multiple people doing the same job with completely different official job titles
    - Frequently changing organization - while I understand that some reorg had to happen with the acquisition of so many smaller companies, it feels like shifting sand under my feet - if offered $100 I couldn't tell you what section I work for now... I honestly don't remember anymore
    - Some management hires/promotions are questionable at best - there are so many weak and ineffective low-level managers - I've personally encountered/worked for/answered to 3 in the last 2 years alone
    - In support of the above, there is currently no training for those receiving a management/team lead position. Only rare individuals know instinctively what it means to manage successfully. Just because you were good at your job does NOT mean you can or should manage - management means more than clicking approve on a time card once a week

Support the lowest level of managers who are generally the least experienced and most in need of instruction and guidance - they want to do well; they just don't know how yet. Provide company-sponsored training. If they're worth promoting, they're worth teaching.

Marginally Adequate

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at QinetiQ North America

Pros

Great Benefit Packages. The people i worked with were smart and well trained.

Cons

Salary was a bit short for a sysadmin compared to the DC area

Pay your Sysadmins at market value.

Qinetiq Good Place to Start, but Move On Quickly

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at QinetiQ North America

Pros

-Local, zero commute jobs
    -Flexible hours
    -Laid back atmosphere
    -Good quality worker bees to support projects
    -Workers have a commitment to the client

Cons

-Zero incentive to grow or innovate
    -Anti-commercial attitude
    -Fear of stretching the organization
    -Zero infrastructure to perform commercial IT work

-Offer cash/bonus incentives to sellers
    -Establish industry partnerships to grow
    -Allow juniors to build new businesses within
    -Let go deadwood

QinetiQ North America Photos

Shared cake in the kitchen
Technology