QinetiQ

QinetiQ Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

QinetiQ CEO and Director Leo Quinn

Leo Quinn

Pros
  • The company has a great work life balance(in 6 reviews)

• flexi time nad facilities which are a hang over from the civil service dats(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management don't practice what they preach(in 6 reviews)

• Little or no career progression for professionals(in 4 reviews)

Intelligent hard working people with a passion for their domain area

(Current Employee)

ProsManagement is trying their best to communicate business position, impact of government changes, new markets of interest and emerging opportunities. Organization is doing a great job of diversifying into commercial business and offering new opportunities for their current employees. Management team promotes from within and has been successful providing employees with new opportunities as current contracts come to completion.

ConsWhen business tightens and you need to do more with less it is important that your peers share the same dedication to the business and have the same work ethic. The organization does a good job of rewarding performance but is not quick to act on non-performers. QinetiQ could do a better job of identifying bottom performers and dealing with them to ensure top performer moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake tough decisions quickly... Less diplomacy more action

Not a bad place to work if you plan to move on in a year or two.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsThey offer good pay, the co-workers are friendly and management can be great. There are usually contracts available in many different areas for different government agencies.

ConsThey don't care about finding you follow on work after your contract ends. They treat you more as a resource to get contract dollars instead of as a human being. It doesn't really matter how well you do on a particular contract, there is no real opportunity for advancement. Contractors are left to fend for them self's if there is no follow up funding. The company tends to absorb smaller companies and add a great amount of bureaucracy to their operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and overcome high turn over rates and give opportunities for worker advancement.

Interesting contract work with the Dept of Homeland Security

Information Technologist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsInteresting Gov't contract working with Department of Homeland Security. Good balence of work and homelife. Adapting to constant change of Gov't red tape a must.

ConsGov't employees paid equivalent of contractors but don't have a clue are not held accountable and cannot be fired. Gov't employees are poorly trained and unmotivated. Might not get re-hired when contract rools over.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better understanding of what average employee does on a daily basis. Better retirement plan with company vestment in 401K occuring over a shorter time period.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunities, challenging culture

Team Lead (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

Prosgreat technical opportunities as company has many in depth departments and facilities

Conschallenging company culture, based on fear rather than cooperation

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove office culture

Good people at the coal face let down by senior management mutual back slapping merry go round.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsCool projects, interesting people, planes!

ConsSenior management weak on leadership. Poorly performing senior individuals recirculated around the top positions rather than sacked.

Advice to Senior ManagementSack people who don't perform rather than shifting them into made up jobs.

5 years from apprentice to manager

Trials Safety Manager (Current Employee) Stranraer, Scotland (UK)

ProsExcellent training and promotion if you get recognised for hard work and apply yourself. Work life is excellent, although my wife thinks I'm travelling too much, I'm the exception not the rule. Company has gone through some big changes which have given it lots more energy and enthusiasm and although many are skeptics I believe it's getting better and better. I've been through my apprentiship, they have trained me through my various roles and are currently funding my masters degree so training prospects are great.

ConsPromotions can be tough to get. Really have to work hard and get noticed and get rejected a few times. You can't always tell everyone how great your job is because some of the work may be classified!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going, Leo has made a real difference and the people on the ground are beginning to catch up and realise this isn't a flash in the pan, we have real potential to sustain growth and become exceptional.

Going from strength to strength

Communications Administrator (Former Employee) Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland (UK)

ProsQinetiQ gave unique opportunities to me in order that I could enhance my development within the company. They offered help to develop ideas, offered suggestions, and was a company full of vibrant visionaries. I began to thrive and enjoyed the challenges set before me. In all the companies I have worked for, QinetiQ stood out because they believed in my potential. They listened, and made me feel like a valuable member of the team.

ConsSadly, I had to leave due to personal circumstances, otherwise I would have stayed at the company. I'd love to work there still, and was incredibly happy there. Since I left, I heard they had to make cutbacks, and employees have lost a great asset in the restaurant. Now, they have to walk to the nearest cafe to get lunch, and I'm sure this effects productivity as they are in a hurry to get there, eat and return. The cafe served fantastic food, but it was also a chance to meet socially. It was the heart of the base. Now that's gone, it's a different place entirely.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining was always good - and if you wanted to advance further in a field, QinetiQ usually provided training. I would say, there needs to be a focus on tendering. Also, in approaching Middle Eastern countries for security, it's best to approach through a back door method, ie, through hotel security (much smaller projects) then once there is trust, they will be eager to listen to higher budget projects involving defence. Start small, gain trust, build relations. I was just in admin, but I know these these procedures work. If someone invests in small projects, they are more likely to invest in larger but if you ask too much to begin with, they will back away.

More advice - I need a job. Please give me one!

Great people and some really interesting stuff to work on

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsSome of the most interesting projects going. There is a really good work / life balance with flexible working. There are also some truly great people who work here.

ConsTraditionally more difficult to progress career as far / quickly on the 'technical' route rather than moving into Project / middle management. Things changing on this front but some junior members of staff still struggle to progress. Too much ineffective middle management not adding value.

Come back in five years when they've got their act together

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsThis is an ideal organisation for anyone who doesn't actually want to achieve anything as there is endless scope for projects to be delayed and undermined by a culture and environment designed to be as obstructive as possible.

ConsAs CEO Leo Quinn openly admits - QinetiQ tried to be "something that it wasn't." The problem is it still hasn't figured out what it should be and is clearly in a major state of flux. The senior management claim they are making a difference following many misguided and failed strategies of previous management but issues are endemic and will take another major overhaul of leadership to get this organisation on the right track.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork a lot harder to become the plain speaking, agile and empowering organisation you claim you want to be and stop trying to pull the corporate wool over the eyes of employees and investors.

Fascinating work, and world class people

Research Scientist (Former Employee) Great Malvern, England (UK)

ProsThe variety and challenge of work was impressive, and on some projects it felt like you were doing something never tried before in the world. Some of the best people I've worked with, as well. Great work/life balance too.

ConsSo many good people, means it's also hard to climb up the ladder. Salaries not so good compared to peer companies.

Worked for QinetiQ? Contribute to the Community!