QuEST Global

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.6

Ajit Prabhu

Pros
  • Flexible work hours, Medical, dental and vision plans decently priced for value (in 7 reviews)

• technical knowledge is plenty and opportunities to learn are more (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You're handed work to do but upper management doesn't understand the work scope (in 7 reviews)

• Team leads have degrees in political science and other non-engineering degrees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Low Pay but Low Stress

I worked at QuEST Global

Pros

Low stress environment. Good transition job for young people.

Cons

Low pay and the facilities are far from state of the art.

Consider kicking up compensation slightly and the pool of talent will grow immensely.

Could be a terrific place to work if....

I have been working at QuEST Global full-time

Pros

Work life balance, terrific people with incredible potential, potential to really grow outside of Engineering services.

Cons

Metrics driven (but in this business it has to be), no training infrastructure, very disjointed on boarding process, raises that do not reflect changes in employee responsibility.

This is outsourcing, so reliance on metrics, particularly billable hours, is a reality that has to be accepted... But does it have to come at the cost of disengaging employees? While profitability determines how much we can reinvest into the employee base and emerging services, I don't really feel that this is why our targets are so high... Growth requires investment in employees and infrastructure, otherwise you get fantastic metrics but a completely disengaged workforce resulting in zero growth. QuEST needs to decide which is more important, good metrics in the short term or long term sustainable growth....

You get out of Quest what you put in.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Windsor Locks, CT
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at QuEST Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule.
    Opportunities to work with various clients in different fields.

Cons

Limited Vacation time.
    Many co-workers can be immature.
    On-boarding (training), is almost non existent.
    Too much emphasis on metrics, which are not fully communicated as to what exactly they measure.
    Definitely an old (young) boys club mentality.

I believe there should be more of an effort to ensure new employees are aware of quest policies. Also, all qualifying employees should be made of opportunities both within quest and beyond.

Great for experience, very good for entry level engineers

Current Employee - Structural Analysis Engineer/Controls Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at QuEST Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First of all, after reading a lot of these reviews I'd like to clear up something. QuEST Global has two main engineering functions. One is PECOE, and one is CAE. PECOE is a center for project engineers and they get paid a lot less, they are paid hourly, have fewer benefits, and you'll will find many people with very little qualifications. Many of the negative comments written here are from people who worked in PECOE which is totally different from CAE. CAE is the engineering section of QuEST where you will find salaried employees with decent benefits and engineering degrees.

Following that clarification, I would like to talk about my experience at QuEST. I worked in there main headquarters in East Hartford as an intern (At the time, I was still a college student). As an intern I was paid a decent wage and got the chance to do some really interesting work. I learned ANSYS as an intern! Being the only intern in the building, I also had the chance for exposure and to be well known in the company. They were very flexible with scheduling hours around my school schedule.

After about a year of interning, I graduated from school with a BSME and was offered a full time position immediately. I was offered a competitive salary and PTO matched Pratt & Whitney. The environment was friendly, and the majority of people were young and professional. I was rarely intimidated by an individual. There are also many opportunities to move around and be promoted (fairly quickly) because of how fast the company was growing. Overall, the company had a great culture and there was an excellent work-life balance. This was an excellent place to work straight out of college.

Cons

I had very few cons with this company, but there are definitely somethings I would like to point out.

- Workload fluctuations were HORRIBLE (some teams more than others). One week you would be extremely busy, the next week you would be on Craigslist 24/7.

- I felt as if sometimes you would be pressured by management. Someone constantly checking the hours you put in and your timesheets, and making sure if you've been billable or not. I felt as if I wasn't being trusted. You would be asked the same questions about your project progress multiple times a day, which got annoying.

- Very little budget for ANYTHING that they can't bill to their customer. Training sessions, internal meetings, team building exercises (and many more things that I can't think of) are all examples of events that the company wouldn't pay for! It was all on your own. Who would want to take part in any thing that they are not being paid for.

- Absolutely mediocre tuition reimbursement program. You get *upto* $2000 per semester for a course approved by your team lead and manager. You must do very good in the class to get the reimbursement and it is a long, stupid, process to receive the reimbursement. Did I mention its a raffle? Yes, only 5 people per semester receive this reimbursement. QuEST needs to realize that most of their employees have less than 5 years of experience and that it would be great to receive *decent* tuition reimbursement for their own personal growth.

Invest more in your employees. You have done a great job with the culture, but allow the employees to enjoy their time at work. Increase the unbillable budget to allow for some team building exercises and/or training. The day gets boring very fast when all you do is sit behind a desk for 8 hours.

Also, do something about your tuition reimbursement program. It is probably one of the worst programs I've heard of from an engineering firm of this size.

Overall, upper management is intelligent and have done a great job being a competitve outsourcer.

Acceptable

Current Employee - Quality Systems Auditor in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Systems Auditor in Lansing, MI

I have been working at QuEST Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are pleasant to work with.

Cons

Benefits could be much better.

A great learning experience

Former Employee - Heat Transfer Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Heat Transfer Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at QuEST Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wide variety of projects to work on and learn from. Flex time has been reduced in recent years, but overall a pretty laid back environment from what I've experienced

Cons

There was A LOT of dead time. Their project planning wasn't exactly the best either: there are a lot of transfers between offices due to changes in demand for the contract work. This leads to a lot of downtime and office transfers (as in: move to another city, or find a new job).

Keep engineers applied, make sure we are learning new things at all times.

Made a BIG mistake

Current Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at QuEST Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Like other posts, you get to use commercial software and get to interact at times with engineers from real engineering companies. Other than that it's a nightmare.

Cons

A lot of what has been said on here is true about the Cincinnati center, so I will try not to reiterate much what others have posted.

When I came in fresh out of college I didn't know what CFD meant or knew anything about CFD or heat transfer softwares. I was trained by other CFD engineers. Needless to say the CFD team leader and project leader was no help. I really didn't know what their purpose was if they weren't going to participate in helping me learn.
    I quickly learned what their purpose was. It was to intimidate, belittle, terrorize, and really bully me. During tech reviews with the customer the GE CFD team lead would mute the phone and then chew me out about some mundane item. There were times I wanted to punch him out. I complained to other senior people there, but seems nothing was done. It was as if they didn't want to "stir the pot". So the good of the one outweighs the good of the many at Quest Cincinnati. To me this is emotional abuse. But perhaps me getting my message out will help deter people with an interest in CFD to keep their distance from Quest Cincinnati.

I also had two friends that came in at the same time and did the same work and was praised equally. But one was given a promotion while the other wasn't. It took a year for that other engineer to get a promotion. The managers here clearly treat certain engineers better than others.

Training does not exist unless you are new. Just like other posts I have read they try to make you billable immediately because it's obvious hardly any money is invested into training.

The GE CFD team lead will constantly underbid projects. As always in projects there are delays, errors, etc. which this person failed and continues to take into account. Because of this CFD engineers are told to work beyond 40 hours a week but we are told we cannot bill. So, essentially we are working for free beyond the 40 hours which should be a labor violation.

The statement made by the CEO is true from a previous post here is true cause I also heard it. Sad, I had only been working there a couple of months. Once I heard that and talked with others I knew I had to learn as much as possible and then flee to a superior company.

Also, when I started the center manager was leaving to go to GE and it was brought to my attention that this person had put company sensitive information on the company's shared drive. This included people's resumes, offer letters, salaries of employees. I was like wow, how could Quest employee someone so careless? I guess it was a good thing he was leaving. At this same time I was told a lot of people were leaving the company. I can only assume these people saw this information and were disgusted on how certain people were getting paid more than they deserve. But sad that a great company like GE would hire someone so careless. I pity those who may work for him.

I don't know what else to say but I wish I was given more information about how this company treats its engineers. Benefits were ok, not great. They could have been worse. 401K is like one other person said on here.... embarrassing. Quest gives you a 1% match. That is a joke. Perhaps because they are an Indian company they treat us like Indian citizens. I can see what these other people have been saying.

Grow up and mature. From what I have gathered from most is that this is the only company you have worked for. You have been "brainwashed" by senior management that this company is far superior to companies like GE. Get real people, you can only hope to be that great. Employees are dissatisfied and are grumbling. They want and demand respect. Getting paid 10-20% below median isn't going to keep us around.

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at QuEST Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Start up Company veru very challenging

Cons

No infra structure in CAE. Heavily dependent on customer to fund everything. Bad company to work for.

Very bad decision makers

They paid me, I gained experience.

Former Employee - Mechanical Designer
    Former Employee - Mechanical Designer

I worked at QuEST Global as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very few, If any.
    I got paid mostly on time.
    What can I say. There aren't very many advantages to working for Quest. I had no choice.

Cons

Where do I start:
    There was very little to no communication between me, the client, and my superiors.
    My "boss" changed multiple times; 1st boss wasn't even in my country, 2nd boss was but could care less about interaction.
    Benefits were offered but they weren't even worth the drop in salary.
    Almost zero communication after 1 year contract ended; zero loyalty to hard workers.
    Required to write your own exit interview.
    Never actually met face to face with anyone from the company.
    Payroll services were over seas so a major time difference was involved.
    I could keep going on and on about why you should think twice about this company.
    I would say only work for them if you're going to be homeless tomorrow.

People are not commodities; they are assets. Good and hard workers are worth their weight in gold.

Great starter job or retirement job, not a career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at QuEST Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well for what is essentially high level admin work
    Flexible work hours
    Opportunity to make strong contact with customers to further career

Cons

Runs like a temp-agency
    Absolutely no professional or personal growth opportunities
    Raises and Promotions are negliable
    Management is immature and often less knowledgeable of the work than those they manage
    HR and Management pick and choose which policies they want to follow but will hide behind another policy if they get caught lying, cheeating or making a mistake
    Metrics are geared to make HR and Management lives easier, and have NOTHING to do with the actual work.

Listen to your employees! You put in great efforts to attract the best, so treat them that way.