Quad/Graphics Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
2.7

Quad/Graphics President and CEO J. Joel Quadracci
J. Joel Quadracci

Pros
  • The people are great - everyone is working hard to what they believe is the right direction (in 8 reviews)

• The people are great and there is a strive to provide work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You work long 12 hour shifts with two 20 minute breaks, 3 on, 3 off, 4 on, 4 off with rotating days to nights every 4 months (in 5 reviews)

• You are supposed to get two 15 minute breaks but you'll be lucky to get one (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for manufacturing employees

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time

Pros

If you work in manufacturing in Wisconsin there is no better employer. The company is very production friendly. If you make a mistake on the floor they will not hang you out to dry.

Cons

Lots of change going on there. Some long term employees may feel the company has changed too much.

continue to focus on the manufacturing

Pretty Good.

Current Employee - PSR  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - PSR in Madison, WI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work with great people. The company has great benefits. There are many places you can transfer to around the country. they are a very stable company.

Cons

Long hours and mandatory overtime. Not a lot of room for career advancement. Management can be know it alls at time. The pay isn't that great.

respect your employees time and families more. Better pay rises. more advancement opportunities.

Things are changing

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time

Pros

Company is acquiring smaller printers for growth. Plenty of plants to transfer to if you are looking to relocate around the country. Steady work and overtime. Work 3 / 4 days a week, for 12 hours a day.

Cons

A lot of mandatory overtime, no sit down breaks for pressroom. High turnover and a lot of temps. Senior employees are leaving frequently.

Upper management needs to get a grip on turnover and make senior employees feel valuable. Training of employees is a must. Quality and run speeds are dropping due to this. Grow printers not operators.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, lots of room for growth if you show initiative

I have been working at Quad/Graphics

Pros

Big company with small feel

Cons

A lot of responsibility and long hours with not much reward at raise time

Been there 12 years now with an 8 year gap in between years

Current Employee - Distribution Tech III  in  Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Distribution Tech III in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They do provide a wide variety of work. The people are generally great to work with. The shifts are regular and can be swapped and it is pretty easy to get some days off. I left for an 8 year period and when I came back they reinstated all of my old accounts and status. So I did not lose seniority nor vesting. I had transferred my 401 previously, so I had to start over, but that was ok. I am still matched 100% as I am fully vested still.

Cons

Worked there almost 10 years and left to finish degree. Offered a work schedule that I thought would work while I was going to school. The management laughed and said they couldn't modify schedules like that. Now I am back working Part time in the same department where I can pick my schedule and hours can vary with 6, 8, or 12 hour shifts, but there is no guarantee to work. At the last review I was hit on topics because I was not there for training and as a part time I didn't know more progressive duties. These were listed as low in the ratings, even thought there was a box for N/A- NOT APPLICABLE. That should have been checked. When I was there previously full time I had done those jobs so it wouldn't be difficult to slide back into the job.
    Previously, I was always told I was behind in my pay scale and was given extra... not sure how much was extra when it was so little anyway. When I started there were 2 review periods, and potential for wage increase each time. It was down to 1 and the full amount possible was about half of the previous 1 review/wage increase from years prior.
    The tradition has been that at 10 years you join the founder's circle and get a ring and cake for everyone... as soon as I came back they had me fill out all my information about my 10 year career and I am still waiting for the celebration and presentation 2 years later.
    I have put in for MANY fulltime positions and have only interviewed twice. I have applied for positions I am in and been told they were pursuing more qualified candidates. I do want to have a career there, but they don't seem to want to let me have a career there. So I stay as a part time with little time to work there.

Most of them have been there a long time and remember how it used to be. It was fun, it was cooperative, and it was a great place to work. Now things like micromanagement have taken too much hold. Fun rousing of employees is threatened with firing, and everything is about staying productive. Some times there has to be an outlet and especially while in one location for half a day at a time. There used to be extended breaks, 20 minutes 2 times a day, plus there were stretching breaks and water used to out by the machines in coolers during the hot months. They even had flavoring to go in it as well. So much has gotten away from that now. Those were the things that made the company fun to work at. You saw the compassion and the passion for/from employees who worked there.

This Company Must Be Ran by Gingers, Because It Has No Soul.

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are okay, as long as you stay on their good side. Okay benefits.

Cons

Not a good place to work if you're an introvert. You'll be treated like an outcast if you like to work independently. Environment can be gossipy, and management doesn't believe in confidentiality (unless they like you, then they'll protect you). Lots of lip service from management. When I started here, I thought it was great that management maintained an 'open door' policy and that employees were encouraged to be honest about ideas, needs and wants. I've since figured out that while management encourages honesty, they really don't care what an employee has to say unless it benefits management in some way. Also, management is always right, no matter what.

Realize that you don't know everything, and not everything is about the fiscal bottom line.

High Risk facility regarding Behavioral Safety and Environmental Safety compliance. Failure on managements.

Former Employee - Health and Safety Coordinator  in  Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Health and Safety Coordinator in Riverside, CA

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for less than a year

Pros

I did learn new types of corporate safety computer processes.

Cons

Failure on managements part to role model safety is illustrated with amount of accidents for the Riverside facility.

Must have a higher level of safety bye-in to lower amount of safety violations on production floor.

Hostile Takeover

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty flexible working hours. No management on site.

Cons

Heavy handed management. Quad acquired Vertis Communications and had no respect for the Vertis Development workforce.

Management needs to respect their employees, they are people with feelings.

Challenging and frustrating.

I have been working at Quad/Graphics

Pros

Plenty of over time. That helps.

Cons

Lacks leadership. Too many mangers choosing to look the other way.

We need someone who will call the shots. Too many managers who look the other way and won't take ownership.

Good paying job

Current Employee - Bindery  in  Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Bindery in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Quad/Graphics part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you need a job working 40 plus hours then this is the job you need

Cons

I really didn't have any cons for this place except I was mad when they closed down

Worked for Quad/Graphics? Contribute to the Community!