Quad/Graphics Reviews

Reset
2.7
Quad/Graphics President and CEO J. Joel Quadracci
J. Joel Quadracci

Pros
  • The people are great - everyone is working hard to what they believe is the right direction (in 10 reviews)

• Work-life balance has improved recently (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Although I was told that I would get used to the 12 hour shifts, I never did (in 11 reviews)

• None really just some long hours sometimes which is to be expected in our field (in 8 reviews)

1. finishing tech

Former Employee - Finishing Technician in Evans, GA
    Former Employee - Finishing Technician in Evans, GA

I worked at Quad/Graphics

Pros

It is a great learning experience

Cons

There are no down time for this company

Hard, labor intensive without labor pay.

Current Employee - Multi Mailer Operator in Sussex, WI
    Current Employee - Multi Mailer Operator in Sussex, WI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, vacation and trade days, all of the overtime that you can handle

Cons

Mediocre pay. Mandatory overtime, constantly changing shift schedule. Unrealistic expectations for a workforce dependent on temp workers. Terrible leadership.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees with the focus on creating a great product not on quantity.

3. Going downhill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schroon Lake, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schroon Lake, NY

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can move up fast if you have good work ethic, gym/cuisine/health center on site, can always take classes for education.

Cons

Hours, unappreciated at times, everyone is tired and miserable from the high demands, taken advantage of- leading to long term skilled employees leaving for better opportunities.

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees more. So many good people will leave for jobs that are more enjoyable and pay more right from the start.

5. Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Roll Tender in Atglen, PA
    Current Employee - Roll Tender in Atglen, PA

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It pays the bills

Cons

we used to be Quebecor world but now we've been bought by quad graphics. we used to make so much money you could do 3 doubles a week and make so much money. now its not like that anymore. a lot of good people have walked out of this place a lot of things are broken but they expect us to make miracles with very old equipment. The people you work with are awesome, management makes everything harder than it needs to be

Advice to Management

I got nothing to say they pretty much do what they want no matter what you tell them that is wrong

6. Good employer

Current Employee - Area Business Manager
    Current Employee - Area Business Manager

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great internal support system

Cons

business runs 24/7/365 so some holiday work

7. ink jet operator

Current Employee - Ink Jet Operator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Ink Jet Operator in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Quad/Graphics (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay. Great fast pace for those who like to stay busy

Cons

Long hot hours. No sitting, short 20 min breaks and you only get 2 of them and you can't go outside

Advice to Management

Do something about the smoking policy. And eliminate the no going outside policy. I wish the company offers some type of flex scheduling.

8. OKC - If you are desperate for a job and have no life outside of work, this is the place for you

Current Employee - Ink Jet Operator in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Ink Jet Operator in Norman, OK

I have been working at Quad/Graphics (More than 3 years)

Pros

**Stable work with predictable hours and work schedule. If you are trying to do nothing but work and save money and get your life together, this place will help you do it.
    **FT workers get health benefits (BCBS health, plus dental and vision)
    **401k with (small) company match (30% match on contributions of up to 6% of your income)
    **Overtime available (if you want to work it)
    **A gym and medical clinic inside the plant are available to all employees, both PT and FT

Cons

Where to start...
    **FT workers switch days to nights every 4 months
    **LONG HOURS. If you are a production employee you will work 12 hour shifts. This wouldn't be so bad if you only had to work the 3-on-4-off or 4-on-3-off schedule they claim, but with the mandatory OT... Get ready to become an energy-drink/coke/meth addict.
    **During your 12-hour shift, you will only get two 20-min breaks. They get away with this labor violation by claiming that you are allowed to eat out on the floor and the machines, which you are. But whether or not you are actually ABLE is completely dependent on which job your machine happens to be running.
    **The turnover rate is INSANE (like over 60%) so, if you stick around for any significant period of time, you will be asked to train people (without any extra compensation), the majority of which will quit within months.
    **Because the turnover rate is so high, you will be assigned mandatory overtime. So kiss your personal life good-bye. After five 12-hour days in a row, your first day off you will usually do nothing but sleep, so you will essentially have 1 day off where you can actually enjoy yourself.
    **The department I work in (Finishing) is mostly a "Good Ol' Boys club". For the most part, if the right supervisor/manager doesn't like you (for whatever reason) you will never grow beyond the Operator level, no matter how good you are at your job. Favortism is RAMPANT. People get promoted into leadership positions who have practically ZERO LEADERSHIP SKILLS. They place little to no value on "soft skills" such as organizational abilities, communication skills, collaborative abilities, coaching/mentoring ability, etc.
    **Raises are a joke. I know people who have 20+ years experience and haven't missed a day of work in 5 years, who didn't get ANY raise at all this year because they were told they had to give the money to the younger/newer operators. I get they are trying to raise the baseline on entry-level operator pay in order to reduce turnover, but these vets are your strongest links. The fact that corporate doesn't allot enough money to take care of both the new and experienced is crap.
    **They practice a Promotion-Without-Pay policy, whereby they offer you a promotion, then ask you to work in that new position, with all the additional responsibilities that come with it, for MONTHS before they give you the raise that goes with that job. I know several people who got promoted to the Technical Area Lead level and worked for aprx 6 MONTHS before they got their raise. One waited nearly 9 months.
    **They seem to promote a division, almost on the class-warfare level, between Managers/Admin employees and Production employees. Managers get decent salaries, regular daytime schedules, better breaks, etc, but will be the first to tell their under-paid, blue-collar employees to "suck it up and sacrifice for the company."
    **They recruit and hire people who are in more "desperate" life positions, i.e. people on probation/parole, people who are in debt, felons, etc. They recruit people from these groups (which included myself when I first started) because they know that these people are more likely to accept lower wages, poor working conditions, and ill-treatment at work because they need to keep the job.
    **They publish no pay scales. Pay rates are largely left up to management's discretion. This results in two people with the same job title and same time-in-service being paid very different wages, sometimes up to $1.50/hr difference. A person's livelihood can be totally dependent upon the luck of which shift they get assigned to.
    **They ABSOLUTELY value Production over People. Google the circumstances surrounding Robert Farley's on-the-job death and the OKC plant, and you'll see what I mean.

This list could go on...

Advice to Management

It seems useless to even say anything because after all their corporate "Employee Round Tables" and "Independent Employee Surveys" not one single thing to improve work conditions on a Production Employee level has changed (not at the OKC plant, anyway).

The Quadracci's are concerned with giving themselves and their VP's/EVP's massive seven-figure bonuses & stock options, and protecting their inheritance. Not making life better for the workforce that actually creates the value that perpetuates their inheritance.

Clamp Truck Operator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with good people and I'm glad I stuck around long enough to find that out. Owning their own medical facility is a huge plus, they also have many free programs for mental and physical health such as counseling services and a fitness center. They have a nice day care and dining facility. The 401K, life insurance, etc. is of good quality also. There are constant bi-monthly on-line training modules and a good interactive website that allows for access to an abundance of learning opportunities.

Cons

The onboarding is their biggest deficit. having such a large company creates a climate that lacks personal elements.Apparently quad graphics was interested in becoming the largest printing company in the world. Through an abundance of acquisitions they managed to bring themselves to the number two position. Along the way there was a huge amount of turnover. It is my personal opinion that the expected turnover was anticipated to be from the newly acquired companies. However, an abundance of pre-existing employees flew the coop with hurt feelings. Many of those that remain seem to only converse with each other by using forms of negativity in regard to their common shared interest (their employer). Being a fairly new employee myself I have received an earful of cons, with an extremely minimal level of pros. I have no idea as to the validity of most of them, but my personal experience allows me the ability to honestly say that the on-boarding process is nearly inexistent. Quad graphics is a good place to work, but really needs to step it up in the areas of on-boarding, and in getting the word out there that they are interested in my career. Most companies are advanced enough to know the value of succession planning, and make efforts to let employees know.

Advice to Management

It is my understanding that there are efforts presently being made to repair the organization / employee relationships. Information would go a long way. Many employees recently had their reviews and were not given thorough explanations as to why their highly anticipated rewards were either minimal or nonexistent. It would go a long way to explain how particular positions can only be funded to certain degrees. Employees lack knowledge and understanding of disbursement of overall overhead costs. Also, on-boarding is extremely important if the goal is employee retention through satisfaction. Employee satisfaction is increased when a sincere interest in the employees’ career path is expressed. Currently I'm in a Master’s program in Human Resources, and hold a degree in adult education and psychology. I am also simultaneously halfway through a Master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling. Knowing that an employee has the ability/skills to counsel, educate, and train other employees would normally put an employer in the mindset of seeing value that can be used to support the organizational goals to the extent that they would take action to further develop these types of assets. My suggestion would be to use the interactive existing website to survey for employees skills, talents and interests. The obtained information will be beneficial, I'm sure you will find a huge return on investment when you're recruiting efforts are minimal due to the fact that with a minor amount of training, you already have qualified internal candidates to fill positions that you would otherwise have to spend a great deal of funds sourcing to acquire.

10. It's Not What Harry started.

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of Hours if You like time away from your family.

Cons

It's hard to make time for family when You have to work so many hours just to keep up with daily expenses. Plenty of empty promises for advancement. Management believes they are the only people who have experience in the printing industry.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people producing the goods, We have ideas that are worth trying.

11. "The company with a soul"......hmmm .

Former Employee - Second Pressman in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Second Pressman in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, can move up quickly if you know the right people

Cons

Worked here for about 8 yrs. Company changed a lot in the time I was there. Bought out 3 different times. Each time getting progressively worse than the last. Hands down the most mismanaged and micromanaged place I've ever seen. Lot of talented people but they were not utilized. Equitment falling apart, hours were ridiculous, constant overtime, never a plan of action for anything just spur of the moment decisions, pay was good at the beginning but that didn't last long, constantly hiring inexperienced people making everyone's job harder, promotions based on buddy system, basically legalized slavery.

Advice to Management

20 words is not enough.

RSS Feed </> Embed