Quad/Graphics

Updated January 22, 2015
2.7

Quad/Graphics President and CEO J. Joel Quadracci
J. Joel Quadracci

Pros
  • The people are great - everyone is working hard to what they believe is the right direction (in 10 reviews)

• The people are great and there is a strive to provide work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Although I was told that I would get used to the 12 hour shifts, I never did (in 11 reviews)

• A lot of responsibility and long hours with not much reward at raise time (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Slightly better than avg

I have been working at Quad/Graphics (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is still a pretty good company to work for with solid ideals, a sound cash to debt ratio, an aggressive business strategy and decent health insurance.

Cons

For the senior staff, it is a great company to work for. For everyone else, it's getting harder and harder. Executives still think it is the same company it has always been because the $ is still rolling in and dreams are still coming true. Everyone else is working longer hours for avg. or worse pay with additional responsibility and expectations. They have lost sight of the founders vision...you can't just tell people what the company stands for, you have to embody it, live it and show the commitment from the top down and that includes sharing the wealth.

An open door policy means that at any given moment almost every executive door should be open.
    Re-build a productive work environment...people cannot get more and more done when they spend more and more time in meaningless meetings.
    Communicate the vision - let people know where we are going and why, not this secret society rigmarole that has become the norm.
    Pay it forward...it gets less fun everyday having to walk past the executive row of $100k cars while the rest of us worry about bills

Change management rep

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

benefits, atmosphere, employees treated well

Cons

limitations of insurance, not enough employees for the job

Utility

Current Employee - Lead Utility in Atglen, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Utility in Atglen, PA

I have been working at Quad/Graphics

Pros

Pay increases when working third shift

Cons

I don't have any at the moment

Not too Bad

Current Employee - Inkjet Operator in Effingham, IL
    Current Employee - Inkjet Operator in Effingham, IL

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield). 401k match.
    Opportunity for overtime comes and goes.
    Warm place to work in the winter.

Cons

Inhumane conditions in summertime. Keeping doors closed to keep people inside (they claim safety as a reason) is more important than offering a bit of ventilation.
    Opportunities to move up or into another area are held 'close to the vest' ... ie...job not posted then that certain someone happens to get another position. It's happened more than once in this location. (Effingham)

Look out for your people and they'll look out for you. BTW that's in opposition to your current plan.

Distribution Technician

Former Employee - Distribution Technician in New Berlin, WI
    Former Employee - Distribution Technician in New Berlin, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics

Pros

Established employer, with great opportunities

Cons

Great benefits, but need to promote more frequently

Stand behind your leaders, and establish better disciplinary guidelines; one size does not fit all!

Overall, disappointing experience. Corporate leadership was very disconnected from culture in plants.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Unique culture and interesting company history. If they could incorporate it into the plants more, it could do wonders. Some growth potential. Ok benefits.

Cons

Poor culture and very mediocre pay. Not great work/life balance. Biggest issue is the level of disconnection corporate leaders have with plant life. They talk about wanting to focus on improving culture in the plants but don't take steps to do so. It's all talk.

Get out to your plants and talk to employees. Also, if leadership from acquisitions don't buy into quad's culture, get rid of them. They are destroying the culture you are trying to build.

Application Developer

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics

Pros

Great Benefits, good leadership, work culture

Cons

Late hours, tight deadlines, need for more resources

Not a job for lazy people who don't want to stand out.

Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent raises after working hard and showing that I'm committed to the company, family events (Christmas party, Company Picnic), Yearly review of your progress as an individual worker, health, dental and vision insurance. In other words, if you don't stand out in your progress, don't whine about not getting raises. Your not only working for a paycheck, but working to make the company as a whole better!

Cons

Long work hours - 7-7

Honestly, I have none. This is a great company and I am blessed to be able to work for Quad. Thanks to Joel Quadracci and the rest of the team, for the family events they hold.

Good Starting Position

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Sussex, WI
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Sussex, WI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work. Good healthcare and benefits. Work is easy

Cons

No room for advancement, claim to hire within first but haven't heard of a lot of entry level employees going anywhere.

Once a great company, now a low-end miserable experience.

Former Employee - Co-Mailer Operator, Inventory Control in Sussex, WI
    Former Employee - Co-Mailer Operator, Inventory Control in Sussex, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros don't really exist anymore other than the fact that you have a job at all being a pro. You get 4 days off every other week when they're not forcing you to work overtime. They still have apprenticeship programs. Onsite daycare. Nice cafeteria that is over priced like as if you were eating at Applebees or something; mind you, this is not Applebee's.

Cons

Average to below average insurance. below industry standard pay rates (you'll start around $9/hr and in 6 years with really good work record you might be up to $12/hr. and this will be some of the most difficult work you'll ever do.), constant mandatory overtime that at times violates worker rights (Holidays included, I hadn't had a Christmas off for over 6 years. Also, I once worked 21 days straight at 12 hours a day and I'm not the record holder), favoritism is huge here (kissing butt is how you move up faster at this company, not work ethic.), Joel Quadracci is a militant Liberal and he will constantly send you emails and post stories on the company website about Liberal propaganda, most of the people that work in production have extremely low moral due to all the things I'm mentioning and that makes many people very moody all the time and unpleasant to be around (again, it's not their fault), if you happen to be a smoker you won't do it on Quad time on Quad property, you only get two 20 minute breaks in 12 hours and it takes 5 minutes to walk anywhere from where you might be working (so it's more like a 10 minute break), the pace of work is ridiculous. This is why Quad's insurance was once so good; because they knew they were running you into the ground and that you will need good medical for that (not anymore), you are required to do all kinds of training that doesn't occur on your regular work time. You were once paid for this being that you had to do it on your days or day off. (not anymore), a large portion of employees are illegal workers making communication on these loud machines nearly impossible, another large portion of the employees are temp workers that don't really want to work, so you'll always wind up picking up the slack for someone that is lazy. There is so much more but I'm already sick of thinking about it. And just so everyone knows; I wasn't fired or let go for any reason, I quit because I knew I could go anywhere else and get paid better; and I did. The first job I took after Quad paid me a full minimum wage more than what I left Quad at.

You people need to go back to the values that Joel's father had when he started the company. Harry Quadracci cared more about his employees than he did about lining his own pockets. Joel stopped profit sharing and performance review increases because at the time he was building a $10 million addition to his mansion. While we were all suffering with low wages Joel would show up flaunting his Maserati or any number of his million dollar cars.