Quad/Graphics Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
2.7

Quad/Graphics President and CEO J. Joel Quadracci
J. Joel Quadracci

Pros
  • The people are great - everyone is working hard to what they believe is the right direction (in 8 reviews)

• The people are great and there is a strive to provide work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You work long 12 hour shifts with two 20 minute breaks, 3 on, 3 off, 4 on, 4 off with rotating days to nights every 4 months (in 5 reviews)

• You are supposed to get two 15 minute breaks but you'll be lucky to get one (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good paying job

Current Employee - Bindery  in  Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Bindery in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Quad/Graphics part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you need a job working 40 plus hours then this is the job you need

Cons

I really didn't have any cons for this place except I was mad when they closed down

O.k. if you only stay one year

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sussex, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large successful company
    Great health benefits
    On campus work out center

Cons

On the business office side (vs. printing production line), most managers are unprofessional and do not treat their employees with respect. Most managers don't have the experience, skill set, or training to motivate and train their team.
    No established or consistent training.

Provide training for managers to grow professionally and ask for employee feedback on their managers.

It's a job. No perks, but it's a job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Leominster, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leominster, MA

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time

Pros

It's easy to get along with everybody at Quad and I couldn't ask for a better supervisor. I think the pay is fair for the position.
    The hours are flexible and moldable to what I need.

Cons

Mandatory uniforms are a major drag. You must also pay a small weekly fee for the uniforms whether or not you have the uniform company clean them.
    Raises (when you get them) are nearly an insult. The work environment is depressing and there really isn't much to motivate.
    I'm guessing if you work for one of the original Quad plants, it may be a great place to work, but the moral at my location is pretty low.

I hear that our plant makes a lot of money. Rather than buying more and more companies, try reinvesting some of that money into the productive plants. Listen to your employees needs as far as equipment goes. I'm working on a Mac that is over 10 years old with a very slow network. Rather than listening to our supervisor who know's our departments needs, he is told by his boss (that works out of some other location) that we should be able to work on a new Mac Mini, which is totally inadequate for the work we do. A good chunk of my time is sitting waiting, which kills any motivation that I might of had.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Allow you to work without micro management

Cons

Private insurance is a bit more than other companies

Bought by Quad

Current Employee - First Press Operator  in  Greenville, MI
    Current Employee - First Press Operator in Greenville, MI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Modern communications and corporate training/scheduling. Most of this is done online through e-mail and through the company website. Facilities are clean and organized with an increased focus on maintenance over previous corporate owners.

Cons

While some of the training mentioned above is available online, the rest requires to come back into work on days off for brief(1 hour to 4 hour) training. Some paid and some not paid. Local Management occasionally ignores state labor laws with the refrain("we'll fire anyone that sues us."

Should never have temps as long as we do(over 6 mos).

Bad Communication

Current Employee - Gatherer Operator  in  Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - Gatherer Operator in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Have not experienced any Pro's

Cons

Terrible Communication about the closing process

Talk to us like you really care and plan your plant closing a little better next time. Beware East Greenville

Once upon a time, it seemed like the dynamic company to become a part of.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An opportunity to move up the ladder for those individuals with limited skills that need some direction in life and are willing to put in some long hours and hard work and willing to be "yes" men (or women). They do have decent continuing education programs. Health and wellness programs are good although the only way to utilize reasonable cost on health care was through their onsite clinic staffed with Physician Assistants.

Cons

Although I was told that I would get used to the 12 hour shifts, I never did. The company bragged about the three and four day "weekends." This would have been a nice compromise to the 12 hours shifts if a person wouldn't have had to waste day recovering from the grueling workweek. In addition to this, it was very rare that you would have an entire normal weekend off. The plant I worked at seemed to be "content" with an 80+ percent turnover rate, since they continually failed to ask themselves why, with the attitude that they could continue to draw people in during such poor economic times. They continue to have to advertise for workers even during the worst of economic times. This should draw a red flag for most job hunters. There was a time that they bragged up the moniker "work hard, play hard". For most of us there, it was "work hard, pay hardly."

When raise time came along, there was the continuing excuse that the company was in debt due to the Worldcolor acquisition and could not afford to pay more. Despite this ongoing debt, it never prevented the company from buying out other printing companies in the same timeframe. It may have been great from the mind of a stockholder, but for the employees trying to survive during this economic downturn, it forced them to look for something better paying. Over the several years I was there, I only received $1.00 an hour worth of raises. In my current job I have increased my income by $2.00 and hour in the first year.

Even if you advance in the company, it seems like you are a lame duck, meaning you have to oversee 4 out of 5 people that probably won't be with the company the next year. This means they don't give a crap about your success and are only there until something better comes along. I saw people with a great deal of skill be demoted, and other people, basically "yes" men advance even though many of them were unable to help you if you were having issues with your machine and had a habit of ignoring you if that was the case.

The original philosophy of this company has been lost since its founder died. He was looked at, in a way similar to the legacy that Sam Walton left behind. He had the humility to work the floor with the least of his employees and took the time to talk to them and get their input. Many employees expressed that when he ran the company, it seemed more like family, even though their pay wasn't that great by most industry standards. One realizes that the economic downturn does not allow for the freeflow of generosity that Harry Quadracci displayed to his employees to win their hearts and minds. In the same manner, it was a key part of what encouraged those same employees to give 110% of themselves because of their admiration of him and the feeling that he truly cared about them. I never truly felt that the company truly cared about me the entire time I was there. For me the uniform did not express teamwork, as they would have me believe. It felt like I was just part of the machinery.

Quad/Graphics likes to say they are the "company with a soul", but I haven't seen it.

I have been working at Quad/Graphics

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Pay for performance pits seems to pit employees against each other. It's not necessarily the best employees that get increases (and there are very few increases.

Top level finishing management should make themselves more accessible.

Very Poor HR Dept.

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, benefits, good working hours and plenty of overtime.

Cons

Trying to muddle your way through the chain of command. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing or just doesn't care.
    When I was hired the HR couldn't work the program that you use to work out your benefits, when I left the company, I still didn't have my benefits correct and as such have medical bills we are now responsible for. Had to go to a different location HR in order to get ANYTHING done! Also had several checks that were short so watch your hours vs wages.

Get on the same page and find an HR person who cares about the employees.

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Binder Operator  in  Sussex, WI
    Former Employee - Binder Operator in Sussex, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady paycheck. Awesome co-workers.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Mandatory overtime. Poor raises. If you're promoted you do NOT receive a raise. When you do receive a raise it is very small. Forced to do the work of multiple people by youself. 12 hour days with no or only one 20 minute break.

Stop mandatory overtime. Pay employees what they are worth. Your turnover is high for reason.

Worked for Quad/Graphics? Contribute to the Community!