Quad/Graphics Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Can't say enough bad things about it!

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent; they have onsite workout facilities. The Sussex plant is in a park like setting, good to get out to and relax (if you can). You can participate in group exercise classes before work, during lunch, after work. They have personal trainers.

Cons

Human Resources, which calls itself Employee Services, has no clue what they are doing. I have never seen so many mistakes come out of one department. The managers in human resources need to learn how to manage people. The company talks about their values, sends managers through training, but few execute on those values. They want you to be innovative, but won't take your ideas. They want you to think like an owner, but won't include you in the process. There is HUGE favoritism in human resources. Long term employees get away with mistreating others, they are childish, and if you are not long term you can't be a part of the "club." They will promise you things when they are recruiting, but they never follow through on them, and you better not ask. There is ABSOLUTELY NO work/life balance!! Overworked and underpaid and appreciated.

Advice to Management

Get rid of many of the top human resources members, hold human resources accountable for their bad behavior. Get rid of the favoritism. Professional and mature people won't want to work for us and they won't stay if you continue to treat them as you do. Growth comes in all forms, that includes bringing in external people to join your team and become a part of the team, and help you grow.

2. Many have No idea

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Contrary to many reviews, with 30 years in the industry but just over one with Quad, it seems many have no idea how good this company is compared with a majority of the industry. My experience is that pay is equitable, benefits greatly exceed many others, opportunity is available, and vision for the future is bright. Adherence to the founder's ideals is what sets this environment apart. He set out to create a culture very different from the industry, and the values are common sense. The grass is certainly not greener outside the fence from my experiences in and around the industry.

Cons

I think there is a bit too much specialization of tasks and positions, because sometimes it requires too many people to do direct tasks that customers need fulfilled.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to look forward and continue to grow and diversify our offerings while being careful to not water down the basics.

3. I like it.

Current Employee - BA Leader in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - BA Leader in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Quad/Graphics (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think it is healthy, family oriented company. I work here over 2 years. I like leaders and believe in our future.

Cons

I do not have any down sides... May want more increase in salary. Who does not :). But I completely understand why it cannot be bigger now.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Joel Quadracci has best leader quality I ever see in my life.

Buy into the culture or be left on the sidelines.

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Quad/Graphics (More than a year)

Pros

Great reputation. Mostly good people. Long track record of success even in an industry in slow decline and consolidating.

Cons

Rather unorthodox culture of hero worshiping the founder (now deceased) with company wide mandatory blue uniforms. Cloistered , some suggest. Expect layoffs to continue as industry accelerates it's inevitable decline with all things now digital. Promotions are politically driven - not by tenure or performance. Pay scale Ok, but don’t expect any big raises anytime soon.

Advice to Management

Start to accept fresh business advice and ‘best practices’ from outsiders. Consider expanding into other non-printing industries before the bottom falls out.

6. Corporate Trainee

Current Employee - Corporate Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Corporate Management Trainee

I have been working at Quad/Graphics (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities nationally, advancement based on performance -not tenure, upper management extremely approachable and personable

Cons

Not enough interdepartmental discussion about cross-functional systems, particularly With IT. Would like more international opportunity

Advice to Management

Need more support and encouragement to continue learning and upskill employees

7. Don't do it, other jobs out there that pay as much and are way better.

Former Employee - Finishing Technician in Hartford, WI
    Former Employee - Finishing Technician in Hartford, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are awesome best people I have worked with at a job. Willing to help you until you fully know what you're doing.

Cons

It is hot as hell. You must wear steel toe boots which means your feet will be dead after every shift. If you don't need full timw benifits I strongly suggest part time work because yes it's 3 on 4 off and 4 on 3 off but mind you you'll spend a day recovering from the shift you just had. Also 2 20 minute breaks(really 5-10 with walking and such) is absolute garbage specially on a hot day. There were times when I had felt I was going to pass out while working from lack of water and air. Change your ways no need for 12 hour shifts at a factory job

Advice to Management

Take in some of the advice on this page if you guys look at it. We as employees should have our voices heard we make your guys' money.

8. Not as good as it seems

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The value wheel is a beautiful thing

Cons

If the cultures and values were actually instilled and carried out by management, this would be a great place to work, but unfortunately they only look good on paper.

9. roll tender

Current Employee - Press Assistant II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Press Assistant II in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work as much as you want, most.jobs aren't too strenuous

Cons

Mandatory over time, bad attendance policy

Advice to Management

Loosen up

10. Decent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance Good job growth Quad Med right by Sussex facility Day care in campus

Cons

Uniform - not only have to wear uniform, we need to pay for it ourselves. Pay can be better HR gets to employee's special situation when they get to it - no matter how urgent or important

Advice to Management

Everyone seems to be moving to a relaxed work culture - like business formals, pets at work place, fun office cubicles. We seem to be stuck in the past because it is 'culture'.

Hard core! All about production without care for the employee. Only 2 breaks in a 12 hour shift. Poor management.

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Waseca, MN
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Waseca, MN

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job and pay is ok... That is about it. Nothing else good to say. But this thing wanted 20 words.

Cons

Hard working conditions, hot, few breaks, poor management. Change good things so that it is done their way. They de-skill jobs...

Advice to Management

When you buy a profitable company like Brown printing don't just change things so they are your way, learn from what they are doing right and adapt those things to your other companies.

RSS Feed </> Embed