Quad/Graphics Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.7

Quad/Graphics President and CEO J. Joel Quadracci
J. Joel Quadracci

Pros
  • The people are great - everyone is working hard to what they believe is the right direction (in 8 reviews)

• The people are great and there is a strive to provide work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You work long 12 hour shifts with two 20 minute breaks, 3 on, 3 off, 4 on, 4 off with rotating days to nights every 4 months (in 5 reviews)

• You are supposed to get two 15 minute breaks but you'll be lucky to get one (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Industry stuck in old ways

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic  in  Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

People seem to strike a solid work/life balance. Plant is clean, people are friendly if you don't try to improve anything. Everyone wants to do their job and go home.

Cons

No leadership or vision. Since the founder's son took over the company has gone down hill. New management doesn't know how to tap into the wealth of knowledge of experienced pool of unmotivated people. The print industry is changing and I don't believe quad graphics is going to survive with their current vision.

Consider extracting the knowledge of the senior employees and transferring that to a new generation.

pay was good, compassion for employees is not very high

Former Employee - Machine Operator  in  Jonesboro, AR
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The opportunity to make money is there, if that is what drives you. The shift set up we had did offer SOME time off. I HAD a job until they closed the factory... along with about a dozen others.

Cons

Management kept changing at our factory. New set of rules, new way of doing things, didn't really want to hear any new ideas because they already knew it all. Days off varied to a degree. Had people working overtime when they didn't really need them. Closed plants and left people without jobs...a lot of people!

Stop being greedy. I understand you have a business to run, but treating your employees like "something" stuck to the bottom of your shoe is not a good practice for your future. You will run off your experience and anyone who may care about their job.

Satisfaction fading

Current Employee - Accounting  in  Sussex, WI
    Current Employee - Accounting in Sussex, WI

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are great and there is a strive to provide work/life balance. We have a fitness center and cafe but the fitness classes are nearly eliminated as focus of wellness has switched from being a benefit to being a profit center.

Cons

Senior Management in accounting has little understanding of the quantity and quality of work and knowledge of those who have been here for a long time. Employees feel under appreciated.

Trust those below you to help you understand the culture and appreciate the resources you have in those grown up in the company. Try to understand and appreciate the value of those you have. On that note, employees throughout the company valued the fitness center staff and classes as a HUGE benefit, and taking that away is creating stress and resentment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Quad

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of different positions available with adequate training.

Cons

Life doesn't begin until you work for Quad...if you were part of an acquisition little recognition of previous years service.

Was a good place to work until Quad bought us out.

Former Employee - Rolltender  in  Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Rolltender in Merced, CA

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoyed working with everyone with the exception of a few.

Cons

First off those stupid uniforms are ridiculous! Have to call a day ahead to see if you have to work the next day. Can't plan a life unless you take a vacation. Good ole boy, circle of friends culture. If your friends with the manager you're well taken care of, if you're not well you get the picture and I have plenty of examples of that! Management has no consideration for the people that have put in a lot of years and have families to take care of. Only care that you take care of the company. They want you to step up to the next position but without the pay (take the risk without the reward). To much favoritism.

You say you are a company with a soul. I think many would say otherwise. Treat people like they're worth something other than a $ sign. Get rid of the circle of friends culture in Merced.

Decent place to work

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work in the IT department. In general things are pretty good. The work is interesting and the people I work with are great.

Cons

Things have gotten quite 'corporate' since we went public. The feeling I get is that the workers don't really matter to upper management. They say we matter, but the focus is *always* on making the bottom line look good. It's not at all the way the 'old Quad' was.

I rarely see upper management or even middle management smile. Most of the time i see a scowl on their faces.

Talk to the workers. Give them the big picture and what their part in it is.

Had its ups and downs

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Sussex, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sussex, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, good environment, terrific benefits, good salary for an entry level developer, several nice perks.

Cons

The biography of Harry Quadracci (company founder and father of the current CEO) is titled "Ready, Fire, Aim", and that pretty well sums it up. Haphazard, seat-of-the-pants development atmosphere, and poor effort given to training up new people.

Given the economic environment and the state of the print industry, you're probably doing what you have to. More structure and focus at the bottom of the totem pole would help, especially if you're trying to move into mobile apps.

Where to start??

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits
    Nothing else is good

Cons

Where do I start with this first off they play the favorites game so if you looking for overtime it won't happen unless you are one of the favorites. Next they don't like minorities especially blacks just how it is they look out for the regular associates more than their leads which is horrible then they give these dumb job titles out like team lead which is really the supervisor and business area lead which is really the operations manager just to be cheap and not pay people supervisor or operations salary then you get 2 20 minute breaks in 12 hours really?? You get overtime after 40 which you will never see because you only get 3 days a week this company is a joke

Racism is not cool

Not A Good Experience or Environment

Former Employee - Production Worker  in  New Berlin, WI
    Former Employee - Production Worker in New Berlin, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is not bad its better than most

Cons

This company plays favoritism. My supervisor was always out to get me and make me look bad. I'm glad I do not work there anymore and I would not recommend this company.

was good until quad bought our company and shut the doors at the plant i worked for for 30+ years!

Former Employee - Lead Offset Pressman  in  Mount Morris, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Offset Pressman in Mount Morris, IL

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

companys were good til quad bought them out

Cons

since becoming a company with outside shareholders the employee treatment has went straight to hell!

listen to employees that make you the money

Worked for Quad/Graphics? Contribute to the Community!