Qualcomm Reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Stable, but stagnant work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership, good compensation/benefits, good outlook and future, but some processes that should be deprecated/updated are still used, and the actual work isn't as challenging as it was when I had just started.

Cons

Stagnating work, finding I'm working on maintenance and routine development rather than solving problems.

Advice to Management

Look into re-evaluating processes that result in lost productivity and don't add to the development workflow.

Standard company.. Used to be much better

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Regular work, good performing company.. and stable job.

Cons

Depending on the group - opportunities to grow are limited. Satellite offices are pretty isolated and the promotion structure is really about who you know and whether your manager is aggressive enough, rather than work output. It used to be an engineering company, meaning design and new innovation oriented, but now it's a product oriented company - who wins the rat race to get the barely good product out the door. The ones at the top who've been there > 10-15 years have all sort of settled down, where as the people at the bottom do all the work for minimal bonuses.

Advice to Management

1) There is no pride in what we do anymore, because we are constantly pulled from one project to the next.
    2) Way too aggressive timelines and teams basically want to push the blame from one to the other.
    3) You've cut down slowly on every benefit, that now you're no different from a middle of the road tech company in employee compensation/benefits.

3. Great place to work at!!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

The people here are very knowledgeable and helpful. Have a good work/life balance. Plus boulder as a city is a very beautiful place to stay in. Love working here.

Cons

Too many product lines to support and not much clarity regarding the process.

Advice to Management

Please simply the processes.

Excellent Place to work, Great Benefits

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Qualcomm is one the best companies to work for. The salary is above national average and Qualcomm is one of the high paying companies. The benefits are really awesome, you get full health care coverage with very little copay.

If you are ambitious and hard working, Qualcomm is really good company to start your career and move forward.

Cons

Sometimes the work gets hectic. Salary although high and Qualcomm is among best paying companies, it still not as high as compared to other giants like Google or Microsoft. Hence Qualcomm may have issues in retaining talent.

Bonuses and stocks are given to employees but again they could be much higher.

Advice to Management

If Qualcomm wants to.retain their top talent they should really start paying their top performing engineer higher salary so they are not tempted by offers from other companies and also give much higher bonuses and stock grants.

6. Has its highs and lows

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The remote offices have good work/life balance. Management pushes for individual developer growth. Good compensation, regular performance bonuses.

Cons

If you're working on one of the core products, your life becomes part of the device cycle. There's always a huge push before shipment to fix all the bugs, and not enough people to do it.

Advice to Management

Force managers to spend more time on the careers of the people they're managing. Too many managers do the bare minimum, and some clearly don't even know what it takes to be successful.

7. One of the best summers I have had

Current Intern - Interim Engineering Intern in Boulder, CO
    Current Intern - Interim Engineering Intern in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Qualcomm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Although the experience might be team dependent, my team was fantastic, project was great, manager was super chill (got to go golfing with him), and the support for interns is fantastic! We had SO many intern events and were definitely well taken care of.

Cons

Not San Diego, CA so we sometimes didn't get to work on all the cutting edge stuff.

8. Weak internship program

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits for an internship, got code-reviewed, which is good for becoming a better programmer. Having a lot of other interns makes for a decent social scene outside of work.

Cons

The company doesn't really care about your intern project, doesn't give you real responsibilities, relatively low interaction with full time engineers who could foster your growth better. The company culture also felt like the majority of people in my office weren't trying to take on significant responsibility nor were proactive about contributing to the company; excitement level is quite low.

Advice to Management

Don't recycle intern projects (we know you do), just give small scale projects that you think can actually be used in the long term but are relatively lower impact. Encourage more interaction between interns and mentors.

9. They work to keep you happy

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First off, this review applies to the Boulder office. Other offices may be different.

Good work/life balance
    Competitive compensation
    Work *can* be very interesting when working on cutting edge technology
    Smart co-workers

Cons

Little insight into project health - it may be good one day, then cancelled the next.
    Can be difficult working for a lead in a remote office.

10. Great work-life balance

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have good flexibility in choosing the work quantity (of course will decide your growth rate), reasonable stock awards, but can be varying year over year. But the open door culture in the office encourages faster and better learning.

Cons

Difficult to establish yourself if you don't push yourself, and the competition is pretty heavy. Difficult to straight forward feedback/comments from the management (have to ask explicitly for feedback). The salary gap is pretty large from one level to another, but I guess that creates a difference in the work experience. Other than that, I don't see anything specifically negative.

11. Great work culture

Former Intern - Interim Engineering Intern in Boulder, CO
    Former Intern - Interim Engineering Intern in Boulder, CO

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance
    high salary

Cons

Very less scope for innovation and growth