Qualcomm CDMA

Qualcomm CDMA Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Qualcomm CDMA CEO Paul E. Jacobs

Paul E. Jacobs

Pros:
  • "Good salary, benefits, Cutting Edge project, good engineers"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Talented folks, Good knowledge sharing, Work-life balance, Awesome health benefits"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be improved"
    in 4 reviews
  • "As a large company, sometimes, you feel the career ladder is really long"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Showing signs of a "big bureaucratic" company, but still a great place to work

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm CDMA

ProsThe people working at Qualcomm are by and at large extremely hard working and smart, it is really a pleasure working with folks ther. Also, it is a great place learn new things and grow in your career. Furthermore, the work does not become repetivite and boring, there are always new challenges and experiences

ConsThe project schedules at Qualcomm tend to be unrealistic, there is an unwillingness in all levels of management to acknowledge this an plan for it accordingly. As a result, things get really hectic towards the end of a project with sometimes unnecessary sacrifices in quality. Also lately, Qualcomm has suffered from the "too many chiefs, not enough indians" syndrome, everybody is the lead of something, so that there is sometimes nobody to do the actual work and way too much time is spent just reporting status & issues to various higher ups

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan for realistic schedules, also flatten the hierarchies and create clearer lines of communication

Qualcomm's in trouble in four years

Senior Engineer In Customer Engineering Department (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm CDMA

Prosstability, access to work in great technology, secure job as not too many layoffs

Constoo much work, organization is old and full of politics, growth opportunities are limited and depends how you curry favor with upper management, does not have collaborative culture and more focused on individual accomplishments. The organization is very structured and hierarchical. It is not egalitarian.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more information sharing between departments. Every person should have a 360 degree feedback for their review. Currently, the organization is very hierarchical and every person kisses their upper levels ass while they kick down

Qualcomm: a great place to work

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm CDMA

ProsQualcomm cares about its employees. They work hard and are rewarded well for it. Qualcomm employees enjoy many ammenities on site to attend to their mental and physical health. Training is also a big part of Qualcomm; you can learn the latest in wireless technology by attending a class in person or on-line. At Qualcomm, there is flexibility to work in any group you see as a fit for you. Flex time is a big plus too.

ConsLong hours to get the job done; tight schedules to meet to stay competitive in the market place;

Advice to Senior Managementnone at this time

Great place to work - watch your back

Staff Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCutting edge wireless technology, San Diego!!, Benefits, Challenging

ConsVERY political environment - lot's of "cliques", but VERY nice people individually. Some old dead wood still around.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house - get rid of incompetent leaders

Good benefits, okay compensation...be prepared to work

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm CDMA

Prosnice company with great benefits. lots of opportunity to move to different areas and I have seen people grow by having jobs created for them. great activities for employees (such as picnics, evenings out, summer employee music/outdoor events) and a lot of learning resources available to take advantage of.

We get free medical and dental benefits which is a definite plus and something I have not seen at other companies.

ConsThere are a few draw backs to working at QCT:
QCT has a totally different culture than the rest of Qualcomm
QCT employees work an excessive amount of time, often with little recognition
Within QCT there is a lot of critical speak that goes on, have thick skin if you join
The QCT culture is one of putting out fires -- don't expect a lot of planning to happen to prevent these fires
If you are on the business side you need to realize that there is not a lot of recognition outside of engineers

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to focus more on the business and not just the engineering side of QCT. There is much much more to a successful company than just producing products.

A place to spend your retirement years

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm CDMA

ProsI am a new graduate and I am getting my own office.

ConsEngineers you work with are not bright. You are rewarded by how much (quantity) grunt work you do not how smart you work and seeing the big picture correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to hire engineers who are not bright.

Fantastic Company. Technically strong.

Staff Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Qualcomm CDMA

ProsFantastic Engineers. Solid COmmunications Expertise

ConsYou can get stuck with one technology for a long time if u dont look around.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt almost looked like "out of sight is our of mind". The co-ordination of engineering & management
across multiple sites was really pathetic. Engineers in Campbell did not receive the kind of technical/integration support that is expected of a globallly managed company. Almost haphazard engineering support from San Diego. It was almost like GPS did not exist in a phone. Failure of management.

Qualcomm rocks!

San Jose, CA

ProsJob Security works for me

ConsHandset market and legal issues

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating

Great engineers and Challenging technical work, but poor management

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm CDMA

ProsGood technology, challenging work, good opportunity to sharpen technical and all-round skills. Even entry level postions involve a lot of responsibility, including liasing with other technology teams, coordinating release schedules besides technical competance with system software design.

ConsMiddle management leaves a lot to be desired. Frequent changes in direction, last-minute surprises and crisis mode operation are de riguer rather than the exception.The problem is exacerbated by unrealistically aggressive schedules, lack of planning, shortage of resources and setting of unrealistic customer expectations by marketing. As a result, most of the engineers routinely end up working very late hours with litte appreciation of their outstanding effort

Advice to Senior ManagementRehaul middle management structure, better planning especially program management.

QCT Leads the Pack

Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm CDMA

ProsWhen given the choice between designing the brain or the body, Qualcomm CDMA Technologies, a.k.a. QCT, chose to design the brain. As a result, Qualcomm and QCT design hardware and software for every discipline and standard imaginable; CDMA, WCDMA, BREW, video, audio, displays, etc. QCT is a meritocracy and the system is designed to give equal access to opportunities to both current and potential employees.

ConsHard to call it a direct criticism of QCT, but the communication semiconductor business is hyper competitive on an international level and there is relentless market pressure to reduce margins. To make a good ROI you have to be in front of the competition with novel products/services that capture a premium. There is also little brand awareness outside the industry, making semiconductor companies, in general, subject to nearly continual treadmill-like activity that can sometimes seem like a race with out a finish line.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Qualcomm CDMA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm CDMA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Qualcomm CDMA CEO Paul E. Jacobs. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Qualcomm CDMA employees.