Qualcomm
3.9 of 5 1,264 reviews
www.qualcomm.com San Diego, CA 5000+ Employees

Qualcomm Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance, stable company, great sense of contribution to the world"
    in 84 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, Great People, Great Challenges - Innovation"
    in 108 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hard to strike a good work/life balance if you want to keep advancing"
    in 74 reviews
  • "I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases"
    in 64 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dissatisfied and cheated employees

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsIndividual office spaces. Good technology with a steady growth for the company.

ConsBad pay. Zero options to work remote. Might get cheated in immigration and not be told. Not many attractive incentives to the employees to challenge themselves. Very deadline driven....never consider feedback from employees for deadlines

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove pay packages b4 they lose the best. Absolutely encourage remote work from different offices arnd the world.

An engineer's dream company

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsGreat company...values good people...Engineers have a lot of power...invests a lot in engineers training and development

ConsIt is a big company...you will take time getting to know the whole organization

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they have done a spectacular job over the years. perhaps the other sites could be better synced with San Diego. Sometimes we get lost in knowing who to contact and for what

Great Company. Not so great pay

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsWireless innovation at its best. Leading company in 3G and will lead the world in 4G. 2 performance reviews per year, so you are at your toes trying to impress all the time.
Stock incentives are good as is stock growth compared to other large companies.

ConsPay not too great. Company growing rapidly and hence losing its startup culture

Advice to Senior Managementtry retaining the best talent within the company

Great place to work

Interim Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsQualcomm is a great company with many opportunities. The company treats employees well and as an intern I received many perks.

ConsThere was no official training.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training.

It's a decent company to work for

Interim Engineering (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Qualcomm

ProsThe company has enthusiastic work culture, with innovation at the heart of the company and wide range of opportunities, it definitely is a good place to start your career and keep grooming yourself in communications technology.

ConsThe cash compensation at Qualcomm is not that lucrative so if you are high on this factor then you may feel let down. However with all the benefits, which should be taken into consideration by an employee, the overall package is decent by industry standards.
At least Qualcomm had spent a lot on the Interns [ Decent Cash-Compensation + Many paid-activities + (A+)housing + travel allowance + intern-weekends]. I was literally over-whelmed by the treatment. :)

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the start-ups acquired by the company haven't still integrated well with the company culture, if that's a right observation to be put in.

Engineers rule the QCOM universe.

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsQualcomm has a very strong engineering culture. Engineers get the resources they need with very little fuss. Compared to other places I have worked in engineers here are spoiled. If you are an engineer then this place is great because QCOM is an still very, very much strives to be an industry leader. Engineering also has a good promotion policy that keeps engineers as engineers.

ConsBeing San Diego's biggest employer they do not compete with salaries albeit the benefits compensate somewhat. Another downside is you are expected to work around the clock and waste a lot of time in meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerge program management with engineering and dismantle the current structure where the two groups are separate.

Big company....small company feel.

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsBenefits, professional growth. Being part of a visionary tech company. Qualcomm's core value of hiring the best and giving them the tools to do what they do best.

ConsIt is losing the small company, team feeling that made us a great company. Burnout from workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of making your employees feel valuable.

Work hard, play hard, great benefits!

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsBenefits, work recognition, large company.

ConsLong hours are sometimes required

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

3 G .......4 G... basically a lot of Geeeez

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsGreat company. good leadership, great benefits , easy to see why its ranked #8 to work for. Great location. Not being scattered across helps I think. the other locations are independent and functionally different units. Next 5 years look good too for the company as 3G ramps up across the globe. open culture and teamwork and environment for cross-group communication, though it is not excersized by overly focussed engineers. good and bad there. The learning environment is absolutely the best, one day you could learn about LTE and then next you'd get to hear a Stanford Professor speak about finance. If you are semiconductors/radio engineer it is the best place, but in my opinion its the business guys who have the most fun @ qualcomm.

ConsThere's a tendency to not acknowledge what's going on out in the industry especially in areas which are not core competencies as the company tries to expand its horizons. A lot of non chipset specific ideas have already been baked at OEMs such as nokia etc, but sometimes i have noticed that this ignorance has acted as a bliss, because of Qualcomm's partnership and customer delight strengths to counter that disadvantage.
another downside is that there are bunch of people who are in their early and mid thirties who are directors and above now as they joined in the mid 90's and grew with the company. A lot are Indians, and nothing racist there as I'm one too, but most are too tactical and not at all strategical, some are bloated and in their comfort zone. Most have not worked anywhere else and it shows.

Advice to Senior Managementsenior leadership is great and admirable. Paul Jacobs has a good handle on people , technology and the industry. He's very approachable too and that sets the tone for the immediate followers. Advice is to keep that going. I see opportunities to slim down middle management in some cases or be known to take a harsh decision , not because of too many levels , but there are a lot of scenarios where I see that people are better than their bosses and that's when start-ups become truly corporate.

Good company, good compensation, good work, could do better people organization.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsThe company has Flexible hours, so it makes it easy to do the work whenever you want to.
The compensation includes also Good package, which includes a good salary and health care.
The work is also interesting, as you are always working on new technologies which are yet to come out.
There is also strong encouragement to enhance your techie-skills. They have monthly classes on the hot communication topics which allow you to learn and keep up-to-date with whats going on.
Qualcomm also organizes various events every now and then such as "Summer on the Lawn". Also, being in San Diego, the weather is always awesome and always a ball to hang out on the weekends.

ConsUnforeseen issues that come up and have to solved immediately

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter project coordination is necessary where old projects are not handed off to a newbie. This takes more time.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by Qualcomm employees.