Qualcomm
3.9 of 5 1,260 reviews
www.qualcomm.com San Diego, CA 5000+ Employees

Qualcomm Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance, stable company, great sense of contribution to the world"
    in 84 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, Great People, Great Challenges - Innovation"
    in 108 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hard to strike a good work/life balance if you want to keep advancing"
    in 74 reviews
  • "I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases"
    in 64 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Qualcomm is the future

Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsThe perks at working here include free drinks (soda, water, coffee) an onsite cafe and fitness centers as well as pleanty of ways to get involved with the community.

ConsA very large company where you don't always know who you're dealing with

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job at uniting the teams and providing feedback to employees

Depending on where in the company, can be a great place, or a not so great place to work.

Staff Engineer/Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsExplosive potential in technology and financial gain.

ConsPolitics with in management makes the workplace tougher than needed and less rewarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure what I would tell senior management.

Great Place to Work

Test Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros- Qualcomm offers a very good compensation package.
- Almost everybody has an office, so it is not a cube world.
- People are helpful to each other, there isn't much competition among employees.
- I haven't seen any layoffs over the last few years.
- There is free dinner at 6pm for employees who plan to work after hours.

Cons- The only downside of working at Qualcomm is busy work schedule. People are encouraged to work after hours (there is free dinner at 6pm). So, most people work until 9pm.
- There are many projects and deadlines. Sometimes, it gets very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers are not very involved with what their engineers are doing, so their expectations are not always realistic.

Good place to work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsBenefits and located in San diego

ConsSan Diego is expensive and the company is not a good pay master

Advice to Senior ManagementJob well done

Good company to work for.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsGood management, good work life balance.
Also perks are good. There is a good employee stock purchase program and good health benefits.
Reviews are done every six months, and managers are trained well.
There are good programs that encourage innovation.
The company also offers good online training courses that can be taken advantage of, time permitting.

ConsSometimes too focussed on deadlines, and software quality suffers as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward software quality also equally.

Mostly Good Little Bad if you look for it

Purchasing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsBenefits, Salary, Family/Life Balance, Profitable, Culture & Technology Advancements

ConsLong Term employee issues regarding Management, poor performance, "retired" on the job, lots of dead wood. Some organizations require technical degrees for non technical positions, can be hard for non-technical degreed professionals to move into new positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I have a lot of respect for the officers managing the direction of this company and believe what they communicate. A saying going around is that it is easier to get a (different) job at Qualcomm fromt the outside than to transfer within. A focus to hire within and encourage transfers and not say "no" if capable but no technical degree for non-technical jobs. Seems most support is for engineers only.

Qualcomm a good place to work if not the best.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros- Company is doing well. It always is good to be a part of a company especially if it is growing. I have been involved in 2 start-ups. I know the perils of an unstable work-place.
- One of the best places to learn technology across a broad spectrum.
- Good benefits.

Cons- Company is growing into a big organization but behaves like a mid-sized company especially the middle management.
- Work load and stress a bit elevated.
- Some more compensation should be given because of the stress in the job.
- Does not pay for MBA if you are in a technical position.

Advice to Senior Management- Change\Reform the middle management.
- We should be careful about sending our work outside. I am not saying, we shouldnt ship work to other countries but we should do it very carefully. We dont want to end up like Motorola.

Great place to work; compensation could be better

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsGreat company; leader in the field, lots of potential - will probably benefit massively in the next several years with 3G uptake

ConsStarting to get a little unweildly with it's size. A lot of process is starting to obscure the dynamic history of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to pay attention to salaries in the Bay Area. They are trying to hire and it's been very slow, because they are competing with the Bay Area

Good employer, can be better

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsOne of the very few big hi-tech employers in San Diego, CA. Cutting edge work with nice work/life balance. San Diego is the best places to work with best weather and nice family living.

ConsEngineering centric company, business knowledge not much valued. Focused heavily on wireless communication technology and licensing for it's core competency, no consumer product or diversification into services. If Qualcomm boat rocks, then you are staring at relocating to other places for a similar job. No other wireless big-name employer has been able to get a foothold in San Diego. Ericsson, Nokia and TI have close operations in San Diego after failed attempts to establish business in San Diego.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand into diversified business.

QUALCOMM is a ZOO!

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsLeading edge technology and opportunity for acquiring technical knowledge

ConsExtremely long hours, rude and lousy middle and senior-level management (Dir, VP & Sr. VP level), chaotic, lack of processes, go-with-the-crowd-attitude, do not appreciate out-of-the-box thinking, don't give credit when credit is due, nepotism is in full effect! It doesn't matter if you are completely incompetent, as long as you know a senior-level manager, you will get in and you will have the doers working under you to do the job so that you can take the credit for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your processes so the employees don't have to work 60+ hours to get something done that could be accomplished in 40 hours. Seriously review the knowldege-base and the managemnt skills of your Sr.and VP level management. Put a STOP to the growth in your middle management. They are NOT helping your operational efficiency!! Solicit direct input from your employees on the quality of their work environment. MONEY IS NOT EVERYTHING!!!

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by Qualcomm employees.