Qualcomm

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf

Steve Mollenkopf

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Staff Technical Writer (Current Employee)
    Bridgewater, NJ

ProsIntelligent people, good salary, very good benefits.

ConsPeriods of intense work pressure. Work from home strongly discouraged.

Great company

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bridgewater, NJ

ProsInteresting projects, decent job growth. Nice people

ConsNo cons as such; Bridgewater is a very slow and boring place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease move the bridgewater, NJ office to a slightly better / well connected location like Jersey city etc.

Good learning curve.

Intern (Former Employee)
    Bridgewater, NJ

ProsBenefits, smart people to work with, good management

ConsSome projects get cancelled or lose steam

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What you see is what you get

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bridgewater, NJ

ProsDecent pay, health benefits blah blah blah.... which can make you lazy enough not to move or grow.
    Definitely awesome company to work for if you are in the right team
    If you are smart enough to figure out the chaos then this is the company for you.

ConsA lot of them. Some of them are my experiences most of them are what my friends are going through now.
    1) Will make you more lazy if you are in the wrong team
    2) Boss will give you a dumb job some times
    3) Beware of your own team members. You never know who will pull you down.
    4) Things do get done because there is always a crazy push and managers here try to hire more folks than to sharpen the brains already present in the team :) (i hope you get my point)
    5) Some managers here never are so pro for your career growth although during the interview they sing to your tunes.
    6) Coming to your office don't be surprise if you are crammed and HR doesn't even care about the ergonomics no more :).
    7) One more thing if its too hard to believe trust me I have a lot of time in hand and i have been growing crazier. Even some of my so called team mates (very smart PhD's Mit stanford grads) enjoy their lives and act off to show they have work to do in meetings, in reality that would have been completed the assigned task in 2 hrs already.So you get the point.
    8) One more e.g. Say If you want to borrow a pencil for another team typically you go ask for the person whom you know in that team. But here they send out emails which include a big group to let every one know that you are working and it is frustrating.
    9) Currently an example for a good culture turned bad, and hiring a lot of asians directly from India/China (Indian's and chinese) has made it even worse. They don't have any other hobby, i think work is the only hobby or habit and now the company looks like sweat shop . Being an asian i feel very sorry for them. I second this.
    10) Last but not the least:No room to grow :) so experienced folks what so ever you guys are low balled all the time and think twice before that move. Learn more about the team better.
    11) There is a lot of redundancy.
    12) Some of them think Industry=Qualcomm. I am just surprised.
    13) Hires a lot of outstanding PhD's for test engineering (some times its dumb) and they lose their hard gained knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementI always yearned to work for this company, was thrilled when i joined but i got burned out in the first month.So my request to you :can you get that wanting to work for back please. Pay, Benefits alone is not good enough. Promoting your folk at time would help.

Good place to work if you don't mind recycling other people's work

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)
    Bridgewater, NJ

ProsGreat benefits, flexible work environment. Immediate supervisor was terrific.

ConsMiddle management incompetent and flat out has no business being managers. One nearly caused me to burn out from overworking the team (EVERYTHING was an emergency because he wanted it done fast so he could look good).

Work consisted mostly of recycling code from other groups within Qualcomm - mostly in San Diego. No way to innovate! San Diego acts like their excrement smells sweeter than everybody else's and does not provide support or adequate documentation for their stuff.

No appreciation for past work by some senior engineering staff (not even a "thank you" when I left). I was never thanked by one manager even though he got a promotion thanks to my efforts and those of my colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire two mid-level hardware engineering managers who happen to have the same first name. None of the engineering staff likes them - only upper managers. You know who I mean.

Quite good and stable

Interim Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
    Bedminster, NJ

Prosgood work environments: free drink and fruit; office is fully equiped and quite large
    colleagues are nice, people like to communicate on work and cooperate well
    working tasks are interesting, combining communication and hardware design

ConsThere are few public traffic to company site. So it would be very inconvenient without a car.
    There is a canteen in the building, but it closes in the afternoon so only lunch and breakfast is available.

Very great atmosphere, and resourced they treat employees great.

Asset Manager (Current Employee)
    Somerset, NJ

ProsBenefits are great they have a lot of perks and incentives.

ConsA lot of work to be done not easy you have to be very hardworking.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease open more positions for employees that are interested in working for QualcoMM in the Business and management department.

good

Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsOverall, a good company to work for. work with some bright and talented people. learn a lot from peers and supervisors

ConsWork life balance is not very satisfactory. Sometimes feel a little bit boring in the office. Total compensation is ok, but grow slowly

Advice to Senior Managementoverall, the management is good. They care about people, care about your development. They also made right decision in difficult times

Top down culture stifles individual development.

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bridgewater, NJ

ProsTechnology you get to work with.

ConsClosed culture, top down management style is stifling

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an open culture and must hire more junior engineers to have better hierarchy

good place to work with bright people

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bridgewater, NJ

ProsCompetent and smart people around you. Good place to gain experience from one of the leaders in wireless industry.

ConsCan get monotonous. It has become a big company with a lot of people in the middle to senior positions. Hence opportunity for promotions and fast growth within the company may be limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation within the company may be getting slower. They have to come up with ways to drive this.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Qualcomm employees.