Qualcomm Reviews

Steve Mollenkopf

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Staff Technical Writer in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Technical Writer in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Intelligent people, good salary, very good benefits.

Cons

Periods of intense work pressure. Work from home strongly discouraged.

2. Great company

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, decent job growth. Nice people

Cons

No cons as such; Bridgewater is a very slow and boring place to be.

Please move the bridgewater, NJ office to a slightly better / well connected location like Jersey city etc.

3. Good learning curve.

Former Employee - Intern in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, smart people to work with, good management

Cons

Some projects get cancelled or lose steam

What you see is what you get

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, health benefits blah blah blah.... which can make you lazy enough not to move or grow.
    Definitely awesome company to work for if you are in the right team
    If you are smart enough to figure out the chaos then this is the company for you.

Cons

A lot of them. Some of them are my experiences most of them are what my friends are going through now.
    1) Will make you more lazy if you are in the wrong team
    2) Boss will give you a dumb job some times
    3) Beware of your own team members. You never know who will pull you down.
    4) Things do get done because there is always a crazy push and managers here try to hire more folks than to sharpen the brains already present in the team :) (i hope you get my point)
    5) Some managers here never are so pro for your career growth although during the interview they sing to your tunes.
    6) Coming to your office don't be surprise if you are crammed and HR doesn't even care about the ergonomics no more :).
    7) One more thing if its too hard to believe trust me I have a lot of time in hand and i have been growing crazier. Even some of my so called team mates (very smart PhD's Mit stanford grads) enjoy their lives and act off to show they have work to do in meetings, in reality that would have been completed the assigned task in 2 hrs already.So you get the point.
    8) One more e.g. Say If you want to borrow a pencil for another team typically you go ask for the person whom you know in that team. But here they send out emails which include a big group to let every one know that you are working and it is frustrating.
    9) Currently an example for a good culture turned bad, and hiring a lot of asians directly from India/China (Indian's and chinese) has made it even worse. They don't have any other hobby, i think work is the only hobby or habit and now the company looks like sweat shop . Being an asian i feel very sorry for them. I second this.
    10) Last but not the least:No room to grow :) so experienced folks what so ever you guys are low balled all the time and think twice before that move. Learn more about the team better.
    11) There is a lot of redundancy.
    12) Some of them think Industry=Qualcomm. I am just surprised.
    13) Hires a lot of outstanding PhD's for test engineering (some times its dumb) and they lose their hard gained knowledge.

I always yearned to work for this company, was thrilled when i joined but i got burned out in the first month.So my request to you :can you get that wanting to work for back please. Pay, Benefits alone is not good enough. Promoting your folk at time would help.

Good place to work if you don't mind recycling other people's work

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work environment. Immediate supervisor was terrific.

Cons

Middle management incompetent and flat out has no business being managers. One nearly caused me to burn out from overworking the team (EVERYTHING was an emergency because he wanted it done fast so he could look good).

Work consisted mostly of recycling code from other groups within Qualcomm - mostly in San Diego. No way to innovate! San Diego acts like their excrement smells sweeter than everybody else's and does not provide support or adequate documentation for their stuff.

No appreciation for past work by some senior engineering staff (not even a "thank you" when I left). I was never thanked by one manager even though he got a promotion thanks to my efforts and those of my colleagues.

Fire two mid-level hardware engineering managers who happen to have the same first name. None of the engineering staff likes them - only upper managers. You know who I mean.

7. Quite good and stable

Current Intern - Interim Engineering Intern in Bedminster, NJ
    Current Intern - Interim Engineering Intern in Bedminster, NJ

I have been working at Qualcomm as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

good work environments: free drink and fruit; office is fully equiped and quite large
    colleagues are nice, people like to communicate on work and cooperate well
    working tasks are interesting, combining communication and hardware design

Cons

There are few public traffic to company site. So it would be very inconvenient without a car.
    There is a canteen in the building, but it closes in the afternoon so only lunch and breakfast is available.

8. Very great atmosphere, and resourced they treat employees great.

Current Employee - Asset Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Asset Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Benefits are great they have a lot of perks and incentives.

Cons

A lot of work to be done not easy you have to be very hardworking.

Please open more positions for employees that are interested in working for QualcoMM in the Business and management department.

good

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Overall, a good company to work for. work with some bright and talented people. learn a lot from peers and supervisors

Cons

Work life balance is not very satisfactory. Sometimes feel a little bit boring in the office. Total compensation is ok, but grow slowly

overall, the management is good. They care about people, care about your development. They also made right decision in difficult times

10. Top down culture stifles individual development.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Technology you get to work with.

Cons

Closed culture, top down management style is stifling

Have an open culture and must hire more junior engineers to have better hierarchy

11. good place to work with bright people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Competent and smart people around you. Good place to gain experience from one of the leaders in wireless industry.

Cons

Can get monotonous. It has become a big company with a lot of people in the middle to senior positions. Hence opportunity for promotions and fast growth within the company may be limited.

Innovation within the company may be getting slower. They have to come up with ways to drive this.