Qualcomm

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf

Steve Mollenkopf

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Learn and Grow or you will be miserable

Staff Verification Engineer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing Work Culture and Great Career Opportunities at Qualcomm. For semiconductor industry, I would rate this as the best company to work for, especially if you are ASIC design/verification or hardware engineer. Awesome Benefits, pretty much cover everything. The Engineering talent we have is 2nd to none, but comes with a Caveat, you will have to keep up with the best. Training and Classes of all sorts for learning, or just go and stand in any engineer's office (make an apt tho) and they will spend hours sharing their knowledge. Qualcomm has the best engineers who will help you learn and grow! People here love what they do, and usually if you even have like a 50% interest in what you are doing, you will really enjoy working at Qualcomm. Generous vacation policy and work policy is pretty flexible as long as you get the job done.

ConsFirst couple of years are the toughest and you should be ready to work crazy hours, but once you are up to speed, it gets easier and you can dictate your schedule. Expectations will be high, but with all the help available, you should be fine. If you want to grow you will have to take the initiative as Qualcomm thrives on personal responsibility. If you do not drive your growth, you will not enjoy working here and will be miserable soon enough. Like with any big organization, there is cross-functional politics but usually engineers are spared from most of the carnage. Work hours can get quite out of whack because lot of work is done across sites around the world. Lots of meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring thousands of contractors, why not attract select senior level engineers and develop the Intellectual property. Currently, I see lots of good engineers working as Contractors and then leaving for better opportunities. I understand contractors are needed for payroll flexibility but I feel Qualcomm is now over doing it.

One of the best in the semiconductor industry !

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people and awesome benefits. Salary is good and schedules are pretty flexible as long as you get the work done !

ConsHas been growing quite quickly so some new "big company" issues are expected. Market expectations are increasingly demanding and pressure to perform is propagating down to the employees slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and take it easy !

Satisfying

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than a year

Prosflexible, work -life balance, easy to manage

Constoo many people, can't think of anything

Interim Engineering Intern

Interim Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Some of the smartest folks in the semiconductor industry

- If you want to gets hands dirty with low level work like computer organization, processors, compilers and operating systems and advanced communication protocols like LTE/4G , this is a great place to start.

- Great benefits as interns and as full time employees.

- Learning curve is steep, mentor/manager system per intern , guidance and training is good.

- Company is doing well. Very positive outlook for the next couple of years.

Cons- Large organization and hence has uneven distribution of good work

- Senior engineers tend to do most of the good work and interns complete the housekeeping stuff. Atleast it felt like that way.

- Software division slightly takes a backseat over hardware division. Pay and bonus is higher for design engineers.

- Too much work to kill your work-life balance

Interim Engineering Intern

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern for less than a year

ProsCover all your housing cost. Good pay. Nice mentorship and managerment.A lot of events. You can learn a lot in a big company not only the technique. The intern week can also provide you a great change to meet other interns in different field.

ConsSome of the regional office may be located far from downtown of a small city. If you don't have a car. You may feel a little bit boring when weekends.

Embedded software engineer

Embedded Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at Qualcomm as a contractor for more than a year

ProsVery good mobile wireless full solutions, smart colleagues, good company culture

ConsKeep fast pace to learn new technology, but this is necessary for all IT domain

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than a year

ProsNice perks, awesome work culture

ConsI haven't seen any cons so far.

great place

CPU Verification Engineer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Qualcomm as a contractor for less than a year

Prosgreat place to start your career and the decent salary for entry level employee.

Conspressure on the job and competitive.

Great Place to Work

Senior Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Never short of Challenging work
- Get to work with very smart engineers
- Satisfaction of being a part of the company that is the current industry leader
- Ability to gain experience in all phases of SOC development
- Great benefits package

Cons- Schedule and checks on a spread sheets can sometimes get in the way of quality of work

Great place to work if you like a challenge

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Management is competent and encourages growth in employees and businesses.
- No micro-managing of your time on the job or how you will do it.
- Broad goals are set and you are encouraged to meet them creatively.
- Lots of opportunity to develop new IP, file patents, develop really innovative products.
- Pay is very good and opportunities for advancement are high. Pay adjustments and bonuses are given twice per year.
- Benefits are very good too. 100% family premiums for health, dental, some vision, etc.
- At my site (Raleigh, NC), there's a really great gym in the building.

Cons- There's a lot of pressure to succeed and continually improve (which could be good or bad).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm reviews and ratings in Raleigh-Durham, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Qualcomm employees.