Qualcomm Reviews

Reset
3.6
Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Upper management genuinely wants employees to achieve a healthy work-life balance (though some project leads may not) (in 131 reviews)

• Get to work on cutting edge technology (in 114 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad inter office politics; poor work life balance (in 114 reviews)

• Pay is not great for the long hours they expect of you (in 90 reviews)

2,058 Employee Reviews

A great company needs a little name recognition

Current Employee - HR Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - HR Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

Creativity and enthusiasm of employees. Working at Qualcomm is exciting, and there is always an opportunity to make a contribution. Excellent benefits and workplace activities add a sense of fun to the workplace and employee involvement in company culture is encouraged and strongly supported by management.

Cons

There is still an eight to five vibe within the corporate realm, and there's not as much openness to telecommuting as there could be. Salaries are a little lower than in other companies. Otherwise, there are few downsides.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop Qualcomm's reputation and branding so that stock value is recognized. Since technology, not products, are currently produced, the Qualcomm name isn't as widely known as a company like Microsoft or Apple. Take a tip from Google and Intel and do more advertising or marketing so that the world knows about Qualcomm.

2. Qualcomm, the amazing company everyone should want to work at!

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

I have great people to work with in an amazingly non-corporate corporate atmosphere. Employment includes a tremendous benefits package that's unrivaled by any in the industry. In my job I'm always working with cutting-edge technology that you can't find anywhere else in the world. In short, I love my job.

Cons

Sometimes you'll work long hours, but when you enjoy what you're doing, that's hardly a downside. If for some reason you don't like San Diego, that could be an issue, but there are also smaller offices in Boulder CO, India, Campbell CA, and RTP NC. Qualcomm has been known to play hardball (lots of litigation, good patent portfolio, etc), so if you're a fan of "everyone must play equal" stuff, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple, don't give in to the pressures to become corrupt and inefficient like so many other large corporations are today. Focus on what got you to where you are today, solid (well-treated) employees producing world-class technologies years ahead of the competition.

3. Great company, great benefits, great city.

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good growth prospects and great benefits in a fantastic city.

Cons

Big company means communication takes more effort than smaller companies.

Advice to Management

Don't announce new chips before they've taped out!

5. Great place to work, in a beautiful city

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

The benefits are awesome, the people smart. It's a great company to work for, but I left because I feel more comfortable in a smaller environment.

Cons

It's a big company, and acts like one. Getting something changed can be a real process. Having the company sprinkled all over San Diego can be a drag. We had shuttle buses, but I've been in the position where I hosted a meeting in a building I wasn't familiar with. Felt like a dope when I didn't know my way around!

Advice to Management

I felt too removed from senior management to give any real feedback. I was just a worker bee.

6. Qualcomm and Innovation

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Innovation is the key word at Qualcomm. We are motivated and rewarded heavily for innovation. I learn something new everyday. Qualcomm has a great reward program for new ideas by employees and the right ideas take very little time to get funded and converted to real world projects within Qualcomm. QC also encourages a great work life balance. Numerous clubs inside the campus make sure that one is never short of activities. Team bonding events within groups are common place through out the year. Finally, we get free dinner Mon through Thursday. This is a gourmet three course dinner. Small things like this go a long way in making employees feel great about working in Qualcomm.

Cons

Compensation is fair but could be higher. That is probably the only thing I would change about Qualcomm. Similar positions in other companies get compensated a whole lot more.

Advice to Management

To approach legal issues carefully. The company's external image has taken a beating due to a few legal blunders.

7. Our humble leader, always looking out for the company, it's employees, and their long term success.

Current Employee - Staff Staffing Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Staffing Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

The people. The technology. The excitement. Always so much to learn here and each day is different. There are many support structures here (tools/team/mgmt) and communication flows very well. Qualcomm is a big company, yet moves very quickly in an ever changing/evolving market place. We are very well positioned in multiple areas these days. QCT Chips are selling more than ever and CDMA continues to expand (WCDMA/CDMA2000), MediaFLO (broadcast mobile TV), Firethorn (mobile commerce), QIS (Brew apps, Qchat). QC continues to spend over $1B a year in R&D and we are coming out with many compelling products. From multiple personal devices, to medical, to logistics, etc.

Cons

None that I have come accross in my two years. I have worked for about 10 other companies over the last 10 years (most have been contracts) and I am more impressed with what I see here at QC than at any other place I have worked at. They really take care of their people here and our attrition rate is incredibly low - MUCH lower than industry standard - which says a lot. I am, for the first time in nearly a decade, still excited about my career and QC. I finally found a place in which I want to work for long term and build my career.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach - which most do here. Coach rather than manage.

8. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Staffing Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

Challenges, benefits, culture, technology, industry

Cons

Bureaucratic, training & development, salary compression

Advice to Management

Look at your motivated employees internally before hiring outside the firm

9. Qualcomm - strives for greatness in San Diego.

Current Employee - Staffing Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great group of people to work with, both as peers and in management. Qualcomm seems to treat ALL of their employees with respect no matter their position or title within the company. Surrounded by the BEST engineering minds in the United States, if not the world. Incredible benefits, continued technology education and good work life balance. They also look to employees for constant feedback on how to improve and stay on top of our industry.

Cons

Salaries could be improved upon to help with the high cost of living in San Diego.

Advice to Management

Continue to respect and look to employees for feedback or open discussions on how Qualcomm can stay on top of the list for Best Companies to work for in the United States. Listen to concerns on rising costs of living in San Diego and salaries in retaining employees and attracting top talent to Qualcomm.

10. QCT Leads the Pack

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

Pros

When given the choice between designing the brain or the body, Qualcomm CDMA Technologies, a.k.a. QCT, chose to design the brain. As a result, Qualcomm and QCT design hardware and software for every discipline and standard imaginable; CDMA, WCDMA, BREW, video, audio, displays, etc. QCT is a meritocracy and the system is designed to give equal access to opportunities to both current and potential employees.

Cons

Hard to call it a direct criticism of QCT, but the communication semiconductor business is hyper competitive on an international level and there is relentless market pressure to reduce margins. To make a good ROI you have to be in front of the competition with novel products/services that capture a premium. There is also little brand awareness outside the industry, making semiconductor companies, in general, subject to nearly continual treadmill-like activity that can sometimes seem like a race with out a finish line.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

11. Great Place to Work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

If working for a progressive tech company with fantastic benefits and a laid back work environment that happens to be located in America's Finest City sounds intriguing, then this may be the company for you.

Cons

I feel that management may have lost a little of it's direction and the spirit which drove the incredible growth (despite recent success).

Advice to Management

It would appear that management may be losing the battle that every major corporation faces when growing at such a rapid clip and it is important that they continue to fight to maintain the entreprenurial spirit that built the company.

Showing 2,058 of 2,349 reviews