Qualcomm

3.9 1,255 reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf

Steve Mollenkopf

1,255 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance, stable company, great sense of contribution to the world"
    in 84 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, Great People, Great Challenges - Innovation"
    in 108 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hard to strike a good work/life balance if you want to keep advancing"
    in 74 reviews
  • "I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases"
    in 64 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm

ProsGood benefits, nice working environment, high-end technologies

ConsGot not thing to complain :)

Amazing

Interim Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are amazing to work with

ConsCouldnt answer as I didnt experience any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best place to work for

Great engineering company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat work environment, smart people, excellent benefits. Training opportunities are second to none. If you are an EE then there is no better place to be. Good pay.

ConsIf you are not an EE there are limited growth opportunities (outside traditional corporate functions). Only one exec is not an engineer (again, outside the traditional corporate functions). Lots of arrogant, very smart, but very arrogant people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to kill programs that have no future. Many programs are maintained just to give engineers something to do.

Excellent company to work for and to have a career.

Senior BSA (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm full-time

ProsThey treat their employees with respect, dignity and provide them an environment to succeed. Everyone has their own office with a door. Granted most offices are small, but you have the ability to shut your door and really get some work done and think and perform. It was the most productive environment I have ever been able to work. Medical benefits are awesome

ConsSalaries are low due to the incredible health benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementChange nothing, keep letting people having their own offices with a door. Do not move to a cube or open air work environment. They will ruin your work environment.

Qualcomm was a great place to work

Engineer I (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe company culture is fantastic. It's laid back, but you're still expected to obviously be on top of your game. The people are fantastic, and very helpful in any cooperative tasks one might have to undertake.

ConsWork can get a little daunting at times, and the culture may seem a bit...foreign.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, the management structure was pretty solid, at least from the perspective of someone on the lower cogs.

Qualcomm Internship

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern for less than a year

ProsShared office with another intern, actual office, not a cube. A lot of activities for the interns, during work hours (e.g. speakers from the company, free lunch meeting with the interns...), and during weekends (e.g. free surf lesson, baseball game... etc). Housing is provided, apartment shared with another intern fully furnished.

ConsTransportation is not provide. Interns have to either use public transportation or walk to work. Some interns drive there so they have their cars and usually share the ride.

Great company to work for

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- good pay and perks
- good chances for career advancement

Cons- no work life balance

Learn and Grow or you will be miserable

Staff Verification Engineer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing Work Culture and Great Career Opportunities at Qualcomm. For semiconductor industry, I would rate this as the best company to work for, especially if you are ASIC design/verification or hardware engineer. Awesome Benefits, pretty much cover everything. The Engineering talent we have is 2nd to none, but comes with a Caveat, you will have to keep up with the best. Training and Classes of all sorts for learning, or just go and stand in any engineer's office (make an apt tho) and they will spend hours sharing their knowledge. Qualcomm has the best engineers who will help you learn and grow! People here love what they do, and usually if you even have like a 50% interest in what you are doing, you will really enjoy working at Qualcomm. Generous vacation policy and work policy is pretty flexible as long as you get the job done.

ConsFirst couple of years are the toughest and you should be ready to work crazy hours, but once you are up to speed, it gets easier and you can dictate your schedule. Expectations will be high, but with all the help available, you should be fine. If you want to grow you will have to take the initiative as Qualcomm thrives on personal responsibility. If you do not drive your growth, you will not enjoy working here and will be miserable soon enough. Like with any big organization, there is cross-functional politics but usually engineers are spared from most of the carnage. Work hours can get quite out of whack because lot of work is done across sites around the world. Lots of meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring thousands of contractors, why not attract select senior level engineers and develop the Intellectual property. Currently, I see lots of good engineers working as Contractors and then leaving for better opportunities. I understand contractors are needed for payroll flexibility but I feel Qualcomm is now over doing it.

Great atmosphere and culture

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are great, environment is conducive to an atmosphere of innovation. Lots of different, exciting areas to work in as Qualcomm branches out. Management is generally very flexible, and there are many on site perks.

ConsNot many cons... Perhaps make it less of hassle to contribute to open source projects? But even that is getting better, slowly but surely. The cafeteria on main campus is good, but not great.

Great Internship! Would do again 10/10

IT Intern (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time for less than a year

ProsWorked residential IT prior to the internship, was placed in a technical position and started learning how to support an enterprise. Personally, I had great management support and felt I was placed in the right area.

ConsThere are a lot of meetings with different groups of people. It can be extremely hard to follow someone not in your line of expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT departments are hesitant to make an offer after an internship, unlike other areas.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. All 1,255 reviews posted anonymously by Qualcomm employees.