Qualcomm Reviews

3.6

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, Cutting edge work (if you're lucky enough to be assigned to it) (in 118 reviews)

• Exposure of cutting edge technology, Fast paced environment (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 103 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 82 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work - watch your back

Current Employee - Staff Product Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Cutting edge wireless technology, San Diego!!, Benefits, Challenging

Cons

VERY political environment - lot's of "cliques", but VERY nice people individually. Some old dead wood still around.

Clean house - get rid of incompetent leaders

An engineer's dream company

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Great company...values good people...Engineers have a lot of power...invests a lot in engineers training and development

Cons

It is a big company...you will take time getting to know the whole organization

I think they have done a spectacular job over the years. perhaps the other sites could be better synced with San Diego. Sometimes we get lost in knowing who to contact and for what

Great Company. Not so great pay

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Wireless innovation at its best. Leading company in 3G and will lead the world in 4G. 2 performance reviews per year, so you are at your toes trying to impress all the time.
    Stock incentives are good as is stock growth compared to other large companies.

Cons

Pay not too great. Company growing rapidly and hence losing its startup culture

try retaining the best talent within the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Interim Engineering  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Interim Engineering in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Qualcomm is a great company with many opportunities. The company treats employees well and as an intern I received many perks.

Cons

There was no official training.

More training.

It's a decent company to work for

Former Employee - Interim Engineering  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Interim Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

The company has enthusiastic work culture, with innovation at the heart of the company and wide range of opportunities, it definitely is a good place to start your career and keep grooming yourself in communications technology.

Cons

The cash compensation at Qualcomm is not that lucrative so if you are high on this factor then you may feel let down. However with all the benefits, which should be taken into consideration by an employee, the overall package is decent by industry standards.
    At least Qualcomm had spent a lot on the Interns [ Decent Cash-Compensation + Many paid-activities + (A+)housing + travel allowance + intern-weekends]. I was literally over-whelmed by the treatment. :)

Some of the start-ups acquired by the company haven't still integrated well with the company culture, if that's a right observation to be put in.

Engineers rule the QCOM universe.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Qualcomm has a very strong engineering culture. Engineers get the resources they need with very little fuss. Compared to other places I have worked in engineers here are spoiled. If you are an engineer then this place is great because QCOM is an still very, very much strives to be an industry leader. Engineering also has a good promotion policy that keeps engineers as engineers.

Cons

Being San Diego's biggest employer they do not compete with salaries albeit the benefits compensate somewhat. Another downside is you are expected to work around the clock and waste a lot of time in meetings.

Merge program management with engineering and dismantle the current structure where the two groups are separate.

Big company....small company feel.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Benefits, professional growth. Being part of a visionary tech company. Qualcomm's core value of hiring the best and giving them the tools to do what they do best.

Cons

It is losing the small company, team feeling that made us a great company. Burnout from workload.

Don't lose sight of making your employees feel valuable.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Atheros really cares about their employees

Cons

Some departments seem to get preferential treatment over others

Really look at the work each individual is doing, don't just look at what department that individual is associated with

3 G .......4 G... basically a lot of Geeeez

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Great company. good leadership, great benefits , easy to see why its ranked #8 to work for. Great location. Not being scattered across helps I think. the other locations are independent and functionally different units. Next 5 years look good too for the company as 3G ramps up across the globe. open culture and teamwork and environment for cross-group communication, though it is not excersized by overly focussed engineers. good and bad there. The learning environment is absolutely the best, one day you could learn about LTE and then next you'd get to hear a Stanford Professor speak about finance. If you are semiconductors/radio engineer it is the best place, but in my opinion its the business guys who have the most fun @ qualcomm.

Cons

There's a tendency to not acknowledge what's going on out in the industry especially in areas which are not core competencies as the company tries to expand its horizons. A lot of non chipset specific ideas have already been baked at OEMs such as nokia etc, but sometimes i have noticed that this ignorance has acted as a bliss, because of Qualcomm's partnership and customer delight strengths to counter that disadvantage.
    another downside is that there are bunch of people who are in their early and mid thirties who are directors and above now as they joined in the mid 90's and grew with the company. A lot are Indians, and nothing racist there as I'm one too, but most are too tactical and not at all strategical, some are bloated and in their comfort zone. Most have not worked anywhere else and it shows.

senior leadership is great and admirable. Paul Jacobs has a good handle on people , technology and the industry. He's very approachable too and that sets the tone for the immediate followers. Advice is to keep that going. I see opportunities to slim down middle management in some cases or be known to take a harsh decision , not because of too many levels , but there are a lot of scenarios where I see that people are better than their bosses and that's when start-ups become truly corporate.

Work hard, play hard, great benefits!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Benefits, work recognition, large company.

Cons

Long hours are sometimes required

Keep up the good work!

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!