Qualcomm

3.9
1,839 Reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Great work-life balance if you're on the high-level software teams (in 131 reviews)

• Exposure of cutting edge technology, Fast paced environment (in 114 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 114 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work at!!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

The people here are very knowledgeable and helpful. Have a good work/life balance. Plus boulder as a city is a very beautiful place to stay in. Love working here.

Cons

Too many product lines to support and not much clarity regarding the process.

Please simply the processes.

Ten years later, productivity stifled with excessive management

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are trusted. Most policies encourage innovation and ownership. The work is reasonably good. Above all you can always find smart people working with you. Good place to start your career.

Cons

This is a large company employee wise. Though this is an engineering company, as with any large human enterprise, the people who are true engineers/scientists are a small minority.
    Constant self-promotion, and telling all who listen, how busy you, are is essential.
    Productivity, per engineer, is low, because of the time spent getting 'visibility' with your upper management.

Shed layers of management. Expect more, and prize productivity from engineers. Maybe that will free people to develop new products and services.

gud to work with

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

gud environment nice people gud value to emploies

Cons

i dont find any cons

Gud management

Reasonably good

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Good Benefits. Work is organized

Cons

Not enough development. Wifi team is doing average

Needs a shake-up

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent technology within Qualcomm, good processes, lots of intelligent people. Compensation is good, and there are lots of opportunities to learn and improve your skills.

Cons

There's a treadmill at Qualcomm - cell-phones and other such products need to hit the market on schedule every year - this doesn't leave a lot of room for fixing things that are broken, or that much innovation. As well, the best person to do the job this time is probably the same person that did it last time - its easy to get 'stuck'.

The company talks about diversifying its product orientation at the strategic level - cell phones and tablets are starting to flatten, so where is the market growth? But tactically, they ignore this and keep throwing more resources at the cell-phone centric products rather then real diversification. Even when they do attempt to diversify, there is so much Qualcomm overhead with everything they do (lawyers, export compliance, etc.) that small diversification opportunities simply cannot be successful.

Opportunities are not the same for all

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great job benefits (medical insurance; dental; vision; ESPP; etc...)

Cons

I have been employed by Qualcomm for over 10 years and I have seen my share of politics (just like anywhere). If you are a minority woman your career is most likely not going to go anywhere in this company. There is no work life balance and if you ask for that you will pay a huge price. They overwork people and those of us who barely see our families find that we will probably just get barely any salary increases. Little by little our bonuses and incentives have been reduced to almost nothing.

If one transfers to other positions within the company one can't be promoted or be paid more (this rule of course is only for those of us below the manager level). I have given everything to this company and it has taken me nowhere. I went to school at night for years and worked so incredibly hard for them but as my manager once said "hard work will take you nowhere".

They are hiring more and more people from other countries who are able to work unreasonable hours; those who are not able to do this better get out because they won't be promoted. Accounting employees are treated with no dignity.

Please know your employee's loyalty is a huge asset. Be reasonable and keep an eye on unethical (sometime illegal) treatment of employees not only for liability reasons but also because doing right is the right thing to do.

It was fun while it lasted.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits free of cost.
    Good company to work on cutting edge mobile technology.

Cons

Nepotism and politics that hinders career growths.
    Silos that does not achieve productivity.
    Stress level extremely high due to excessive workload.

Think outside the box to improve productivity.
    Eliminate the unnecessary silos created by some Directors to justify their positions.
    Work on listening to the employee's concerns for work-life balance instead of overworking them for meeting metrics.

staff engineer

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefit, and good name in the industry.

Cons

Some low to middle managers treat engineers with no respect, and demanding. thinking they are the BOSS. Poor managers can make your professional life miserable.

Not the employees issue

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Good facilities and opportunities to learn.

Cons

No loyalty accept to shareholders.

Work Culture

Former Employee - Staff Programmer Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Programmer Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Qualcomm as a company has excellent employee benefits, and offers wonderful work life balance. But it all depends on the team you are working in. As far as IT work culture is considered, people are stale, have old mindset and dirty politics; People find the work for job survival, they don't do the actual work required. If you are not smart enough, you will be played smart by others.

Watch for IT work culture before you join.

Cons

IT group is pathetic...old fashioned mind set...dirty politics...job survival techniques, and obviously you will see old directors imposing rules like a school principle.

Not a best IT work culture anymore.

Change your mindset and respect the technical guys than the show off guys ( Business Analysts ).