Qualcomm Reviews

Reset

1,891 Employee Reviews

1. ASIC Design

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

A lot of good perks such as company picnic events and unlimited use of shuttle after long hours of work time.

Cons

Work can be long hours. Often times feel compelled to walk outside if one could just spend the 15 minutes to try to get there first from the upper floors, but then there's 15 minutes of walking back so might as well stay inside.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth. Stop holding the money bag and promote your loyal employees. Get rid of the lazies that end up delaying others projects on a regular basis.

Not what it used to be - 20+ year employee review

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the beginning this was a fun, exciting, rewarding and fulfilling place to work; there is something to be said about being on the ground floor of innovation. For true creative minds, being involved in the development and production of cutting edge technology is the ultimate "job". For the first half of my life at Q, I didn't consider it a "job", it was a journey. In the later years, it turned into a job. As the company grew, so did management and egos, so did time lines and stress levels.

Qualcomm went from being the leader on the table to a feeling of always being behind the 8-ball. Hard for some of us old timers to adjust to - this is true. Bring in the new, young, fresh blood to pick it up - I get that and see that it should happen. But.... all of the innovation, bright minds, creativity, inventive vibe dissipates with each new wave of fresh blood brought in. HR stopped hiring creative, intelligent souls and hand picked what I now call place holders. Working the numbers game, tightening the reigns or nooses if you care to view it that way. I have no qualms with the HR dept, never once in my 20+ years of working there did I ever speak to an HR rep for any reason. I trusted and worked with my supervisor/manager. But I always had the distinct impression teams like HR were only out for themselves or other agendas. I honestly can not remember the number of managers I had (more than 10) but every single one of them said the same thing - don't involve HR if you don't have to. Telling stuff right there.

Pros - there are good people there, they still have a chance at getting back to being an innovative company, bring in the creative minds who will create the next big thing.

Cons

Management, red tape, deadlines, I have an interesting take on "work-life balance". For a time, I was working in a lab, part of a team helping to create a new technology. We worked 6,sometimes 7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day and I loved it. Why? Because I was part of something fun and cutting edge. Fast forward several years where I was in a sustaining role, working your basic 9-5, 5 days/week. Longest days of my life. Good managers and good HR personnel recognize where and how to place their talent.

Somewhere along the way this went out the window. Did anyone notice how happy I was and how much I excelled in my job when I was basically LIVING at work? Did anyone notice how my reviews flat-lined when I was placed into a functionary role. What are all the metrics about if you don't process and utilize this information?

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees, take a hard fast look at middle and upper management and do some of the "deadwood" clean up at those levels AND don't forget to make a run thru the HR dept. (ahem) What are they doing? HOW are they managing the talent force? Does anyone really know?

3. review

Current Employee - Engineering Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

good place to work at

Cons

technology is not in state of the art

Working at Qualcomm

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big communications company with very good benefits

Cons

Company is not growing anymore and opportunities are difficult to come by,

Once great now a sinking ship

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work on new technologies. San Diego is a great place to live.

Cons

- No work life balance at all. You are expected to work on weekends/late nights.
    - Too much office politics, reviews are biased based on personal relationships
    - Unstable since they are reliant on couple of customers for majority of revenue.
    - Falling stock, layoffs looming.
    - Poor benefits, upcoming health insurance with high deductibles.

Advice to Management

Set an example if times are tough.

7. Good company

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Great environment and learning experience

Cons

Company too focused on few products

Advice to Management

Diversify products

Want to settle down, come here, want adventure never come here

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Easy with time schedules
    Smart people in dev side

Cons

Very slow process
    Not very exciting work these days
    Upper management can be ministers and politicians instead of directors, managers

Advice to Management

Please bring some good directors who understands a developers mind

9. Great company in San Diego area.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company in San Diego area with diversified culture.

Cons

Outlook is not very clear

Once a great place, now discouraging

Current Employee - QCT Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - QCT Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

- a lot to learn for those willing
    - benefits are ok. used to be much better
    - salaries are so so.

Cons

- Health insurance significantly worthened, introducing huge deductibles from 2016
    - new review process disregards accomplishments: bonus/stock grants and salary increases are flattened to the HR tables; no variation based on accomplishments.
    - no opportunities even for the superstars.
    - QCT deadlines unrealistic and squeezed YoY, process beauracracy increase and no resource allocation for timely achievement
    - benefits trend is downwards YoY

Advice to Management

-invest in engineering, allocate resources, not out weekends
    -dont cut employee benefits and pay exec bonuses
    -make firm long term timely decisions
    - dump the new review process which ignores accomplishments and eliminates any variance

Smart young people leaving the company

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good to get ~3 yrs experience before jumping ship to google or any other place

Cons

I see lots of frustration from the sr engineer level to sr dir level. It seems no one is capable of making any decision and everyone is chasing others for approval. There is a lot of confusion around decision making and it feels like the dmv. None of the current leaders have any vision. Infact none of the current leaders have an accomplishment to show around creating a successful new business. They know how to scale one but that is not useful when the core business is under threat. The CEO has probably spoken in coded words to employees after every analyst call. It was hardly inspirational. The corporate research group is a joke and has lost its way. I know a lot of people in the research group either biding their time or wanting to leave.

Advice to Management

Please read this any try and inspire. Else me and others will be jumping ship soon

Showing 1,891 of 2,170 reviews