Qualcomm

3.9
1,742 Reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Great work-life balance if you're on the high-level software teams (in 131 reviews)

• Exposure of cutting edge technology, Fast paced environment (in 114 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 114 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

Weak internship program

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits for an internship, got code-reviewed, which is good for becoming a better programmer. Having a lot of other interns makes for a decent social scene outside of work.

Cons

The company doesn't really care about your intern project, doesn't give you real responsibilities, relatively low interaction with full time engineers who could foster your growth better. The company culture also felt like the majority of people in my office weren't trying to take on significant responsibility nor were proactive about contributing to the company; excitement level is quite low.

Don't recycle intern projects (we know you do), just give small scale projects that you think can actually be used in the long term but are relatively lower impact. Encourage more interaction between interns and mentors.

A thriving organization that treats its employees well, but at the same time it's a very technical, very un-organized, and very dis-jointed tech company.

Current Employee - Senior Staff, Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff, Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits:
    - Health Insurance premiums are fully paid by the company for the employee and their family.
    Great Pay:
    - Competitive Salary and twice a year performance based Raises, Bonuses, and Stock.

Cons

Large company that often operates much like a small start-up.
    Many Small teams that are unaware of what is happening in other small teams.
    Things are not usually well defined. Must go around and get buy-in from multiple sources.
    Often ownership is not very clear.

The matrix'd organization has its benefits, but I see many hours wasted daily because folks do not know the right person to get commitment, help, info from.
    Many long-time employees do know where to go, but I believe clearly document ownership (across products and deliverables) would be very beneficial to the overall organization.

It's good, but could be better

I have been working at Qualcomm as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

A lot to learn at this work place and it is pretty good so far. I would want to come back to learn about it.

Cons

Micromanagement and internal politics damage an fragile work environment. Most people dont trust each other.

Please trust your contract employees enough to not let the good ones go. There are so many dead weights in the company and it's hurting morale a lot.

Great challenges to address, great peers to work with, endless search for innovation in the wireless space

Former Employee - Vice President Corporate Affairs in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Corporate Affairs in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People's spirit and dedication. Fair remuneration and benefits package.

Cons

Conservative management style. No work - life balance.

Retain the best. Stop going for easy solutions.

Glass ceiling for women

Current Employee - Senior Staff Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

Smart co-workers; Good work environment; Great learning opportunities. CEO seems to have a clearer path forward. Solid world class IP. Great roadmap. Good C-suite team.

Cons

Promotions are given for time in the seat. When you are up for promotion, the first thing they want to know is "how long have they been in the position?". So much for merit. This kills motivation and promotes cruising for a few years.

Women seem to get stuck in middle management. I think the old sayig that "people hire those that are like themselves" is in play for the executives. This is also true of the various cultures hired. Each group seems to hire their own culture and even speak in their native language in San Diego. If you go to the cafeteria, it is like the Wild Animal Park where the same "types" of people congregate together, just like at the park where similar type animals congregate together. Nothing wrong with that except that mentality seems to translate to hiring.

If you are from Southern California, you will feel you are in Asia at this company, except for the old timers.

I have no clue what my management's goals are all the way up the chain, CEO excluded. This seriously limits my ability to help them achieve their goals.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Hardware Applications Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Applications Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to explore a lot of things. Best health insurance. Lot of intangible perks and benefits. Working as a HW applications engineer in the Customer Engineering group, there is a good balance between work and life.

Cons

Lot of work to do. You will never have no work to do. I thoroughly enjoy the company

Keep up the good job

Great!

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Qualcomm is a great company to work for !

Cons

No cons, Qualcomm is a great company.

Good place, learn much.

Former Employee - Systems Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A very good place especially if your major is wireless communications under EE/ECE in PhD. You can use what you have learned into practical product in reality.

Cons

Kind of busy in work.

working on cutting-edge technology

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

get to work on latest technology
    good stock bonus (RSU)
    healthy work environment, flexible work hours

Cons

cash bonus not upto the mark
    salary increment is very small
    too many managers

sometimes company`s stunning revenue doesnt correlate well with compensation for highly-rated employees

Qualcomm is a company dedicated to work/life balance

Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The facilities are great, the teams want to innovate, and the company has a family like culture

Cons

the traffic is a nightmare

none