Qualcomm

Steve Mollenkopf

752 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Poisonous Entrenched IT Management

San Diego, CA

ProsBenefits, healthcare, vacation, flexible work hours depending on area of work, stock options (depending on your relationship with the manager), regular raises (also dependent on the manager and personal relationship).

ConsManagement, good ol boys club, lack of professionalism, lots of managers, no leaders, lack of employee empowerment, system actively weeds out the most intelligent and forward thinking professionals, egregious wastes of money due to lack of basic knowledge in managing people or projects. Personally witnessed millions wasted on tools and custom software that is never used. All of these tools and projects were castrated due to personality conflicts or petty politics of who received credit or who was in control. Although this is sometimes the reality in large organizations, QC is particularly unique in my what I have seen over the last 20 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake things up, but that will not happen until QC sees a serious market competitor which will force the company to reevaluate its management practices for the purposes of being more efficient.

Your experience will depend on your group, but their culture of dishonesty let me down.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsInteresting engineering work but understaffed.

ConsAfter 5 years at Qualcomm my experience was mixed. It depends very much on the specifics of your group and management. If you join as an expert in your field you may find yourself working with inexperienced generalists who do not know what they are doing and rely on your expertise but who are then able to take all the glory. This is compounded by racial cliques in some small teams. From my management I got very mixed messages, heaping praise on the one hand then stabbing me in the back when it counted. It sounds nutty but In the end I encountered a pervasive culture of dishonesty from my managers up to and including senior HR that soured me to this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart giving more than lip service to integrity.

Too many kingdoms, lots of politics, no longer a fun place

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSummer on the Lawn
    Beautiful campus
    Good benefits
    Once a great company and fun company to work for

ConsLong hours
    Immature leadership
    Politics rule middle management
    Questionable ethics
    Promotions are not based on performance
    Qualcomm is going after younger hires and does not value experience
    No longer a company that values new ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit your staff, to much corruption and pay to play.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mature process, immature IT management - no integrity

IT Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsQualcomm has a great work-life balance if your manager permits you to take advantage of it.
    The medical benifits provided are great!

ConsNo integrity in IT Management
    No recognition for new employees
    Tasks/Projects/Milestones accomplished are not communicated up the management chain, especially in IT. Instead, the manager will take credit for great work and accomplishments and has at least one level below to blame when things don't go as favorably.
    Very secretive and cowardly promotion and bonus/perk structures.
    Will actively deny or make extremely difficult the ability to transfer internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT Management needs a complete re-haul. Pay the price to get AND KEEP good quality engineers and leaders.

A sweatshop in the USA. Long hours are inevitable. If you have a life at all, let it go before you work here.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsSome discounts around town for employees.

Cons# No work- life balance.

# Most work almost 12 hours everyday. Not the managers maybe, but for a new recruit, that is a minimum for months.

# Salary is very less for the extremely demanding work.

# Terrible work culture.

# Half the work force is Temp employees. That says a lot about how Qualcomm wants to save more and pay the absolute least it can.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the above comments. It's OK to let your employees have a life.

Sr managements put money in their pockets only

San Diego, CA

ProsNothing I can be proud of. If you compare to other great companies high high pay then this place sucks ass. Go other places if you can.

ConsLow pay, low growth, no life

Advice to Senior ManagementSr management go drop dead

good old boys gang, lower level staff mistreated

Staff Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsExcellent benefits, especially if you are Sr. Staff and above(that's right their class system applied to not just salaries and bonuses)

Cons#1 Arrogance runs through this place.
    #2 Outdated IT environment makes it difficult to accomplish tasks
    #3 Seems completely headless when making decisions, nobody is willing to stick their neck out, see #1.
    #4 HR/Recruiting are clueless and offend people for no real reason, see #1.
    #5 Entrenched management is checked out, leaving their "underlings" to do all the work. It's also impossible to advance in this company without having friends at the VP level.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo far gone.

My Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThey do provide great benefits

ConsWhen you have a medical condition that requires consistent accommodations expect it to be challenged. They will fight you until they are able to terminate you.

Qualcomm is rife with politics and backstabbing.

Senior Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThere are alot of smart, hardworking people at Qualcomm, and comraderie and support among coworkers. The pay and the benefits are great.

ConsThe company is very heavy with mid-level managers, many who have been there for years and promoted well beyond their skill level. To compensate, the company hires more skilled employees in below them, making the mid-level managers, who these people ultimately report to, feel threatened. Since they are not about to leave--they could never retain their title level and pay elsewhere--there is no place for the newer, more skilled employees to move up. Managers have absolute control, can get away with horrendous verbal abuse, as can any employee who comes under "special protection" of a manager. Human Reousrces is horrible--they will back up an out of control manager and destroy anyone who complains in order to protect the company from lawsuits. There is constant reorganization to hide problem managers, but the individual problems never get addressed, and continue to recur. Anyone who speaks up about it is punished.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have alot of great, hardworking people at your company. Treat them with respect.

Politics, Politics, Politics

San Diego, CA

ProsQualcomm is a stable company, Benefits are great, Salary is decent

ConsThe company is riddled with politics. If you want a promotion, then you need to sucking up. Your achievements and effort does not count at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all the managers and hire more engineers to do the work

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. All 752 reviews posted anonymously by Qualcomm employees.