Qualcomm Reviews

1. I am an engineer.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Qualcomm provides good benefits and employee training.

Cons

Work at Qualcomm can be tedious and the culture is generally bureaucratic.

2. My Review

Current Employee - Senior Program Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Great place to work. Very nice culture.

Cons

Long hours and demanding. Parking is difficult.

3. Great benefits in return for 50+ hr work weeks.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. Great healthcare paid in full by Qualcomm. They have a free health clinic and great cafeterias.

Cons

They are not doing well as competitors are taking the lead in the industry. They are experiencing major layoffs, which include employees who have been with the company 15+ years.
    Management is also a bit of a joke. Too many top-level leaders without enough worker bees. This results in major ego battles. At times the antics felt more like a high school feud than productive management expected from a leading technology company.

Make sure any new manager takes an HR approved employee management class. I experienced illegal activity for California employment law just because a recently promoted manager did not know the laws. This included health privacy violations, hourly pay violations, and harassment. It was corrected when it was reported to HR, but it never should have happened in the first place.

5. good

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

generally very good compensation and benefit

Cons

workload, location, opportunity for promotion

6. Smart people, encumbered by paperwork

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my team is smart and nice to work with.
    Traffic in Mira Mesa is only a problem for about half an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, and, if you dodge that window, it's a quick commute to the various housing around.

Cons

If you don't like cubicles, well, all future space is looking likely to be cubicles.
    Housing is almost as expensive as San Francisco.
    There is an enormous amount of paperwork surrounding checking in changes.
    There are just enough people who make just enough noise and don't seem to understand stuff that one can be left with the feeling of working with idiots even when almost everyone is nice to deal with.
    Qualcomm is currently trying to reduce staffing costs, so you're pretty much stuck wherever you are.

The managed product line paperwork is absolutely morale-destroying. It needs work to be less frustrating to deal with.

7. Great experience

Former Employee - VP Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - VP Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A big company with big financial possibilities

Cons

Too many people working on same project

Focus more on Europe

Not the same company

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

There are lots of very smart people. They provide very good benefits and are a good community citizen (for now). If you're on the right project (especially if it's a manager's pet project), work is great and you'll get the opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Unless you're on the right projects, there's no career advancement. Too many managers have reached their "Peter Principle" levels and are afraid of taking risks or mistakes.

Get rid of most of your middle management that is blocking innovation and are afraid of making mistakes. You've let go of many innovative engineers, being part of ImpaQt appears to be a kiss of death.

9. Flexible but stressful schedule

Current Employee - Engineer, Senior in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer, Senior in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of opportunities within the organization and really flexible day-to-day schedule

Cons

Too many managers trying to manage fewer projects, making the project look overly complex than it really is. This calls for a lot of wasted engineering effort that is catered towards the needs of each and every manager within the project

Reduce the number of managers and streamline the process.

10. Solid chances to progress. Supportive bosses and great teams.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will be surrounded by people who are absolutely brilliant. Your bosses and tech leads care very much about your success as an individual. I never felt any animosity towards my colleagues and always felt like upper management really cared about me.

Cons

Crunch time in the labs is an absolute killer. I did four 100+ hour weeks in a row to get a product out to launch in my last year and it destroyed me. I never felt as smart as my peers. They never talked down to me, but I always felt less educated and less capable.

Qualcomm was opposite to what I'd expected while joining two years ago...

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

As a big company,

Good benefits and perks if you live in SD,

Good learning programs and education assistance programs.

Cons

I worked at Qualcomm Atheros from 2013 to 2015

There is lots of office politics as they've hired so many extra engineers, project managers and there's matrix system where everybody has two managers- direct and indirect. You work mostly with the direct manager but the indirect manager rates you every six months. Which in my case didn't work well as my direct manager wasn't aware of my full responsibilities. People who play politics and do most bootlicking seen to get promoted.

Worked on two wireless connectivity chips. Both got cancelled after tape out and marketing takes irresponsible decisions for product roadmap.

Salary is below the market range and the HR was rude to not even negotiate the salary while joining. 80-90% are Indians and Asians on visa. Many Indians are brought every year on business visa for up to six months in a year and exploited. They are paid about $25 in daily allowance for meals where as a local employee get that amount for one meal on travel.

There is no work culture due to demographics as well. People just come to work and hang out in groups for coffee etc. No social experience and many are too reserved to talk.

No real talented people except design engineers. Test engineers are below par and just having a MS degree doesn't mean you're employable.

Don't transfer internally to another group. They will make your life hell. Better find job somewhere else.

Senior managers are there just because they've been there for so long and don't seem knowledgeable.

Do something about the work culture and stop exploiting Indians on business visa.

Next time you do "fat trimming" make sure to cut the real fat. Nobody has faith in the company after recent layoffs. Everyone is talking about finding another job.