Quality Importers Trading Company

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
1.0

Michael Giordano

You Don't Want To Work Here!

Current Employee - Sales Representative/Customer Service Representative in Weston, FL

I have been working at Quality Importers Trading Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro that I can think of is that the Office Manager is Wonderful. She is a positive person who is skilled at managing people, and truly cares about her employees.

Cons

I read the reviews beforehand, and thought that with my positive attitude I could turn this place around and do some good. So, I decided to give it a try. The owner and president is very condescending, and has gotten to where he is out of pure luck. He was at the right place at the right time, and borrowed money and took a chance at something. If you are a robot and you are afraid to speak up to him then you will do fine, and you might make it past your 90 days. If you are a positive person who thinks that they can go in and make a difference, and help the company grow, then you will be used up and spit out. He will ask you for your opinion during meetings, and if you aren't afraid to speak up and you offer your opinion as to how we could make things better, he will fire you shortly thereafter. You will be given more tasks than you could possibly complete, and a higher sales goal than you could ever reach. He operates at a high level of anxiety, and passes it on to others who work for him. I truly believe that he keeps all these robots around so that he will have some one to blame when his company does not grow or succeed.

The company culture is very depressing. You have people who are afraid to speak up and offer suggestions because when they do they are fired or shot down. It would be useful for the president to take some classes in how to talk to people. There are more tasks to be done than there is time enough to complete them. The amount of emails are out of control. It would be better if the CSR's had equal access to all leads. It is unfair to hold all employees to the same sales goals when they aren't equal in how many clients that are made available to them.

Avoid this company

I worked at Quality Importers Trading Company full-time

Pros

Over the course of my time with this company, there were some really great employees who tried to be successful in their roles at the company... My co-workers (outside of Management and Ownership) that I worked with were the ONLY good thing about this company.

Cons

This place is a nightmare. The turnover rate is higher than a fast food restaurant. Aside from the owner, his wife and her dad, there is only 1 or 2 people who have been there for a full year...

Employees spend every day walking on eggshells, waiting for the owner to go on one of his regular rampages and threatening their positions and incomes.

Do what you keep threatening to do. Shut down the business and go back to running it out of your home with your core clients and no additional costs. You keep hiring great people, dragging them through the mud, wearing them out and then pushing them out (you very rarely fire anyone because you fight unemployment for anyone who applies for it).

You spent a ton of time and effort developing "core values" for the company and forcing your team to memorize them... But not a single employee takes them seriously because they're just words - your actions do not match the message.

Avoid this company

I worked at Quality Importers Trading Company

Pros

Except for a couple of exceptions, all co-workers are real team players, always willing to help. The offices are very nice. Casual dress code helps employees save money.

Cons

All employees are overworked, overwhelmed and stressed out at all times. They're hardly ever valued or appreciated. Their efforts mostly go unrecognized, but when any mistake is made, management is very prompt to point it out. Sadly, they seem to think shaming is an effective technique to correct or prevent mistakes. Micromanaging is a huge problem, too. Employees are not empowered to make any decisions whatsoever. Every single decision must be approved by the owner. Very toxic environment where employees are treated as pieces of furniture or equipment. Top management is constantly emphasizing the need for better communication. Unfortunately, it is a one-way street since they hardly communicate anything to the employees and in the rare cases they do is almost always at the last minute. There's a widespread culture of fear and employees must walk on egg shells everyday. As a result of all these and many other factors, the turnover rate is insanely off the charts.

It is said that insanity is doing the same thing again and again while expecting different results. If you would like to attract and retain great talent so your company can advance to the next level, you must stop your denial and accept that your poor management style is what's holding you back. Then, set out to become leaders who inspire employees to give the best of them while feeling you've got their backs even when they're not perfect.

Poor Employee Relations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, FL

I worked at Quality Importers Trading Company full-time

Pros

Small office and warehouse; nice staff; casual dress code

Cons

No overtime pay for hourly workers especially when it's DEMANDED that they work overtime; management treats employees like they own them and are rude and disrespectful; management don't approve time off if they don't like you or make you reschedule even if there's no business conflict; no sick days; nit pick at employee mistakes so they don't have to provide raises when they do performance reviews; no training AT ALL. EXPENSIVE HEALTH INSURANCE THAT NO ONE CAN AFFORD. ONLY THE OWNER, HIS WIFE AND HIS TWO FRIENDS HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE.

Your employees are working and providing you with service. In return, you pay them. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. They're not there because they have nowhere else to go, allowing you to treat them like dirt. We're not your property and we're not slaves. Treat people with respect and don't treat them so badly!