Quality Inn & Suites

Updated November 28, 2014
3.2

CEO
1 Rating

If you want to survive, don't work here !!

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Gibsonia, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Gibsonia, PA

I worked at Quality Inn & Suites part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Night shift is the easiest. Doing the audit is a breeze. The only pro is that when you do have down time, you can read. Great if you go to school.

Cons

Poor training. Wages are a joke ! No benefits. No sick days. No vacation days. No overtime. No holiday pay. No personal days. No insurance or any other kind of benefits.
    Customers very rude and you have to smile and take it, or flat out lie to them.
    Trained to rip off customers. Lazy employees. Toxic environment.

Don't micro-manage your employees. Quit teaching everyone how to lie just to make an extra dollar. No disciplining of employees. If you complain, your the problem. Don't even think of offering advise. Manager thinks he knows everything and is hardly ever there to handle a problem.

Don't waste your time or talent at this place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Quality Inn & Suites full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hotel staff Awesome! They are always willing to help guests with their needs.

Cons

Very poor management. No benefits, raises or incentive programs.

Appreciate your employees and give credit where credit is due. Lead by example, be positive and respectful of all the staff you have employed. It wouldn't hurt to say "good job" or "we really appreciate all you do for the company" this can help build the morale of the employees. Maybe you could give a raise every once in awhile other then the usual cost of living raise showing the staff that they are an asset to the Company.

listening

I have been working at Quality Inn & Suites

Pros

The pay is great. better then any other hotel.

Cons

Runned down and needs renovations.

Actually care about your employees. Listen to what they have to say.

Be Cautious

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Quality Inn & Suites part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jobs and environment are active.

Cons

Employees in all areas lack needed communication. All employees act entitled yet none are willing to compromise or adjust. Management listens very little to employee needs or concerns and refuse discussion when confronted. Dishonesty is a major issue as well.

Open up to all of your employees not just a few. Listen to the people who control the success of your business. If they are not happy, then eventually you will pay for it in profit.

Not enough money for the amount of work.

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Quality Inn & Suites full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy pace job, and commission for sales.

Cons

Too much to do for not as much pay.

Poorly managed, promises not kept, condescending communication, no reward for any effort.

Former Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk in Oakdale, PA
    Former Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk in Oakdale, PA

I worked at Quality Inn & Suites part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are conscientious and have a good work ethic.

Cons

Not enough staff, scheduling is grueling, management approaches employees in a condescending manor, individual effort not recognized, not enough pay. Medical benefits eliminated without increased compensation otherwise. Call themselves a green company yet no recycling effort in place; use of Styrofoam plates and bowls and plastic utensils and cups, none of which are recyclable.

Management consists of a mother and a son, neither one lead by example. Inferences of more money with no action to make that happen. Last minute performances by both to remedy problematic situations such as not enough staff. Staff is scheduled six to 10 and 12 days straight or given "turn around" shifts which means a person is scheduled to work 15 hours in a 24 hour period of time. I cannot say one good thing about having worked at this establishment.

I worked at a privately owned Quality Inn franchise that was formally a Holiday Inn franchise.

Former Employee - Worked In Several Positions Including Night Auditor in Richmond, IN

I worked at Quality Inn & Suites full-time

Pros

-Discounts on hotel rooms, both in town and while traveling.
    -Quick advancement if you're willing to work and show up promptly.

Cons

-Upper management wasn't qualified and would pass complaints off to middle management.
    -Employees with the were very unreliable with the exception of a few shining stars.
    -Building was badly in need of repair.

-Take responsibility
    -Don't be afraid to manage and make decision that some employees may not like; you don't have to be everyone's friend.
    -Spend the money to improve the property.

A place for a new GM to get their feet wet

Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Quality Inn & Suites full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience has less to do with Choice and more to do with the personal ownership. Quality Inn is a big franchise brand so we do not have a lot of contact with the head company. The best thing I can say as a new GM, is you really get the tough experiences right out the gate here. This will prepare me for the future when I move up in my career. I will have already experienced the worst case scenarios. As far as Choice is considered the best thing I can say is that they really go above and way beyond on training. They make their view points very clear from the start. Good work environment with co workers.

Cons

Limited management. There is only 1 manager for the entire property. No one fully manages sales, housekeeping, maintenance, front desk etc. Work life balance is non existent for management. Its 98% work 2% home. 60 hours a week minimum. Zero maintaining of the property over the years which tells me they have low standards, bad/old equipment that no one wants to properly repair or replace. Employee pay is probably lowest in the city as far as hotels go. Limited raise potential, limited career growth potential, high stress, no paid or sick leave, no benefits, no holiday pay, no over time pay, no punishments for misbehaving/poor performing staff to prevent unemployment pay.

To Owners: Happy employees = happy guests = more money = happy owners. Spend the money to fix the problems correctly, give management the control to punish or reward staff, properly staff the hotel, don't let your friends/family stay for free, respect your managers private time (don't call me at 10pm to ask about a free room).

Lack of respect for employees

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Ellensburg, WA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Ellensburg, WA

I have been working at Quality Inn & Suites part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are awesome! If it weren't for them I wouldn't have stayed here so long. I like that I have the ability to use the hotel and it's amenities for a lowered price.

Cons

I am NOT appreciated for all that I do. I have a college degree and am getting paid minimum wage to work the front desk. There are no benefits offered, nor are there very many opportunities for advancement, nor is there holiday pay offered. My boss is a complete a**hole and just orders me around without understanding the difficulties of my job position. People always report when they've had a bad experience at the hotel, but never when they have a good one. Since I am at the front desk, I am usually the one receiving most complaints. I am also the one that answers the phones, makes reservations, cleans the lobby and bathrooms, assists guests for their EVERY SINGLE need (I've even had to babysit for a guest once while maintaining my front desk duties), and manages a very complex computer system. I am constantly on my feet and working long hours. I didn't go to college so I would have to work this hard and have so little to show for it!

Give your employees some more credit! Give them the ability to advance, and perhaps some incentive to work harder! If I had a hope that there would be a payoff for all my hard work, I would work harder and be happy doing it. As things are, I'm miserable, I hate my job, and work FAR too hard.

Depends largely on your location

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Quality Inn & Suites part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Few employees, so it creates a family atmosphere. It's easy to talk to management about concerns and hours.

Cons

Not the nicest hotel in the world, so there are a lot of complaints from guests. Hours fluctuate a LOT so pay is inconsistent. There is no 'training program' aside from Choice University, which is honestly a joke.

There needs to be a training curriculum that covers everything. Most learning doesn't happen until you've already made a mistake and have to fix it.