Qualtrics

Updated December 19, 2014
4.2

Qualtrics CEO Ryan Smith
Ryan Smith

Pros
  • Free food and clothes throughout the year was a plus (in 15 reviews)

• Work environment is very nice (free gym, food, lunch on Tuesday, Friday breakfast) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For sales you have a low starting salary (in 4 reviews)

• Occasional growing pains of a billion dollar start up (good problems to have) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great exciting company with lots of potential

Current Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working here. The other engineers are great to work with. The pay is better than any other offer in Utah county. They are a fast growing company with still TONS of potential to continue to grow. They are very transparent in almost everything they do. They have great perks - free food/soda, Sundance corporate passes, company parties every couple months, swag gifts. At the same time, it's not a walk in the park - they expect a lot from you.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything.

Astounding Company

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great CEO, great coworkers, and a great atmosphere. I haven't been with the company long but it has been absolutely amazing so far. Everyone is laid back, and while you are still expected to perform, they don't over manage you at all. So glad I took this job.

Cons

Glassdoors requires five words for cons.

Too much hype

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Qualtrics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    nice office
    Awesome Christmas party
    As a company Qualtrics is relatively metrics driven
    Lots of free food.

Cons

I personally heard one of higher ups boasting to a friend about how little they paid us while walking past my cubical. I realize all companies want to pay people less, but that is a very disheartening thing to hear from your employer.

Don't be sucked it by all the glitz and shiny toys. Sure it sounds like a lot of fun to have a massage chairs, pool table, a gym, etc. at work. but if you are seen using any of these things during business hours (7:00am to 6:00pm) you will never get a promotion and if you are not hitting your quota you may get fired.

While personally I thin some one playing pool during lunch who has not met their quota yet is sort of asking for it, I also think it is dishonest for a company to give you these nice things at work and then get mad when you use them.

When interviewing they will tell you that you will make it big at Qualtrics, But the truth is the pay is crappy for every one who is not an engineer and they expect you to put in long hours.

You will need to work 60+ hours a week if you ever want a promotion. Even if it only take you 40 to hit your quota.

Don't show off or boast about your wealth.

Work life balance is more important for the health of your employees than having a "fun" office.

Challenging growth environment

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Qualtrics is growing rapidly. This creates great and challenging opportunities. That's not for everyone, but if you want to grow your career fast this is a great place. The team is a great mixture of talented new graduates and more experienced engineers. Personally, I had doubts about working in Utah Valley due to Mormon/LDS fears. However, in reality this is a great work-environment, and the focus is on Qualtrics, not peoples' religious or other affiliations. As a team every one is happy participate in Engineering ski and mountain biking days, and grab a beer (or root beer for some) afterwards.

Cons

If you behave like a prima-ballerina, you won't fit in. There is a strong sense of team work and collaboration.

Keep increasing diversity of hiring. We want the best engineers.

Hyper-growth company with a good culture

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture. Very fast paced. Lots of driven and motivated young professionals. Most of the leadership team has come from companies who experienced hyper-growth (amazon, google, ptc). Great office with walking treadmill workstations, kitchens with free food on every floor, in house gym, dog friendly, AMAZING views of the mountains and close to outdoor activities. Really interesting and challenging projects and problems to solve. Great benefits - medical premiums are fully covered, stock options, and regular bonus'. Utah is gorgeous (I relocated here for Qualtrics). Not being Mormon I had some worries moving to Utah given the stereotypes but I have had no issues. Nobody has tried to convert me, I don't have six wives, and Utah has some of the best breweries.

Cons

No 401(k) match. Hiring so many new people its sometimes tough to know who you need to go to - so everybody goes to the dept head and bogs up their calendar. Location can be a detractor for top/experienced level talent so most hires are right out of college creating a gap between entry and execs.

Find a way to create a middle management layer while still staying relatively flat. Execs tend to have too much on their plate and spend too much time in the weeds.

Career launching startup!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot to consider when you are thinking about joining a new company. New jobs can cause a lot of stress, and there are high consequences if you make the wrong decision. Here are the questions / answers that went through my mind when joining Qualtrics:

1. Will I be challenged / work on hard problems?

Qualtrics has no shortage of hard problems. From distributed data collection to advanced analytics and data visualizations, Qualtrics has enough challenging problems to entertain most engineers. These challenges combined with Qualtrics' amazing growth present numerous career opportunities.

2. Will I learn / be mentored by other smart engineers and leaders?

This was a serious question of mine, and one of the main reasons I left my previous job. We are all capable of learning on our own, but when we are surrounded by top talent we will learn much faster! Qualtrics engineers are smart, and leadership is top notch (Amazon, Google, etc). It is rare to find a company where access to this level of experience is so abundant.

3. Will I be compensated fairly?

Of course this goes through everyone's mind. Qualtrics definitely pays competitively and is actually the most transparent company I have experienced with regards to the promotion process and pay increases.

4. Will I fit in with the company culture?

This is a personal question, but if you are wondering, come check it out. Qualtrics is very much a startup culture with a bunch of smart creative people eager to make their customers happy. In addition, it is family friendly, and people frequently have lunch in the office with their spouses / kids. Utah in general has a strong LDS culture; however, as a someone who is not LDS, I can verify that there are plenty of people who will be interested in grabbing a beer with you after work ;)

5. Will I enjoy where I am living?

This was an easy question for me. I personally can't imagine a better place to live. Utah has quick access to world class skiing, biking, and other incredible outdoor activities. Pair that with a relatively low cost of living and family friendly environment, and what more could you want? (Maybe a few pubs? Yes, Utah has those too!)

Cons

1. Hard to keep up with growth / expectations

Qualtrics, like any startup, has to run fast to stay ahead of competition and continue growing. At times this creates a lot of pressure on engineering to deliver customer facing value. This can be hard to do when also having the goal and responsibility of maintaining a healthy level of technical debt.

2. Commute for people from SLC or PC is ~60 minutes each way

It seems that most people moving to Utah tend to settle in Salt Lake or Park City. These are great areas, but they are also ~60 minutes from the office. Qualtrics helps by providing free transportation from both locations; however, a long commute is always hard.

3. Lacking in flexible work arrangements

Although Qualtrics has many perks, they are lacking in flexible work arrangements. With so many tech companies competing for engineers, Qualtrics may have an easier time attracting top talent by offering a more flexible work schedule.

Hive Mentality

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Qualtrics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Qualtrics has an awesome office in a beautiful location, challenging problems, smart people, free food, and a family friendly atmosphere. Management is pretty solid overall. Not quite "Google like" as another reviewer claimed, more like cheap imitation.

Cons

Has a very heavy LDS influence which is pervasive everywhere you look. If you are a part of the LDS culture then it's probably a great place to be, look no further then the other reviews on this site. I would say overall the culture reminds me a lot of high school : Qualtrics hosts regular pep rallies every Thursday morning and they separate sales (jocks) from the engineers (nerds). It was pretty obvious that dissension is not tolerated, but most employees had no problem just falling right in line with what their superiors say(LDS thing?). I would be fairly suspicious of some of these reviews as they look like something their HR department put together, which is absolutely something Qualtrics would ask their HR employees to do. Management biases also play a large role in who gets promoted within the company as well.

Expand outside of Provo and try to hire people not from BYU to foster a more diverse workforce. Beyond that just keep kicking butt - you guys have an impressive sales team.

Better Than I Thought It Would Be

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people from the bottom up are fantastic to work with. Qualtrics has done a great job of hiring top-tier talent, so you know the common denominator is someone who is intelligent, has drive, and who is willing to lend a hand to those around them who need training or help.

Cons

They can't yet compete with the remunerations of more developed B2B companies like Adobe. However, with the new infusion of cash, I'm hoping for a compensation overhaul for most sales people.

Do intimate round tables with the new hires to get invaluable feedback.

Great Company

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Start Up Company.- a lot of opportunities everything is new and possible. Hard workers only. If your are not looking for a challenge please don't apply.

Cons

Start Up Company.- you have to do differents rolls. Everything is changing and adjusting. There is no written rules. You ask for cons? Well I have none.

Keep the good work and the open mind!

(SALES) Most challenging experience to date - but most rewarding

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Great products to sell/support
    2) Awesome internal trainings to continue to improve individually
    3) Automatic promotions based on hitting identified goals (management is looking for internal leaders because the rate of growth is fast)

Cons

1) Sales expects a lot right out of the gates - nothing is handed to you and management wants you to prove yourself
    2) You need to learn a lot fast (if you're uncomfortable with that - might not be the place for you)

As the company grows, continue to make sure you understand how everyone feels about their job. Doing so will allow a higher percentage of employees to catch the vision quicker.