Qualys

Add Photos

Qualys Chairman and CEO Philippe Courtot

Philippe Courtot

Decent experience so far

I have been working at Qualys

Pros- some genuinely good people here who help you grow
- consistent work flow
- one of the most recognized names in the space
- quarterly outtings

Cons- no 401k matching
- no set product training
- learning as you go type of environment for newcomers

Best and Brightest IT Security Company

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualys full-time for more than a year

ProsQualys is the industry thought leadership when it comes to Continuous Security
The team here is passionate about constant evolution and change
A culture of collaboration
Continuously innovating and looking for people to bring something new to the table
They are not afraid to fail.
A strong commitment to employee training
Craves honest feedback from employees
Customer focused which helps build on existing relationships
Qualys helps foster a work-life balance/fitness

ConsNo ESSP
No 401K matching
No telecommuting
No "bring your kids to work day"

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to inspire, speak and listen to your employees. In turn they will give their personal best by thanking, developing, caring, and coming together as a unified team.

Great place to work if you enjoy being challenged

Sales (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Qualys full-time for less than a year

ProsChallenging work, great people, incredible benefits, rewarding opportunity, excellent work-life balance and a lot of new responsibility. Amazing technology, and best security company out there. Growth is phenomenal from a company perspective.

ConsEnvironment/culture is not always supportive. There are remnants of a fear driven culture that is now evolving towards a more encouraging one, but there is still a lingering sense of that former culture. Formal training was non-existent until recently. Getting better, but needs to be much more focus on product and market knowledge and formal on-boarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it apparent that the culture is shifting towards one of support and encouragement. No need to sugar coat, but increase the positive and constructive feedback and eliminate any traces of the past fear-based culture. This will go a long way. Embrace the success the company is seeing by celebrating wins on all levels. Do more to bring the company together from a business and work perspective. Inter-office and inter-department collaboration is not encouraged or supported (nor discouraged) and the company could benefit from some collaboration and communication between teams.

Demanding but fulfilling

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat brand, fast software release cycles, great engineering teams, international presence, amazing product, hard-working colleagues, demanding no-bullshit environment. Qualys offers challenging roles where you can make a difference if you're prepared to work hard. This company is the industry leader and the CEO is brilliant.

ConsLack of clear growth path, management turnover, "sink or swim" mentality, below-average compensation, infrequent employee functions, no 401K match, work from home is allowed but generally frowned-upon, hardly any career coaching.

Culture for sales is tough, but hopefully getting better

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualys full-time

ProsThe product is innovative and customers are happy with it, very high renewal rate. New management is helping improve culture. New COO and new VP's are actual sales people, so maybe in 1-3 years might be decent place to work. Work life balance if promoted (and appreciated).

ConsSales is redheaded stepchild. CEO said does not want to pay sales people high salaries and new comp structure supports that fact (no inclusion in company bonus and a pay decrease rather than an increase). Biggest problem is CRM system is the ABSOLUTE WORST - it literally takes between 20-30 seconds to do every normal activity (like "save" or "enter new call notes") - I spend roughly 1.5 hours a day in total waiting for the system to respond.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the CRM and change the comp plan. Get input from sales/support on product development as they are the people closest to customers (techies/engineers tend to develop products that are harder to use than they ought to be).

Current Employee

Finance (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe best thing about working here is that, outside of Qualys being a great company (growth, profitability, cutting edge tech), your efforts impact the results. You have the ability, regardless of position or department, to effect the company.

ConsIf you are used to a big company environment, this is not for you. Forget about politics and worrying about climbing the ladder, contribution is what matters here.

Best security company out there!

I have been working at Qualys full-time

ProsLot of room for growth within the company.
Company has been expanding from 280 to over 400 employees in a year and a half.
Stock doubled since Qualys went public a year and a half ago
Awesome Healthcare benefits
Qualys is a meritocracy! The more you do and get involved, the more you are being rewarded
Friendly and smart employees
Amazing product and engineering/support team
Resources are always available

ConsQualys does not offer 401k matching
Compensation is average

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a stronger culture

Demanding, yet Fulfilling

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualys full-time

ProsGreat place to work. People here are very smart, and care about the success of the company. Qualys is doing very well against its competition and has established a strong footprint in the security industry. People are very friendly, helpful, and care about one another's success.

ConsThis job can be very demanding for new people as there isn't a set training program. A lot of learning this company and industry is to just jump in and get your feet wet. If you need to be directed into finding ways to be successful, you will sink.

Advice to Senior ManagementA training program would make for more efficient learning. Otherwise I'm very excited to be part of this growing company.

Laughable Engineering and Operations

Sr. Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualys full-time for more than a year

ProsYou really don't have to work hard at Qualys. If you fight hard for a good salary upfront, it pays well, but don't expect that salary to go up much during your tenure there.

ConsThere is no planing or leadership in engineering. Everything is built on old technology and there are no plans to pay off accumulated technical debt. Everyone kind of just does whatever and then everything is on fire constantly. Operations doesn't actually monitor how things are running and things are constantly breaking or broken (without anyone knowing). Code is deployed by hand (no automation) and processes are a joke.

Outside of engineering, there is no 401K matching, stock options are crappy, and there are no career paths defined for anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some smart engineers are Qualys, but management doesn't have a clue how to utilize them or keep them around. Make some plans, road maps, or whatever and stick to them.

Great technology coupled with terrible culture.

I have been working at Qualys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat technology and leader in market segment. Compensation is typical for industry, but appears to level out after a few years. Many of the individual contributors are solid hard-working individuals committed to excellence.

ConsThis is not a team based culture. Senior "leaders" are not leaders. They are liked-minded self serving drones who blindly follow the orders of the CEO. Follow his rules or find another job. Senior managers are disconnected from most daily interactions which results in poor decisions.

Verbal abuse is common place and directed at individuals who offer alternative strategies and ideas. This is particularly evident within the sales organization.

Training is developed and led by headquarters personnel with little knowledge of customer needs and requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new leaders with fresh ideas who listen to the team.

Develop a training program to help people without verbal abuse.

Worked for Qualys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Qualys CEO Philippe Courtot. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Qualys employees.