Qualys

Be The First To
Add Photos

Qualys Chairman and CEO Philippe Courtot

Philippe Courtot

Pros
  • Qualys helps foster a work-life balance/fitness(in 6 reviews)

• Great technology and leader in market segment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Qualys does not offer 401k matching(in 10 reviews)

• No 401k Matching (Unless your an engineer(in 9 reviews)

Collaborative Workforce

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe focus on customer success is shared across product management, development and QA.

ConsCEO tends to rant a right-wing agenda at company functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to business and leave your political opinions at home.

Joined with high expectations, left disappointed.

ProsStrong customer base.
    * VM solution: is good – could use some updating to the interface, better integrations with 3rd party solutions
    * Policy compliance Solution: good solution
    * Web App Security Solution: is ok , needs some work to catch up to others vendors in the market.
    Good healthcare benefits

ConsIn my option, the biggest challenge one will face when joining this company is the culture instilled by the CEO. The culture is one of fear and negativity.

Philippe is very smart but also very set in his ways. Most conversations you will have with him will likely be in a demeaning monotone manner and his temperament always seems is a bit rude and ungrateful. But what I was most surprised around was in his manner when speaking about customers and employees. He would offer refer to customers (in open public/email) as bureaucrats or dim-witted and employee’s as Idiots & stupid.

Another thing that I notice right away is that the turnover rate is extremely high despite what you may be told, specifically in sales & product management. People come and go like a revolving door at this company.

My advice for anyone looking to join Qualys would be to connect with as many current and former employees via LinkedIn, etc and see if you can get their input and experience about working at Qualys before you decide to join. Way too many other good SaaS companies in the Valley to work for (SalesForce, ServiceNow, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are going to loose more and more valuable employees unless some major changes to the culture occur. If the employees don't enjoy what they do and work in the environment that is currently in place, they will continue to leave.

STAY AWAY BY ALL MEANS!!

Sales (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood benefits, location and best security solution for companies of all sizes.

ConsFIrst off, there are way too many cons to list here. I mention a few on here as a list and they are in no particular order

Note: Do not believe in the good reviews. Sales management has asked it's employees to write a good review in order to make the company reputable but all is a JOKE

-NO 401K for employees
    -NO commuter benefits
    -PAY IS BELOW MARKET
    -AS OF Q1 OF 2014, our CEO decides to lower our accelerators payout and pay our accelerators at the end of the year..WTF??!!
    -CEO Is a coward who cares little about his employees (only a selected few)
    -There is no communication between management and employees...zero!!
    -No guidelines for promotion
    -There is no morale and synergy..ZERO!!!
    -HIGH TURNOVER IN SALES!! BE AWARE!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPhilippe (CEO) needs to sell the company or get rid of all of sales management and start fresh (a clean slate is necessary).

Invest your time in employees as a team and provide training to all your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place is a terrible place to work

Sales (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

Pros-Easy to sell the solution.
    - Lots of inbound leads.

Cons-The two sales managers run the sales organization like an internment camp.
    -No 401k Matching (Unless your an engineer.)
    -They pay below industry standards for all of the sales positions.
    -Do not even bother taking vacations. If you fall behind you will never hear the end of it.
    -No synergy at all within the sales organization. ZERO!
    -NO TRAINING AT ALL. (If you dont already know security I would look elsewhere)
    -No one works together to make the issues better it just constantly gets pushed to the side.
    -Each division within the sales organization is on a different page and no one is working together always against one another.
    -YEARLY quotas for SME team!!!!
    -Qualys has lowered accelerators and raised the quotas numerous times since I have been here.
    -If you work in Sales your second rate and do not matter to Qualys.
    -The break room has appliances that saw Y2K come and go to give you a little insight as to how sales is valued.

A toxic environment

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsGood benefits. Trail near office is nice for taking breaks to walk on.

ConsQualys has an environment that is driven from the CEO down, and is full of sexism, racism, and a complete lack of ethics. Managers are chosen for their personal relationships or nationalities. Management is a joke here, nobody knows what they're doing, and their ethics are consistently questionable.

The best technical talent are either checked out and working on personal projects, or leaving. Lots of promises are made, and few fulfilled. Lack of innovation and too slow to market for new products - their VM hasn't changed in 10 years, and their other services are second rate in the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your ancient, toxic CEO and clean house - maybe you'll retain talent.

Observations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood working environment and health insurance

ConsNo 401 k matching
    Limited company sponsored activities

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to strive for innovation..

Decent experience so far

Pros- some genuinely good people here who help you grow
    - consistent work flow
    - one of the most recognized names in the space
    - quarterly outtings

Cons- no 401k matching
    - no set product training
    - learning as you go type of environment for newcomers

Best and Brightest IT Security Company

Territory Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsQualys is the industry thought leadership when it comes to Continuous Security
    The team here is passionate about constant evolution and change
    A culture of collaboration
    Continuously innovating and looking for people to bring something new to the table
    They are not afraid to fail.
    A strong commitment to employee training
    Craves honest feedback from employees
    Customer focused which helps build on existing relationships
    Qualys helps foster a work-life balance/fitness

ConsNo ESSP
    No 401K matching
    No telecommuting
    No "bring your kids to work day"

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to inspire, speak and listen to your employees. In turn they will give their personal best by thanking, developing, caring, and coming together as a unified team.

Great place to work if you enjoy being challenged

Sales (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsChallenging work, great people, incredible benefits, rewarding opportunity, excellent work-life balance and a lot of new responsibility. Amazing technology, and best security company out there. Growth is phenomenal from a company perspective.

ConsEnvironment/culture is not always supportive. There are remnants of a fear driven culture that is now evolving towards a more encouraging one, but there is still a lingering sense of that former culture. Formal training was non-existent until recently. Getting better, but needs to be much more focus on product and market knowledge and formal on-boarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it apparent that the culture is shifting towards one of support and encouragement. No need to sugar coat, but increase the positive and constructive feedback and eliminate any traces of the past fear-based culture. This will go a long way. Embrace the success the company is seeing by celebrating wins on all levels. Do more to bring the company together from a business and work perspective. Inter-office and inter-department collaboration is not encouraged or supported (nor discouraged) and the company could benefit from some collaboration and communication between teams.

Demanding but fulfilling

Marketing (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat brand, fast software release cycles, great engineering teams, international presence, amazing product, hard-working colleagues, demanding no-bullshit environment. Qualys offers challenging roles where you can make a difference if you're prepared to work hard. This company is the industry leader and the CEO is brilliant.

ConsLack of clear growth path, management turnover, "sink or swim" mentality, below-average compensation, infrequent employee functions, no 401K match, work from home is allowed but generally frowned-upon, hardly any career coaching.

Worked for Qualys? Contribute to the Community!