Quantlab Financial

Updated February 12, 2015
5.0

Bruce Paul Eames

First Rate Work Experience

I worked at Quantlab Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely smart and talented team. An outstanding organization with many opportunities. Company cares about its employees.

Cons

Not a lot of upward movement, position-wise, but if titles are unimportant then not a problem. Every position has learning and project advancement.

Work with the latest technologies, and great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Quantlab Financial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Quantlab is made up of extremely talented and intelligent people where upwards of 80% of the company are in technology related positions. If you are looking to work with smart people doing some amazing things, this is the place for you. I previously worked for a technology behemoth and it is refreshing to see just how much work can be done with a streamlined team that where you are enabled to put your visions into action.

There are a ton of social events and perks to the job that you just don't get anywhere else, and it is refreshing to work in an enterprise-size environment with a rather flat management structure where you aren't handcuffed by layer upon layer of middle-management. Team members are very welcoming to newcomers and for those relocating from elsewhere have no trouble meeting new friends for after work activities.

Cons

Since the company is smaller, those seeking to quickly rise through the ranks should look elsewhere. However, if you are looking to solve challenging problems and reap great rewards while moving laterally as desired - this is the place for you.

The interview process is quite long.

Streamline the hiring and interview process.

One year in - glad I made the move

I have been working at Quantlab Financial (more than a year)

Pros

- Atmosphere. When I interviewed with some of the investment banks the atmosphere seemed a little like a pressure-cooker. The atmosphere here is more research-oriented. It’s a good compromise between the university and industry settings.
    - The people on my team are intelligent, helpful and humble. We don’t compete with each other.
    - Quantlab is a good place to learn about quantitative finance in an applied, practical way. When I interviewed with bigger companies, the research teams seemed to have a more narrow focus. Here we see the big picture.

Cons

There is nothing that I think is worth mentioning. I am glad I moved to Houston and accepted the offer from Quantlab.

Continue to provide opportunities to learn new applications/skills.

Quantlab Financial LLC

I have been working at Quantlab Financial

Pros

The work is interesting. Pay is an upside and Quantlab has great people. The office is in the inner loop - which I like.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind relative to cons about working at the company. I'm glad I made the move to Quantlab from a bigger firm.

It's a Major Award!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Quantlab Financial full-time

Pros

The Quantlab employees have put in their 10000 hours to mastery. Out of a nondescript office in Houston they successfully compete against the best Wall Street has to offer. They are a collegiate group who spend time together both at work and play. Employment is stable with very low turn-over. A rigorous hiring process helps contribute to that stability. The work environment is a cross between academic research and high-tech. In what is typically a very demanding industry Quantlab is as relaxed as you choose, yet with greater effort come greater rewards.

Cons

Compared to a larger corporate environment (1000's of employees) there are fewer opportunities to change careers and/or your immediate management within the firm. This is common in even the larger proprietary firms. Quantlab is continuing to develop, and I expect this aspect to change with time.

Quantlab senior management have been successful in a very competitive business environment. They have worked hard and achieved great things. They are as successful as Chicago firms twice their size. I wish them all the luck and continued success.

An engaging company that actually fosters personal growth

Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Quantlab Financial as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Persistent and concise technical feedback, relaxed yet intellectually stimulating atmosphere, lenient work schedule, excellent work/life balance, many recreational perks, fantastic people to work with

Cons

Not enough performance feedback or conflict mediation

You should spend a little more time letting your interns know if you think they are meeting expectations. It's a necessary evil, but I think one that can be performed without sacrificing their intellectual autonomy.