Quantlab Financial

Updated April 16, 2014
5.0

Bruce Paul Eames

One year in - glad I made the move

I have been working at Quantlab Financial for more than a year

Pros

- Atmosphere. When I interviewed with some of the investment banks the atmosphere seemed a little like a pressure-cooker. The atmosphere here is more research-oriented. It’s a good compromise between the university and industry settings.
    - The people on my team are intelligent, helpful and humble. We don’t compete with each other.
    - Quantlab is a good place to learn about quantitative finance in an applied, practical way. When I interviewed with bigger companies, the research teams seemed to have a more narrow focus. Here we see the big picture.

Cons

There is nothing that I think is worth mentioning. I am glad I moved to Houston and accepted the offer from Quantlab.

Continue to provide opportunities to learn new applications/skills.

Quantlab Financial LLC

I have been working at Quantlab Financial

Pros

The work is interesting. Pay is an upside and Quantlab has great people. The office is in the inner loop - which I like.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind relative to cons about working at the company. I'm glad I made the move to Quantlab from a bigger firm.

It's a Major Award!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Quantlab Financial full-time

Pros

The Quantlab employees have put in their 10000 hours to mastery. Out of a nondescript office in Houston they successfully compete against the best Wall Street has to offer. They are a collegiate group who spend time together both at work and play. Employment is stable with very low turn-over. A rigorous hiring process helps contribute to that stability. The work environment is a cross between academic research and high-tech. In what is typically a very demanding industry Quantlab is as relaxed as you choose, yet with greater effort come greater rewards.

Cons

Compared to a larger corporate environment (1000's of employees) there are fewer opportunities to change careers and/or your immediate management within the firm. This is common in even the larger proprietary firms. Quantlab is continuing to develop, and I expect this aspect to change with time.

Quantlab senior management have been successful in a very competitive business environment. They have worked hard and achieved great things. They are as successful as Chicago firms twice their size. I wish them all the luck and continued success.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An engaging company that actually fosters personal growth

Former Employee - Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Quantlab Financial as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Persistent and concise technical feedback, relaxed yet intellectually stimulating atmosphere, lenient work schedule, excellent work/life balance, many recreational perks, fantastic people to work with

Cons

Not enough performance feedback or conflict mediation

You should spend a little more time letting your interns know if you think they are meeting expectations. It's a necessary evil, but I think one that can be performed without sacrificing their intellectual autonomy.

Worked for Quantlab Financial? Contribute to the Community!