Quantlab Financial Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.6
Bruce Eames

Great firm for smart, ambitious candidates

I worked at Quantlab Financial full-time

Pros

Smart and engaging team members. Highly successful firm that stays on top of its game. It's a company that generously invests in its employees and technology. The work is interesting - as are the people who work there. Management wants it to be a great place to work and the compensation, company and jobs reflect it.

Cons

Candidates who are looking for a cookie-cutter career path or who want to work with a bunch of quant shops may not be happy here.

Advice to Management

Play to the strengths of the team members who want to work with you.

Not impressed... at best

I worked at Quantlab Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: this review reflects my personal experience and views on the company. - A few reasonably smart and knowledgeable people from whom a more junior person can learn - Good perks in general, even if it is related to 'secondary stuff' (I personally would have prefered a better salary rather than free tickets to events no one cares about) - however I don't feel it is anything you could not get elsewhere

Cons

- Intellectual property not great, personally I don't feel they are up-to-par with their competitors; I would go as far as to say that some of the IP is even based on severe misconceptions of both technology and statistics - No opportunity for upward movement whatsoever, and a lot of management is really average (to say the least) compared to the rest of their team, and that makes the internal dynamics weird - Higher management is literally paranoid regarding the said 'IP' and that makes it very hard to move to another company. That's extremely dangerous for any future career opportunity and I would warn people looking forward to a growing career to think twice before signing up with them - Some 'managers' are overly self-confident (even somewhat obnoxious?), and therefore don't really seem to worry about the competition. I found that to be very scary at times. The pool of talent is limited and not 'renewed' - You won't get opportunities to work on interesting projects if you're not 'in' the in crowd - and it is unfortunately not clear how to get 'in' Overall, not really bad, but in my personal case, I have to say that working here was the worst move of my career. Definitely not a 'tech' company as they claim it...

Advice to Management

Control the internal hubris and you will already make a huge step ahead... Realize that talented people expect and deserve more than just basketball tickets.

Quantlab Financial Response

Jul 2, 2015 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful and blunt review. I take your feedback seriously and want to address the areas we fell short in providing you a great employee experience with ... More

First Rate Work Experience

I worked at Quantlab Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely smart and talented team. An outstanding organization with many opportunities. Company cares about its employees.

Cons

Not a lot of upward movement, position-wise, but if titles are unimportant then not a problem. Every position has learning and project advancement.

Work with the latest technologies, and great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Quantlab Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quantlab is made up of extremely talented and intelligent people where upwards of 80% of the company are in technology related positions. If you are looking to work with smart people doing some amazing things, this is the place for you. I previously worked for a technology behemoth and it is refreshing to see just how much work can be done with a streamlined team that where you are enabled to put your visions into action. There are a ton of social events and perks to the job that you just don't get anywhere else, and it is refreshing to work in an enterprise-size environment with a rather flat management structure where you aren't handcuffed by layer upon layer of middle-management. Team members are very welcoming to newcomers and for those relocating from elsewhere have no trouble meeting new friends for after work activities.

Cons

Since the company is smaller, those seeking to quickly rise through the ranks should look elsewhere. However, if you are looking to solve challenging problems and reap great rewards while moving laterally as desired - this is the place for you. The interview process is quite long.

Advice to Management

Streamline the hiring and interview process.

One year in - glad I made the move

I have been working at Quantlab Financial (More than a year)

Pros

- Atmosphere. When I interviewed with some of the investment banks the atmosphere seemed a little like a pressure-cooker. The atmosphere here is more research-oriented. It’s a good compromise between the university and industry settings. - The people on my team are intelligent, helpful and humble. We don’t compete with each other. - Quantlab is a good place to learn about quantitative finance in an applied, practical way. When I interviewed with bigger companies, the research teams seemed to have a more narrow focus. Here we see the big picture.

Cons

There is nothing that I think is worth mentioning. I am glad I moved to Houston and accepted the offer from Quantlab.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide opportunities to learn new applications/skills.

7. Quantlab Financial LLC

Pros

The work is interesting. Pay is an upside and Quantlab has great people. The office is in the inner loop - which I like.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind relative to cons about working at the company. I'm glad I made the move to Quantlab from a bigger firm.

It's a Major Award!

I worked at Quantlab Financial full-time

Pros

The Quantlab employees have put in their 10000 hours to mastery. Out of a nondescript office in Houston they successfully compete against the best Wall Street has to offer. They are a collegiate group who spend time together both at work and play. Employment is stable with very low turn-over. A rigorous hiring process helps contribute to that stability. The work environment is a cross between academic research and high-tech. In what is typically a very demanding industry Quantlab is as relaxed as you choose, yet with greater effort come greater rewards.

Cons

Compared to a larger corporate environment (1000's of employees) there are fewer opportunities to change careers and/or your immediate management within the firm. This is common in even the larger proprietary firms. Quantlab is continuing to develop, and I expect this aspect to change with time.

Advice to Management

Quantlab senior management have been successful in a very competitive business environment. They have worked hard and achieved great things. They are as successful as Chicago firms twice their size. I wish them all the luck and continued success.

An engaging company that actually fosters personal growth

Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Quantlab Financial as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Persistent and concise technical feedback, relaxed yet intellectually stimulating atmosphere, lenient work schedule, excellent work/life balance, many recreational perks, fantastic people to work with

Cons

Not enough performance feedback or conflict mediation

Advice to Management

You should spend a little more time letting your interns know if you think they are meeting expectations. It's a necessary evil, but I think one that can be performed without sacrificing their intellectual autonomy.

RSS Feed </> Embed