Quantum Corporation

Quantum Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Quantum Corporation CEO and Director Jon W. Gacek

Jon W. Gacek

Pros
  • Benefits are good, people are great, work life balance is great too (in 10 reviews)

• good work enviroment,good people to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is all about the good old boys network (in 5 reviews)

• No stock price movement in what, ten years (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company overview

Engineering Technician IV (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsData storage is a growing industry, Stornext is great technology

ConsCompetitive industry, transitioning company

Hey Titanic, there's an iceberg ahead

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsWas a good environment to work in; nice facilities, good benefits, good salary (if you pre-dated the ADIC acquisition)

ConsUnderlying sense of just treading water/hold on until the job market gets better - Two years of ongoing layoffs and a steady decline of sales as Tape fades and disk can never match the expectations. CEO does a variation of the same song and dance each quarter to spin underachievement into a positive. Stock price mired at the $1.20 mark despite all the organizational "synergy" supposed to be achieved by last years outsourcing/general downsizing. No real "new" products in years as there is no Design Engineering bandwidth due to downsizing/attrition.

ADIC "ego culture" increasingly prevalent as legacy Quantum employees devalued and sent packing - Trouble is, ADIC was incredibly inept at Design and Manufacturing. Sloppy documentation, tribal knowledge atmosphere. Just do it (or else)

Advice to Senior ManagementTrouble starts at CEO and next level down (should I repeat "ego culture")

If responsible management were to occur, really need to look at how many people have the titles Director and Manager, how much they are making, and how few people now work for them. Many have no or one/two direct reports. There's the difference between profit and loss.

Also needs to re-address the sales mentality that allows customers to wait until quarter end for staggering discounts, particularly in disk

Great place to work, lots of smart, good people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people trying hard to turn the company towards growth. Fun, smart people

Consjust cant seem to break the flat revenue barrier into a growth company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Average company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood team and work environment. Overall I can see some growth for me. But the company pace is very slow. Management has to be aggressive.

ConsCompany is not fast paced. I am a software engineer and found that management is not very aggressive. Compensation-wise its below average. Culture is not very relaxed. I would like to see shorts in summer time but people here use only business casuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive.

Hit and miss.

Analyst (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsMostly good people.

Good benefits.

Good products.

ConsCertain departments are not given training or sufficient resources, then they're over staffed to compensate for those deficits.

Silo mentality (not as bad as it was).

Advice to Senior ManagementI've seen improvements, so I encourage them to keep that trajectory.

Lots of talent. Clueless Upper Management. Advocates for bureaucracy and inefficiencies

Drone (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAmazing talent in the lower ranks, all with a stubborn dedication to making the company work.. Top-of- the-line innovative products with huge market potential. Good work-life balance. Decent benefits.

ConsUpper and middle management is an inept self-promoting good-ol' boy network. Zero talent recognition. No hope for advancement. Pay below average, raises frowned upon.
    Laughable (if any) product training. Refusal to adopt best practices. High level of unnecessary bureaucracy using outdated, expensive, CRM. Company is run on shareware or freeware.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company could do very well. The products and the people supporting them are fantastic. Your people are dedicated and enthusiastic, but many are reduced to only show up for work to get a paycheck. Think "Career Path".
    Reduce bureaucracy, get rid of Oracle in exchange for a "real" CRM. Stop the bean-counter mentality and invest in the company. Provide adequate tools and adopt a Best Practices program for product implementation. Get a competent CEO and remove a top layer of upper management.

Quantum Corp

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly culture. Fair amount of time off. A lot of good people.

ConsUncertainty and eventual layoff. Poor emphasis on quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove quality of products.

Quantum is trying to starve itself back to health

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsQuantum is focused on work life balance.
    Quantum has proactive programs focused on employee health (or they did).

ConsOverall, the employee population is underpaid as compared to the local market.
    Truly awful place to work, as all the focus is on short term goals and no process or product improvements. I guess it is an ok place to work if you don't care...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to diet yourself healthy. If you want to turn the company around, you are going to have to invest in the future.

Neither Happy nor Sad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood benefits and life balance. One of a handful of companies that actually embrace telecommuting.

ConsLack of proper training at most job levels. Not many opportunities for advancement nor is there any loyalty shows to employees. Merit increases are ridiculously low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more faith in your employees. For the most part, they are well educated, dedicated employees. Treat them as such.

Phone tech

ProsNice atmosphere and plenty of room to move.

ConsNot recognized for performance and quality. Pay is all based on stats.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the employee for all the intangibles they bring to the table which is NOT measured via stats i.e. spending extra time with the customer to troubleshoot and resolve with one call as opposed to getting off the phone for the stat. After all, that saves the company $ and provides customer sat. There is no incentive for the tech to operate with this philosophy. If the customer calls back five times, then the tech stats look good and they get a raise while the good tech that spends time with the customer gets nothing.

Worked for Quantum Corporation? Contribute to the Community!