Quantum Corporation

Updated December 11, 2014
2.9

Quantum Corporation CEO and Director Jon W. Gacek
Jon W. Gacek

Pros
  • Benefits are good, people are great, work life balance is great too (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible time and good work environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is all about the good old boys network (in 5 reviews)

• No stock price movement in what, ten years (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work if you are into Technology

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Quantum Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great Work/Life Balance
    -Surrounded by tons of smart people who really understand the technology
    -Lots of meetings and chances to improve team productiivity

Cons

-Cubicles is Work Environment reduces collaboration
    -No one in the marketing team understands code, not even basic web development
    -Marketing team is understaffed

Perhaps add on to the marketing staff

A place where an individual can make a difference

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Quantum Corporation full-time

Pros

The people I work with on a daily basis are fantastic. I feel that Quantum has a small company feel and absolutely you can determine how much you want to contribute to Quantum's success. The culture of helping each other and working as a team, not keeping secrets, and working towards a common goal is very prevalent.

I have a lot of respect for managers and individual contributors. In my group, the current manager has done a great job sharing his vision and directing where he wants the team to go. Except for 2 people that come to mind, Individual contributors at Quantum are self motivated and will always assist if needed.

Cons

Due to previous down-sizing, many people are stretched thin. I know that I wear multiple hats and it's difficult to accomplish as much as I'd like or meet everybody's expectations. Fortunately, I do feel that the workload is understood and appreciated, and I appreciate not being micromanaged. Because of the sheer amount of work, the work-life balance tilts much more towards work than I'd like, but the hours are flexible so if there are outside commitments it's easy to work them in.

It is exciting seeing our financials continue to get stronger and hopefully that will eventually allow additional perks for employees. Right now benefits/perks are very average.

Wonderful, open, "family" type of environment!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Quantum Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The ability to be who I am in a non-threatening environment. An environment that caters to the employee and allows them the growth potential they deserve!

Cons

When the finances are down (i.e. sales), they counteract with layoffs. Frequently.

No problem whatsoever in this area.

Good company, good position, bad timing...

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Quantum Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, flexibility, health conscious and office culture were all great in my short time there. It was a great position with a lot of career potential. Unfortunately I was brought on about 6 months before some corporate restructuring and layoffs needed to occur. So myself and about 120 other people were released.

Cons

The product and systems training wasn't good. It was all done with recorded, online tutorials that you did by yourself. It was not intuitive at all and seemed pretty antiquated for a technology company.

Great company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Quantum Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Nice work environment

Cons

Compensation
    Slow decisions
    Project management can be better

Management

I worked at Quantum Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Product line up. Good benefits. Good work-life balance. Talented engineering pool. Some portions of business doing well while others flounder.

Cons

For a high-tech company they are stuck in the past as far as using new tools for collaboration and other tasks.
    Constant lay-offs for the past several years even though management keeps saying this is the last one. Leadership team fails to provide adequate direction. very unstable as far as job security.

Start over with new management team across the board. bring in new perspectives. Update tools.

A great place to work

I worked at Quantum Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work -life balance was great. The relationships with co-workers was cherished

Cons

Compensation could have been better, but the work-life balance helped for me.

NO Comments

Mendota Heights: Internet Engineering Team

Current Employee - Senior PHP Developer in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Senior PHP Developer in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Quantum Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for a great team that was highly collaborative team that got along very well. Top notch engineers.

Cons

A former engineer took over the team in roughly August of 2013. It was a disaster from the beginning as he started out broadcasting he only wanted to have the manager title to promote his own career and his ideas. There was not one day going forward where this new "manager" actually tried to or succeeded in managing anyone on the team, complementing anyone for all the overtime or excellent work, managing the project, or handling himself in a professional manner.

Senior management cared very little about the negative treatment and unprofessionalism (both private and public) that was handed down to every developer on the team for reasons unknown to any of us. The new "manager" (which I put in quotes because he was anything but a manager) probably suffered from some pretty severe self-image issues, and took the new role as his opportunity to take out his past on us. They finally demoted the "manager" once 2 of 5 PHP developers left or had 1 foot out the door. In the end, it was clear the only skill the "manager" had was painting every one on his team in a negative light, and promoting himself.

First, don't put people in management positions you know can't manage. Second, big mature enough to admit that you made a mistake publically and fix the bad situations you created.

Colorado Springs: Many good years, but manufacturing is now contracted to other companies.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Quantum Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a strong focus on engineering and the Agile system really works well to track changes, deviations, BOMs and specs, and when there wasn't enough "bandwidth" to cover all the ECs, the system does a good job of keeping them from falling through the cracks. Engineers are bright and enthusiastic about their jobs, even if sometimes overwhelmed. New Product launches were typically on time, teamwork was effective, and communication between all functions usually worked very well. Lots of meetings! Maybe that's a con to some, but communication was effective. Good compensation and benefits. Nice modern facilities, CO SPGS has a gym/showers/lockers and self serve café, basketball/volleyball courts. I had many good years between several sites, I miss working there.

Cons

There have been so many layoffs in manufacturing I can't count. Of course now it's over, there is no manufacturing at Quantum, it has been outsourced to other US companies in AL, AZ, and CA. The remaining functions are scattered in several states, not sure that is sustainable, so I would be wary of the longevity of any facility. There are 3 sites in CO, so I would expect at least one to remain.

I can't speak for the remaining functions. I supported production so I can't advise on something that no longer exists. Bring production back to PPO, or Englewood? Nice dream, but I think that ship has sailed for good. Thanks, I had a good run.

Company overview

Former Employee - Engineering Technician IV in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician IV in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Quantum Corporation as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Data storage is a growing industry, Stornext is great technology

Cons

Competitive industry, transitioning company

Quantum Corporation Photos