Queen of the Valley Medical Center

Dennis M. Sisto

1. Dedicated to excellent clinical care

Former Employee - Critical Care Clinical Specialist in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Critical Care Clinical Specialist in Napa, CA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Progressive, general striving for excellence, beautiful area to live in, part of wider health system;

Cons

Pay not the greatest; they always seem to be in some kind of a financial crisis; few other job options in the immediate area should you move there and the job not work out; with management and salaried employees, expect much overtime work.

Advice to Management

Respect the nurses!

CYA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center

Pros

If you work here you live in Napa.

Cons

Administration believes that their job security is more important than the well being of its constituents. This includes not only employees but the patients as well. I have worked at Kaiser and other well respected institutions and have never seen such unprofessionalism and disregard for other people. To them, survival and market share take precedent in decisions around new service offerings and partnerships. Layoffs and re-orgs now plague this institution while they still try to do business the same way.

Advice to Management

Put your career and internal politics behind you. You are losing the war because you suppress ingenuity and progress by allowing the old guard to be influenced by their own concerns for survival. Let them know that this type of maneuvering will not be allowed and protect those who are politically vulnerable. This will allow transparency and new ideas to flourish. Its already too late to have a fighting chance against Kaiser. Expect to irrelevant soon and simply a contracted access point for a acute care for Kaiser unless drastic changes are made immediately.

3. Was laid off in 2014

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

close to home, market based wages, at one time cared not only about patients but about their staff

Cons

the past few years did not seem to live up to live up to their company values, general poor staff morale

5. I have had a wonderful experience and have made many lifelong friends

Current Employee - RNII in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - RNII in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Myself and my coworkers work as a cohesive group and can rely on each other totally. Our care of our patients is our focus and it shows in our surveys

Cons

Company's value of employees disappearing

Advice to Management

Keep us posted on what is going on with all the changes in a timely fashion

Student R.T. at this hospital with over 700 hours clinical time in diagnostic, ER, ICU, CT, Surgery and Angiography.

Former Employee - Stusent Rasiologic Techno; Ogist in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Stusent Rasiologic Techno; Ogist in Napa, CA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent hospital to learn and prefect my skills at. they are very busy and work by the book with no shortcuts. I am proud to have served my last clinical rotation there full time in ten hour shifts. I was able to work with minimal supervision and this helped me rely on my own abilities.

Cons

Most technologists were working per-diem and no benefits. I understand that our economy is in recovery and Obama Care is hard on California and (I hope) should be worked out soon.

Advice to Management

None

7. Sink or swim environment

Former Employee - Leadership in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Leadership in Napa, CA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Non profit- orginazation gives millions back to the community every year

Cons

Even though the medical center was non profit - the day to day focus was constantly growing on greater and greater profit.

Advice to Management

Dont forget the roots of the hospital and how it came to be

Thought I would retire from there.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful medical staff, good pay, benefits. Largest employer in area. Place to be if you are ill.

Cons

HR unhelpful to employees, let older staff go, keeping younger staff during layoff. Some department managers are mean

Advice to Management

Treat older workers with respect they deserve.

9. A good place to work, The doctors are excellent and the staff good to work with, The hospital treats it's employees fair

Current Employee - R N in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - R N in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center part-time

Pros

Excellent pt. to staff ratio 4:1, The benefits are excellent, and the wage more than adequate. The hospital stands behind their employees. I like the 12 hr. shifts. I would much rather work 2-3 days a week than 4-5 days. They supply a good range of education that is free for the employees. and the upkeep/maintenance of the hospital is good.

Cons

If someone wanted to live near the hospital, Napa is a wealthy area (generally speaking) and the cost of living is higher than in many other places, I commute. The nurses recently voted to go union.(California Nurses assoc.) It will take a lot before the benefits of belonging to a union outweigh the personal cost. Like all of the hospitals I have worked in you occasionally have to search for specific equipment (on night shift) but over all they have what you need available including a couple of amenities like a bladder scanner on the units. The hospital is a little bit heavy in the administrative staffing, But there is always enough staff to give good pt. care.

10. Good benefits

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Napa, CA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay & Benefits and hours

Cons

Management can be a little difficult

11. The Queen used to be a good place to work, but is not any longer.

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center

Pros

Salary and benefits are adequate.
    Employees are still a good group to work with.

Cons

"Under New Management", which is accelerating the rate of decline over the previous management.
    Management is treating employees as if they are replaceable parts, not people. Staffing is being cut in all areas and morale is plummeting, and all management can think about is "competing with Kaiser", while raising prices and driving away customers (patients and physicians).

Advice to Management

If you treat employees with respect, they will respect you. This attitude has gotten the Queen through some bad times in the past. It can still work, but you have to start doing it NOW.

RSS Feed </> Embed