Queen of the Valley Medical Center

Updated August 29, 2014
3.4

Dennis M. Sisto
1 Rating

Student R.T. at this hospital with over 700 hours clinical time in diagnostic, ER, ICU, CT, Surgery and Angiography.

Former Employee - Stusent Rasiologic Techno; Ogist in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Stusent Rasiologic Techno; Ogist in Napa, CA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent hospital to learn and prefect my skills at. they are very busy and work by the book with no shortcuts. I am proud to have served my last clinical rotation there full time in ten hour shifts. I was able to work with minimal supervision and this helped me rely on my own abilities.

Cons

Most technologists were working per-diem and no benefits. I understand that our economy is in recovery and Obama Care is hard on California and (I hope) should be worked out soon.

None

Good place to earn experience but would not work here long

Current Employee - Nursing Student in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - Nursing Student in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Staff are nice as long as you do your job and are kind in return. Telemetry, ER and ICU are great- efficient and usually have good staff.

Cons

Floors are cramped, did not train staff with new computer charting system, many burnt out nurses and staff. Doctors/pt. ratio is insane too.

Train your employees better with computer charting and follow up on employee satisfaction. Good leadership style but needs more communication to run smoothly and ensure that everyone is on the same page.

I have had a wonderful experience and have made many lifelong friends

Current Employee - RNII in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - RNII in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Myself and my coworkers work as a cohesive group and can rely on each other totally. Our care of our patients is our focus and it shows in our surveys

Cons

Company's value of employees disappearing

Keep us posted on what is going on with all the changes in a timely fashion

Sink or swim environment

Former Employee - Leadership in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Leadership in Napa, CA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Non profit- orginazation gives millions back to the community every year

Cons

Even though the medical center was non profit - the day to day focus was constantly growing on greater and greater profit.

Dont forget the roots of the hospital and how it came to be

Thought I would retire from there.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful medical staff, good pay, benefits. Largest employer in area. Place to be if you are ill.

Cons

HR unhelpful to employees, let older staff go, keeping younger staff during layoff. Some department managers are mean

Treat older workers with respect they deserve.

A good place to work, The doctors are excellent and the staff good to work with, The hospital treats it's employees fair

Current Employee - R N in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - R N in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center part-time

Pros

Excellent pt. to staff ratio 4:1, The benefits are excellent, and the wage more than adequate. The hospital stands behind their employees. I like the 12 hr. shifts. I would much rather work 2-3 days a week than 4-5 days. They supply a good range of education that is free for the employees. and the upkeep/maintenance of the hospital is good.

Cons

If someone wanted to live near the hospital, Napa is a wealthy area (generally speaking) and the cost of living is higher than in many other places, I commute. The nurses recently voted to go union.(California Nurses assoc.) It will take a lot before the benefits of belonging to a union outweigh the personal cost. Like all of the hospitals I have worked in you occasionally have to search for specific equipment (on night shift) but over all they have what you need available including a couple of amenities like a bladder scanner on the units. The hospital is a little bit heavy in the administrative staffing, But there is always enough staff to give good pt. care.

Good benefits

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Napa, CA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay & Benefits and hours

Cons

Management can be a little difficult

The Queen used to be a good place to work, but is not any longer.

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory in Napa, CA

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center

Pros

Salary and benefits are adequate.
    Employees are still a good group to work with.

Cons

"Under New Management", which is accelerating the rate of decline over the previous management.
    Management is treating employees as if they are replaceable parts, not people. Staffing is being cut in all areas and morale is plummeting, and all management can think about is "competing with Kaiser", while raising prices and driving away customers (patients and physicians).

If you treat employees with respect, they will respect you. This attitude has gotten the Queen through some bad times in the past. It can still work, but you have to start doing it NOW.

The Queen of the Valley provided extremely beneficial education to their staff

Former Employee - RNII in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - RNII in Napa, CA

I worked at Queen of the Valley Medical Center

Pros

There is a low turnover because they treat the staff well. They are supportive and try hard for the employees

Cons

some of the staff had been working in a such a good environment they didn't realize how good they had it at the Queen.

Neutral

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Queen of the Valley Medical Center

Pros

Good location, okay pay, always available overtime, lots of learning opportunites within the hospital, education reimbursement, and RN-BSN opportunities. lots of nice people!

Cons

poor scheduling, lots of open shifts. Not the most competitive with pay. constant battle regarding union vs non-union opportunites for staff.