Queens Library Reviews

Hard to advance

Former Employee - Page  in  Astoria, NY
    Former Employee - Page in Astoria, NY

I worked at Queens Library part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meet and work with great people from all backgrounds. Great starter job for kids still in High School who need a part-time job. Was able to work in projects outside of my job and advance my skills and knowledge. Being able to have access to materials was also great.

Cons

Pay is too low, and raises are very minute. More could be done to boost worker's morales, such as more company events or better benefits.

Crooked. Getting what they deserve.

I worked at Queens Library

Pros

Really can't think of much. All the books and music you want? Maybe fun to see happy children? Many devoted librarians?

Cons

Management of the management, by the management, and for the management. If you are one of the chosen you get bonuses, raises, tickets. If you try to follow the rules and it's not what they want, you are gone. They always have someone in the process of being "managed" out. Meetings are held where they laugh at the misery of the current target. If you are a librarian, good luck. You will work in fear of your job.

Merge with the NY public library. You will save tons of money and give the people of Queens what they deserve.

Mine was a growth experience

Former Employee - Hourly  in  Far Rockaway, NY
    Former Employee - Hourly in Far Rockaway, NY

I worked at Queens Library part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Queens Library is the access to so much reading material. I also enjoyed the people I worked with, as we were a team and got to know each other quite well. The ability to have some input in personal schedules was also a plus.

Cons

Some of the challenges came directly from management, in that they did not trust us to do what we knew to do, even after proving it time and time again. The compensation was not competitive for the amount of work required.

Upper management should take more time to know the staff and the work required for lower ranks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Librarian Intern

Former Employee - Librarian Intern  in  Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Librarian Intern in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Queens Library as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Staff is Excellent and projects provide valuable experience when looking for an entry-level librarian position. Through CityCorps, I was able to get paid for my internship experience through Work-Study Funds I'd been given by Financial Aid. Worked in the branches and Central Library.

Cons

I was there during staff layoffs a few years ago and morale was very low. Did busywork for an internship more often than I would have hoped. Very little chances of turning the internship into a Full-Time job. I never got a good feel as how I could get a job there or anywhere after working here.

Give interns a clearer path towards marketable projects for entry-level employment and improve interns' knowledge of library-management structure.

Not A Nice Place to Work Right Now (2014)

Current Employee - Community Library Manager  in  Jamaica, NY
    Current Employee - Community Library Manager in Jamaica, NY

I have been working at Queens Library full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice setting, like my co-workers, access to online resources and print materials for free with library card

Cons

Stressful environment, low pay, workplace bullying

If this is the place you want to work, great! Just be sure to read the NY Daily News articles (February 2014). Realize that by joining this organization, that it's NOT a happy place.

Family-inflexibility (work 11-7), selfishness (where the top managers give themselves hefty pay raises each year and limit exempt and non-exempt staff to less than 3% a year; unionized workers are a different story), no budget to buy new books (but money to buy new tech) and demoralized workers (who will resent you because you will be paid more than them since the library must pay competitive wages to hire you), make for a negative workplace environment.

You may be better off elsewhere, since all this trouble means the city and state will be scrutinizing the library further. Your job will likely be on the layoff list as soon as you are hired since you are new and have no union to protect you. Remember: union workers have had zero pay increase for a few years - and yet they can justify hiring you.

Consider your options before choosing to work here. The press negativity and the questionable internal processes should make you think before taking a job with us.

Listen to your workers. There is no HR presence. Between harrassment, bullying, and rumors and sexual innuendo - no one is listening!

"Hourly" as in P/T. Shelve books and media according to Dewey Decimal system.

Current Employee - Hourly  in  Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Hourly in Flushing, NY

I have been working at Queens Library part-time for more than a year

Pros

The job is simple & worth because it does not stress you a lot.

Cons

Unfortunately, knowing as most of the time P/T are 20-25hrs, but the QL max hours that an hourly is required to do are 17hrs max at a min. wage.

It is a tranquil environment to work in.

Former Employee - Page  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Page in New York, NY

I worked at Queens Library part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a place where you can have the pleasure of helping people uncover information that they need to know

Cons

No growth in position or much advancement at all at this employer.

Jusrt my two cents

Former Employee - Intern  in  Rego Park, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Rego Park, NY

I worked at Queens Library part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with a diverse range of people across many income levels, and helping them feels rewarding.

Cons

The bureaucracy can sometimes be frustrating to get past when you want something to get done.

Make it easier to order new books in the system

Low morale, terrible place to work

Former Employee - Librarian  in  Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Librarian in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Queens Library full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some people there dedicated to serving the public.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. Led by incompetents who give themselves hefty raises each year (especially the CEO) while the front line public service employees get no raises and work under constant threats of layoffs. It is unsafe as security is nonexistent. Bullying is constant - that is how the place is "managed". At Central some employees have their bathroom breaks monitored and timed and are not allowed to have lunch together. Upper management covers each other for some very bad behavior - it is very much an old-boys network. Low salaries and librarians laid off and replaced by lower paid employees who do not have Masters degrees. A miserable workplace.

Treat your employees with respect. Pay decent salaries. Get rid of do-nothing upper management, starting at the very top. STOP THE LAYOFFS AND THREATS OF LAYOFFS.

Decent Place to work

I worked at Queens Library full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, ok salary, Vacation, many different branches to work in, team environment.

Cons

Upper management is very much out of the loop when it comes to the needs and concerns of the employees. They put pressure on the lower managers which of course trickles down to the front employees. Over the years (last 5 or so) this practice has caused workplace moral to plummet in many branches (especially Central)

Pay attention to the concerns of your front line employees, we are the ones who deal with the customer on a daily basis.

Worked for Queens Library? Contribute to the Community!