Queensboro Shirt Company

3.7
Fred Meyers

1. Fun

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays good, good co-workers, relaxed environment, open lines of communication, generous paid time-off/vacation, steady work, moral and tolerant

Cons

Equipment a little outdated, a tad cult-like in its atmosphere/loyalty, production areas noisy, slow advancement, particularly difficult customers, no 401k

Advice to Management

Get 401k, some equipment upgrades, quiet areas/times

2. Employees are trusted with the responsibility to improve the company.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Queensboro's management expects all employees to consider how their actions can improve the company. There is a high level of trust involved, which is empowering. The company is focused on continual improvement. Employees are given both the responsibility to meet customer needs and the power to make it happen. One doesn't have to constantly seek managerial approval to fix customer issues. Respect for each employee's contribution is a strong part of the company culture.

Cons

Management tends to make frequent changes in strategy. Changes in procedures to accommodate the changing strategies are sometimes vague and confusing.

Advice to Management

Strive for clearer procedural norms across all departments. Gain more control of logistics.

3. Truly amazing place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've had a lot of jobs in customer service and I can honestly say that this one is by far the best.
    The owner and the management truly care about the employees and creating a awesome environment.
    It's a very laid back work environment with a great community of coworkers.
    There's very good benefits and lots of opportunity for growth within the company.
    They don't micromanage, but instead hold everyone to high standards to make sure that the job gets done.
    They frequently have luncheons and other events to strengthen relationships within the company, and to just have fun and reward everyone for their hard work.
    I really would recommend this job to anyone!

Cons

I honestly don't have any!

5. Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company

Pros

I have worked for Queensboro for almost 4 years and I still love my job. We moved into our new office space little over a year ago and it is such a professional and friendly atmosphere. We have an open floor plan with different departments grouped together. No closed up offices or cubicles. You can see everyone openly across the room which is so convenient. Fred the owner is in the same room with us and walks through each department daily chatting with everyone. I love what I do for the company, working with the employees and the customers. We work as a team when it comes to the work, but we also are a family when it comes to how close we all are and how we take care of one another. We know how to get our work done and have a good time with all our fellow employees. You are not micromanaged her at Queensboro, we are empowered to manage our own time wisely and get our jobs down. Our feedback matters here at Queensboro! We all work together to make this a truly great place to work. I can't imagine working for a better group of people and a better company!

Cons

There is no retirement/401K opportunities

Advice to Management

retirement/401K opportunities

6. Customer Service

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company

Pros

Focused on improvement and employee happiness.
    Casual and open office space.
    Amazing co-workers
    Committed to core values
    Positive atmosphere
    Pro-active management

All around great place. I have no doubt that the vast majority of current (and many former) employees would highly recommend this company.

Cons

I don't have any complaints.

7. All the dirt they don't want you to know.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company full-time

Pros

Steady schedule. About half of the employees are excellent.

Cons

It's a dirty warehouse. There's mold growing on the walls. Bugs flying around. The environment is horrible. Don't let their ads trick you into thinking you're going to have a lavish office. I literally worked on a table they use at fundraisers for months. Management does not give two craps about your health or well-being. It is all about being there for your full 40 hours and being over worked while only being paid around $11/hour. The benefits are lackluster and expensive. The company CEO said two sentences to me the entire time I worked there (he sits 50 feet away from me) and my manager was an absolute witch every moment of every day. The list can really go on here. I was going to put my notice in next week to leave for a job with the county, but today was the end of it. I could not deal with this place any longer. Just a few months will drive you insane. Half of the employees are incredible, wonderful people. The other half are rude. Elitist. Incompetent. Inter-departmental communication was horrible. No one ever knew what was going on. Every day was literally a stress filled nightmare. If I did not have such lovely medications for anxiety I never would have made it. Save yourself the trouble. Find somewhere else to work. This place will be done in a year at the rate it's going.

Advice to Management

Learn to run a successful business. Foster and promote your employees. Do not beat them down and make them feel any more worthless than they already do.

8. Focused On Improvement

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company

Pros

casual, friendly work environment
    intelligent and stimulating co-workers
    ability to make things right for the customer
    focus on constant improvement
    open workspace leads to easy collaboration
    involved employees advance quickly

Cons

few amenities
    no restaurants in walking distance
    demanding customers
    no place to hide on a bad day
    noise level can be a distraction

Advice to Management

Retain customer focus and present drive toward improvement. Hire a professional cleaning crew for a once a week dusting and moping.

9. Great place for people who like to work hard.

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company

Pros

Queensboro has a casual work environment on the surface. Dress is very casual and everyone is very friendly. There are no doors. It is total open office environment and everyone pretty much sits together from the President of the Company to the newest employee. The people are all very nice and smart but everyone works really hard and there is no place to hide so you can't fake it, which is great as everyone has to pull his or her own weight.

Cons

Change is constant and sometimes the customers can be difficult to deal with so sometimes things get a little unsettling. The work is pretty much non stop, so there is not much down time.

Advice to Management

try to keep growing the company bigger so there are more opportunities for everyone!

10. Entrepreneurial Company & Collaborative environment

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company

Pros

There is a positive environment at Queensboro, where everyone is very friendly and is very proud of and passionate about the business and what they do. There is positive feedback amongst all employees when someone performs well. It is very interesting and exciting to work in a collaborative environment where all departments work together from logo design to customer service. Dress code is relaxed, and management is very responsive to employees' needs. All employees get to meet together during monthly lunches where we discuss and reflect upon the month's progress and what has been going on in the company. Advancement within and across the company is very common.

Cons

It is at times hard to stay updated with all of the projects and changes within other departments while the job does require careful attention to detail and a lot of hard work. Meanwhile, meetings and interacting with other employees helps to lessen this problem, and we are rewarded for our efforts.

Advice to Management

Even further collaboration between departments, as has been done recently, could help to keep everyone on the same page and to increase efficiency.

11. The best co-workers and advancement opportunities

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company

Pros

This company promotes from within – moving employees from entry level positions into management on a regular basis. Also moving to different departments is strongly encouraged – if you show interest and motivation. Queensboro has a really laid back business environment and the dress code is very casual/comfortable. However, the best thing about Queensboro is the people. The co-workers are amazing and always willing to help you with any issue – even outside of work employees tend to become really great friends and support each other. Some of the best friends I have are either current or past Queensboro employees.

Cons

This isn’t an easy job it takes a ton of patience and hard work. There are also customers who can make the job difficult, hectic and stressful at times but it is well worth it- and the people who put in the effort are definitely recognized.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. There is a fair amount of inter-departmental communication that needs to continue or even increase. Everyone needs to be aware of what is going on in the other departments.

RSS Feed </> Embed