Queensland Health Reviews

3.6
Queensland Health Minister for Health Cameron Dick
Cameron Dick

1. Educator

Current Employee - Nurse Educator in Ipswich (Australia)
    Current Employee - Nurse Educator in Ipswich (Australia)

I have been working at Queensland Health full-time

Pros

Allows for advanced practice to support and encourage nursing staff and teams to develop. Personal and practice development is exciting and innovative, encompassing best practice with new ideas allows the shaping and improvement of clinical arena for increased quality in patient care.

Cons

Not enough sharing of good ideas, and areas of excellence. Needs more HR support for staff, in some areas.

Advice to Management

More open forums to share good ideas or practice. More cross service workings to look with fresh eyes at current practice and aim to reduce embedding poor culture. More celebration of success and recognition of grass roots level employees who give of themselves everyday.

If you want to deliver, don't come here.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Queensland Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, size in relation to job opportunities elsewhere.

Cons

Difficulty in getting any change in the organisation. Toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Understand your positions in what you have to do and don't look at it as a retirement plan.

3. Queensland Health

Current Employee - Senior Policy Officer in Herston (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Policy Officer in Herston (Australia)

I have been working at Queensland Health part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Queensland Health offers flexible working arrangements and excellent employment benefits. The Department offers a variety of roles across a wide range of specialty areas. Opportunities for progression are encouraged and professional development is strongly supported.

Cons

In such a large organization it can often be difficult to know about other programs or projects that might compliment the initiatives of your own unit or team.

Advice to Management

Personality fit should be considered when employing new staff. Positive workplaces make for positive employees working together and achieving better outcomes.

5. Enrolled Endorced Nurse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Robina (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Robina (Australia)

I have been working at Queensland Health

Pros

As a mature age student who became grad at 50 and then to obtain a permanent employment is the best work experience.

Cons

The educational resources are endless and the support from my colleagues and line manager is fantastic.

Advice to Management

Nurses need as much education to deliver the best possible care to patients

6. Crap Culture Wonderful People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Queensland Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyday I go to work knowing what I do will help the health of people all over the world not just Queenslanders, we are an international organisation with a community focus.

Cons

Corporate Culture and ever since "the Prince of theives" fraud case delegations have been restricted making it difficult to do your job because of all the bureaucratic red tape. That was so long ago the Department needs to learn from it and move on.

Advice to Management

as above

The best job EVER!

Current Employee - Administration Officer in Robina (Australia)
    Current Employee - Administration Officer in Robina (Australia)

I have been working at Queensland Health full-time

Pros

Assisting the public and working with fabulous people in a caring environment.

Cons

People that have been working in the same job for years and years and are irritable. They need to move on.

Advice to Management

Please stop allowing NUMS to employee people that they want personally, rather than employing people for their experience.

8. Employment satisfaction.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bundaberg (Australia)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bundaberg (Australia)

I have been working at Queensland Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Qld health has excellent work Ethics with good hourly wage rates. Awesome team culture and values within excellent working conditions. Provides excellent career opportunities, work/ life balance and long term compensations and benefits.

Cons

All employees strive to hold the standards of the company high ,providing quality patient care.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with a little notice to be taken of nurses and heavy work loads due to understaffing.

9. Emergency RN with 25 years expirience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Caloundra (Australia)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Caloundra (Australia)

I have been working at Queensland Health full-time

Pros

I believe in QLD Health!! We have grown and improved so much over the last 9 years that I am proud to announce that I am helping to care for Queenslanders. I know I give my 100% every day, that makes me feel good. I see the effect that our team has on the lives of others, which is positive and reassuring...that makes me feel good. I get to treat people with the respect and dignity that they deserve, including when they are in a palliative position. I work with like minded professionals who collaborate for the common goal of helping as many people as possible with the assets we have. At least twice a week we have continuing education, I LOVE being a life time learner and find this helps my confidence to do my best to help patients and my colleagues.

Cons

OUR ANUM does not have the skills to manage our unit as she is less skilled and qualified than more than half our staff. When we are under the hammer, she cannot step up to do patient care, she cannot triage or help in RESUS, this is DEM. We are there for serious situations. It would be great to have someone onsite who could understand our working conditions without always criticising our statistical variables. This makes me SAD.

Advice to Management

Management needs to LISTEN. I am a nurse, yet I am assessed by other nurses who sit in offices...off the floor. My job is to make the Emergency Doctors more efficient, I am the patients advocate, I have the knowledge to triage and ensure Emergency care is given appropriately. I am very efficient and competent at what I do. ASK the DOCTORS about the performance of Emergency Nurses- and contribute this into PAD's. I get thanks from doctors daily. Some consultants I have used assertive persuasion, to change drug orders- weekly at least. Yet, my NUM has never complimented me over the 18 months I have worked here. That makes me SAD. I challenge my ANUM to stick by my side for any shift....then make all the assumptions she would like.

10. Business Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caloundra (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caloundra (Australia)

I worked at Queensland Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with good staff locally.

Cons

Management that is fractured, inconsistent and bossy.

Advice to Management

Good management is good management all the time.

11. Excellent opportunities!

I have been working at Queensland Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to specialised and further your career. Good PD program and support to be your best

Cons

Same as any government organisation - red tape and lengthy processes

RSS Feed </> Embed