Quest Diagnostics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Quest Diagnostics CEO Steve Rusckowski

Steve Rusckowski

Pros:
  • "Good benefits,good salary,lots of training and opportunities for advancement"
    in 40 reviews
  • "The company offers great benefits and salaries are pretty competitive for new hires"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management doesn't care how bad the conditions are for their employees"
    in 15 reviews
  • "No room for advancement and management not too great"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Quest Diagnostics

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics

ProsThe benefits they offer are great.

ConsDirection company is headed...down-sizing

One of the best places to work.

Phlebotomist Ll (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Quest Diagnostics as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits,good salary,lots of training and opportunities for advancement.

ConsA need for more phlebotomist

Great company nationally...not so much in Colorado

Sales and Service (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time

ProsGreat lab services and results. Fantastically skilled phlebotomists. Many patient-focused folks in all departments. The people on the ground level are hard-working, service-oriented, collaborative, and very knowledgeable (and most have great dispositions!)...so are the upper levels but politics gets in the way.
Great reputation amongst healthcare providers for timely, accurate results and responsive, effective customer service.

ConsManagement does not want to hear the truth when it comes to constructive criticism and customer-based solutions even if the intent is to create a better product/company...if you are not the constant pompom shaking cheerleader with the Kool-Aid mustache then you are out. Regional management wants a hierarchy of communication and access, wants to fit another industry's model into this one, and wants unwavering loyalty and respect although not yet earned.
Also...compensation is low comparable to other companies and other related business areas.
Colorado market and ops always seems to be the sacrificial lamb to gains attained for other Quest markets across the nation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice and feedback resulted in me be invited to see myself to the door so....

Solid company with good benefits

Medical Technologist (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConsistent work environment, good benefits.

ConsCutting down on FTEs as profits dwindle

Loyal to long time employees

Senior Implementation Analyst (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsQuest was very employee oriented until recently. I enjoyed my time there very much

ConsThe senior management has to realize that everything is not about numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your long time employees. Do not count on numbers to tell everything

leave exhausted every day

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgreat people,benefits a pretty good

Consoverworked, no collaboration between depts or management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around and get involved with the little guy. You don't really know what's going on

Bought out local company

Phlebotmist (Current Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPretty good pay. Good and improving company.

ConsSince the local lab buy-out, a lot of changes have been made. Lost a few contracts. Not a smooth transition. On the upside, it weeded out some of the difficult coworkers. Quest does care about their employees unless you have an incident... then it's difficult to prove it wasn't your own fault.

Excellent technology, poor technical staff

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCo-workers
Technology
Location
Free coffee
Good mixture of cultures

ConsThey will hire anyone as long as they have a biology degree, even if they have no laboratory experience. Very poor management, only there to collect a paycheck. There are techs that have been there for 20+ years that know absolutely NOTHING. Cafeteria food stinks.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back AML

Managed department of 15 that assisted and resolved customer issues.

Customer Solutions Manager (Former Employee)
San Juan Capistrano, CA

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to work at my own pace, my Director was very effective but when new management was brought onboard they created a structure that was less than effective and built a house made of sticks. Which eventually collapsed.

ConsIneffective management, employees create issues within departments and nothing is ever done about it. The Indians burning down the village mentality and there is no effective training in place nor resolution to the negativity that lingers through the corridors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Steve Rusckowski, since he has taken over and tried to reformulate the structure the company has lost its rhythm and several clients have migrated to other companies due to inefficient management placement.

There is no hope.

Master Black Belt (Former Employee)

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people with whom I worked. Knowing my work had meaning to other people [patients and physicians]. Good benefits and reasonable compensation. Challenging with the opportunity to grow; opportunities for promotion locally but not much between local to corporate.

ConsIn the 2000s executive management failed to move forward with operational integration and standardization between former SBCL and existing Quest Diagnostic laboratories. The grew primarily via acquisition and continued postponing integration. This situation lead to waste, redundancy and complexity that drove up operating costs. Both of these issues require a substantial amount of time to remedy and there was no willingness to invest in operations in ways that may not be immediately apparent to the bottom line. Short sighted quarter by quarter management only sustained a wasteful laboratory network in which two or more substantially sized laboratories were located within short flyable distances and in a few cases within 2-4 hours driving distance. Executives were so concerned about loosing business they allowed these redundant and expensive operations to continue rather than consolidating laboratory locations. Their greatest asset was their people but they took the easy way out of financial trouble by laying off employees for 4-5 years, gutting the organization of valuable "tribal knowledge" and loyal people many of which had worked for Quest for more than 20 years. Now they have a new, hopefully more efficient organizational structure, that eliminated my position. It is yet to be seen if new executive management will be successful.
I suspect that if they are, the company will most likely be sold, filling their pockets with cash and options, while everyone else gets to cope with yet another merger in which more people with loose their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop killing the goose that lays the golden eggs by reducing their resources to nearly impossible to manage reductions in force. DO the consolidations and standardize operations that should have been done 15 years ago. Use the Lean Six Sigma knowledge and skill within organization to ensure standard work is established and hold managers and directors accountable for maintaining it. Build on that to reduce cost and improve quality. LISTEN to the line employees, supervisors and leaders, they know what isn't working. Fix it for them.

Worked for Quest Diagnostics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Quest Diagnostics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Quest Diagnostics CEO Steve Rusckowski. All 387 reviews posted anonymously by Quest Diagnostics employees.