Quest Diagnostics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Quest Diagnostics CEO Steve Rusckowski

Steve Rusckowski

Pros
  • Good benefits,good salary,lots of training and opportunities for advancement(in 47 reviews)

• The company offers great benefits and salaries are pretty competitive for new hires(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • bad upper management- never did get to see or meet manager for my site(in 20 reviews)

• Work / life balance is way out of whack, working from home means you're available 24 x 7(in 9 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A company in transition.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsLarge national presence and interesting work.

ConsPolitical corporate America, No job security or work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the technology required to integrate the business.

Corporate office needs an overhaul

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsIt's amazing to be part of a company that does something so great for society. The people doing the work in the labs and offices deserve all the credit, and are very hardworking. The benefits are pretty good and they're starting to implement more health initiatives for employees which is great. The people are very nice and it's not a cutthroat culture.

ConsThe corporate offices are separated into two groups: Those who have been here for 20 or more years, and those who are here 6-18 months. There is a very clear divide. Those who have been here don't want to change and evolve (hence why the technology is so far behind the rest of the world). Those who are new ask themselves what planet they are on within the first week of joining. Quest really needs to get it together and evolve. There is no career advancement or opportunity in many groups, and a lot of hierarchy (even though the CEO tried to eliminate that, many people still talk down to "lower grades"). Some of the managers are absolutely horrible and demeaning, with some yelling at their employees. There is no work-life fit here - managers are "old school" in the sense they believe in face time. You can sit all day and twiddle your thumbs, and as long as you are physically there, they love it. If you're looking for a job you can stay in forever and just "get by", this is certainly the place. If you're looking to be in an innovative place, with people who want to be part of the growth and success, you won't stay long.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. You should look at middle management (L3s/L4s) and do an overhaul. There are people in those roles that are completely incompetent. It all stems from the top down - the reason so many people have left is because of the management. There is a lot of talk about higher performing teams and a collaborative culture, but that's certainly not the case in Madison.

Good Company, Good People but S..T..R..E..T..C..H..E..D

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsThe company has very high quality people who are committed to serving patients and a menu of services that can make a difference.
    The culture is one of high jntegrity

ConsToday, resources are stretched beyond their capabilities. Cost cutting efforts have gone too far.
    The company is great at operations and cost cutting but poor at driving growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the ratio of employees to Supervisors (particularly in the field).
    Invest more in your people - it's a people business and that is what will deliver service

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Endless opportunities to grow as an individual and professionally.

Marketing (Current Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsThe ability to grow within the organization, knowledgeable colleagues, caring environment.

ConsThere is a disconnect between Sales and Operations.

Was once a great company. Cutting away your front line,long term employees for the sake of profit is never a good thing.

Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsBenefits are ok, they were a lot better before the restructure. Amount of time off is good, attendance policy was tough before, now just rediculous.

ConsMoving management to departments/jobs they have never supervised or have ever done themselves. Management not knowing basic job duties/guidelines for the departments they are managing. Absolutely no support from supervisors. New HR department that has been outsourced from our business unit knows nothing,absolutely no help. They do not know the employment laws of your state or your job responsibilities/description. It's; "we'll get back to you" and, they don't. You are truly on your own. Hiring temps with little experience to avoid paying benefits. Also, not hiring for new positions from with in. Hiring temps to avoid paying long term employee wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire management that are/have done our jobs! Do not spread management so thin, that urgent issues/situations never get the attention they deserve and/or never get handled at all. (Patients have taken notice and are not happy.) Do not shove overtime down employees throats that cannot do it, but tell others in the same department/job capasity they cannot have it. Favortism is very obvious. I thought I would have retired from this company, my talents are now being appreciated elsewhere (for better pay.) You are losing your core employees, a recipe for disaster. Bring back the company we once would brag about working for! : (

Not recommended

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsExciting science and opportunity to apply to clinical medicine
    Corporate scale gives interesting opportunities to see multiple business functions
    Opportunity to make a difference on a large scale
    Genuinely intelligent coworkers

ConsMatrix organization is heavily siloed and creates adversarial relationships between functions
    Cutthroat, bureaucratic political environment emphasizes shifting blame and empire building
    Upper management is tone deaf and dismissive of the rank & file's needs
    Unclear and constantly shifting performance expectations
    Mediocre pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHire high character individuals
    Take more risks with the business--growth lags competitors

Quest is outsourcing their IT

IT Professional (Current Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsThere are none at this point.

ConsCompany is in a downward spiral and there are no long-term IT jobs avaiable

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another job!

Confused

Marketing Director (Former Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsDecent benefits and reasonable pay

ConsHR is worthless, you are at the mercy of your manager.

Good working environment, nice people

Statistics Intern (Current Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsPeople you are working with are very nice and friendly and helpful, and as an intern, the working load is not that much at Quest. My supervisor is a master in this area but still very open to all perceptions and views. And they are very willing to share their experience with you.

ConsGreat to work with many experts in this field but almost no colleagues of my age at my department in Quest's headquarter building. And the work for an intern is not that challengeable.

I can't believe it!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, NJ

ProsOne important pro is that at least we had or have a job. Have a medical plan(not sure for how long, every year it gets worse).

ConsLow salary. Little if any, room for advancement or career development. Ambitious, self motivation, assertiveness, having initiative not accepted in a positive manner. Ideas and suggestions taken offensively instead of constructively. Get prepared for retaliation or getting black-balled. Benefits are disappearing slowly but surely. Job security for the peons not so secure. Do not get hurt on the job, they'll treat you like some kind of criminal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the incompetent Senior Management currently sinking the company. Replace managers and supervisors, who have no idea how to manage or deal with employees who have obtain the positions because of their physical appearance, by who they know or because of their race. Listen to your employees. Implement a grievance committee, not just the cheqline, made up of non-management employees, where employees can file a complain or voice a complain with the fear of being retaliated against. STOP treating the employees like small children. Treat us as adults.

Worked for Quest Diagnostics? Contribute to the Community!