Quest Diagnostics

Steve Rusckowski

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company, Good People but S..T..R..E..T..C..H..E..D

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company has very high quality people who are committed to serving patients and a menu of services that can make a difference.
The culture is one of high jntegrity

ConsToday, resources are stretched beyond their capabilities. Cost cutting efforts have gone too far.
The company is great at operations and cost cutting but poor at driving growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the ratio of employees to Supervisors (particularly in the field).
Invest more in your people - it's a people business and that is what will deliver service

Endless opportunities to grow as an individual and professionally.

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than a year

ProsThe ability to grow within the organization, knowledgeable colleagues, caring environment.

ConsThere is a disconnect between Sales and Operations.

Was once a great company. Cutting away your front line,long term employees for the sake of profit is never a good thing.

Laboratory Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are ok, they were a lot better before the restructure. Amount of time off is good, attendance policy was tough before, now just rediculous.

ConsMoving management to departments/jobs they have never supervised or have ever done themselves. Management not knowing basic job duties/guidelines for the departments they are managing. Absolutely no support from supervisors. New HR department that has been outsourced from our business unit knows nothing,absolutely no help. They do not know the employment laws of your state or your job responsibilities/description. It's; "we'll get back to you" and, they don't. You are truly on your own. Hiring temps with little experience to avoid paying benefits. Also, not hiring for new positions from with in. Hiring temps to avoid paying long term employee wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire management that are/have done our jobs! Do not spread management so thin, that urgent issues/situations never get the attention they deserve and/or never get handled at all. (Patients have taken notice and are not happy.) Do not shove overtime down employees throats that cannot do it, but tell others in the same department/job capasity they cannot have it. Favortism is very obvious. I thought I would have retired from this company, my talents are now being appreciated elsewhere (for better pay.) You are losing your core employees, a recipe for disaster. Bring back the company we once would brag about working for! : (

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not recommended

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than a year

ProsExciting science and opportunity to apply to clinical medicine
Corporate scale gives interesting opportunities to see multiple business functions
Opportunity to make a difference on a large scale
Genuinely intelligent coworkers

ConsMatrix organization is heavily siloed and creates adversarial relationships between functions
Cutthroat, bureaucratic political environment emphasizes shifting blame and empire building
Upper management is tone deaf and dismissive of the rank & file's needs
Unclear and constantly shifting performance expectations
Mediocre pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHire high character individuals
Take more risks with the business--growth lags competitors

Quest is outsourcing their IT

IT Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are none at this point.

ConsCompany is in a downward spiral and there are no long-term IT jobs avaiable

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another job!

Confused

Marketing Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent benefits and reasonable pay

ConsHR is worthless, you are at the mercy of your manager.

Good working environment, nice people

Statistics Intern (Current Employee)
Madison, NJ

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople you are working with are very nice and friendly and helpful, and as an intern, the working load is not that much at Quest. My supervisor is a master in this area but still very open to all perceptions and views. And they are very willing to share their experience with you.

ConsGreat to work with many experts in this field but almost no colleagues of my age at my department in Quest's headquarter building. And the work for an intern is not that challengeable.

I can't believe it!

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOne important pro is that at least we had or have a job. Have a medical plan(not sure for how long, every year it gets worse).

ConsLow salary. Little if any, room for advancement or career development. Ambitious, self motivation, assertiveness, having initiative not accepted in a positive manner. Ideas and suggestions taken offensively instead of constructively. Get prepared for retaliation or getting black-balled. Benefits are disappearing slowly but surely. Job security for the peons not so secure. Do not get hurt on the job, they'll treat you like some kind of criminal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the incompetent Senior Management currently sinking the company. Replace managers and supervisors, who have no idea how to manage or deal with employees who have obtain the positions because of their physical appearance, by who they know or because of their race. Listen to your employees. Implement a grievance committee, not just the cheqline, made up of non-management employees, where employees can file a complain or voice a complain with the fear of being retaliated against. STOP treating the employees like small children. Treat us as adults.

There is opportunity for process improvement however some of the senior management in finance are 'long in the tooth'

I worked at Quest Diagnostics

Prosstrong community involvement, sense of pride, life work balance, leading edge in the field of medical technology.

Consinsanity is doing the same thing and expecting the same results, the corporate controller runs the same playbook for 30 years and hasn't evolved

tenure-driven, reactive organization

Human Resource (Current Employee)

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics

Pros- the people are great to work with
 - work-life balance

Cons- senior management
 - very tactical organization
 - technology is way behind
 - tenure driven
 - compensation is below industry level

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO buried the company to the ground.

Worked for Quest Diagnostics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Quest Diagnostics reviews and ratings in Madison, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Quest Diagnostics CEO Steve Rusckowski. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Quest Diagnostics employees.