Quest Diagnostics

Updated November 23, 2014
2.9

Quest Diagnostics CEO Steve Rusckowski
Steve Rusckowski

Pros
  • Good benefits that include education reimbursement (in 59 reviews)

• company has great benefits, flexible vacation days, bonuses once a year (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • bad upper management- never did get to see or meet manager for my site (in 27 reviews)

• Work / life balance is way out of whack, working from home means you're available 24 x 7 (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Change in business climate

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and reps you work with are awesome, hard working and really sharp. They know their business.

Cons

Corporate infighting, upper management posturing and looking at how to make fewer reps do more of the work affecting the relationships with clients

Bring back the specialists.

Quest refernece

Former Employee - MT (ASCP) in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - MT (ASCP) in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The are Job openings available often

Cons

Not a lot of room for career development past tech level.

Good place to get a start and learn to handle volume.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Quest Diagnostics

Pros

Pay is not very bad

Cons

Very poor management. Understaffed and overworked.

Hire better managers and supervisors

Quest.

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at this facility gave me an opportunity to gain a great amount of work experience in the phlebotomy and offered good pay as well as work hours.

Cons

Working at quest was a pretty good work opportunity for me however some co workers were a bit rude and were not very team orientated.

Promotion of more teamwork and better communication skills for the employees.

Underpaid, no career advancement, no future.

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot. Most employees are pleasant. The volume is high, so laboratory jobs are secure. Flexibility is great. College reimbursement for classes. If you want security for a no good job, get hired here as a lab tech, they will never fire you no matter how many mistakes you make or insubordinate you prove to be.

Cons

Management has their head in the clouds. Overwork and underpaid techs. No promotion opportunities, even for the best most competent individuals in the department. If opportunity is available, they prefer to hire outside or different Quest lab because they don't know who they are hiring. They tend to hire incompetent leaders who "say the right things" but do nothing. Management talks to staff like they want to help bring you into management, but don't help you get anywhere. Don't think about asking for a promotion, raise, bump up in salary, a laughable feat. Supervisors claim to want staff input, but make outrageous, silly decisions on their own with no input. Incompetent techs are not challenged to stop and are motivated to continue making mistakes and being a problem. Management doesn't know how to discipline technical problem individuals. Management says one thing and does another. They fired one supervisor for incompetence, then hired another one just like her. The list goes on...

Hire from within. Do your employees justice. Get rid of incompetent techs. Appreciate your outstanding techs by allowing them to move up or at least pay them more. Stop hiring people from other places (and other Quests) when people in-house have applied for the positions. Make your supervisors adhere to same standards as techs. And for Christ's sake, get up off the computer sometime and look around.

Reorganization Times Two

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics

Pros

Flexible Work Environment
    Great People
    Interesting IT Projects

Cons

Second Reorganization in 18 Months
    Key Contributors Leaving or Laid Off

Stop shuffling chess pieces and start allowing teams to focus on doing great work.

Getting worse by the day...

Current Employee - Medical Technologist
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible start time
    Good amount of paid time off (if you are allowed to use it)
    Co-workers are hard working, have integrity, and really care about quality.

Cons

I used to feel proud and even lucky to work here. When I first started, it really seemed like they cared about the employees and were actually focused on patient quality. With all the recent changes however, it seems like management is only focused on numbers rather than what is really going on. We've lost a ton of employees that are not being replaced. We are not allowed to have one minute of overtime for the week, even though our department had minimal overtime to begin with. This had resulted in backlogs of tests and many client complaints. They are cutting corners at every turn from staffing to supplies. My health care has gotten more expensive every year, deductibles have basically doubled for three years in a row. People are not rewarded for working more efficiently, they are just given more work, while the slower employees get away with doing less and less. Raises and bonuses have been bad and getting worse for the past five years. HR has been outsourced and from what I've heard are not easy to get a hold of or deal with. IT help desk is idiotic, you have to call a centralized number to put in a ticket, to have them call the guys one floor down, who come up and fix the problem in two seconds, only it took three days in real time.

Management is often unavailable when you have questions and they treat each other badly. Direct supervisor won't stand up for us because of politics. Didn't used to be the case but our old supervisor was forced out of their job into a department they didn't want to work in. Management are constantly in meetings discussing productivity numbers and pilot programs and a bunch of other nonsense instead of being on the floor seeing what is really going on. No real room for advancement, even though they tout that principle all the time. Will exploit employees by having them do tasks that should be come with higher pay but not actually paying them more. Upper management making decisions about things they have no experience with, making things worse.

The work is tedious. People are trained on several different tests but most often are only scheduled to do one thing for months or years at at time. Complaints are met with what seems to be concern and a promise to fix the problem, but it never changes. It's intensely frustrating to work here any more.

Quit trying to fix what isn't broken. Allow some overtime to prevent backlog of testing or hire more people. Stop focusing on metrics that are an inaccurate reflection of the reality of the situation. Realize that if your employees are miserable, they aren't going to go the extra mile. Also realize, that if you keep taking away everything that is good about working here, people are going to start leaving.

SAVE OUR EMPLOYEES

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Our TOP TIME Package is decent

Cons

Ceo lives in Canda not and now layin off many employees as they shut down call centers with a few work at home reps, Management is the worse there is poor morale with in the company , What use to be the best place to work a leader in industry with benefits which has not changed instead of being a LEADER we are becoming FOLLOWERS to what other companies do in the industries, Everything is a big secret Why doesnt the CEO take a cut in pay and save some jobs ? Why not give decent raises instead of 25Cents to compensate the Cost of living ? Why do most of your employees have to work 2 jobs and work for our competitors as a 2nd job this should not be no employee should have to work 2 jobs to live most of the employees in Customer service make low $30's K a year. I place a challenge to our CEO to live off of our $16 to $18 dollars a hour support a house hold kids food travel expenses gas and electric

Be People friendly care about your employees

All companies are build on the backs of employees and all employees are so UN appreciated

a HAPPY EMPLOYEE IS A LOYAL EMPLOYEE

Good

Former Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist in San Juan Capistrano, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist in San Juan Capistrano, CA

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They petition equal opportunity to everybody and flexible

Cons

A lot of work although manageable most of the time

Some managers dont have a good work ethics

Learning experience

Former Employee - Forensic Scientist One in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Forensic Scientist One in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are good in nature

Cons

politics of the company are not ideal

Think before you decide