Quest Software

www.quest.com

Quest Software Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Quest Software – US – “Quest team”

Quest Software – US – “Quest team”

Quest Software Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good if you decided not to evolve in the company (in 6 reviews)

• Some very good people in the right places (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lot of dead weight middle management (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management is convinced that money is not important at all for engineers (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Needed to be acquired!

Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsQuest had good people to work with. They were very supportive of personal time (work/life balance was good). Would definitely work with that group of people again.

ConsTrying to reach into market segments where they had no business being. Their foray into desktop virtualization is a disaster. Same for virtualization management and cloud computing. It's not that they had bad products - simply that management seemed only interested in the maintenance tail and not in enhancing the products to keep them relevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementSELL! Which they did. I'm hoping that Dell will enable the Quest team to spread their wings and do great things...

Great Culture

Named Account Manager (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsGreat company culture and hope it doesn't change

ConsQuest needs to evolve the solutions in to cloud. Technology is a bit dated now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let what's happening change the Greatness of Quest

Pretty bad management wasting precious opportunities

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInnovative products that are part of the portfolio
    No Micro management leads to relatively greater freedom

ConsScant attention from management barring Quarterly Sales Review
    No strategic input from management on company direction

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good company to work for.

Presales (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsCutting Edge technology and room for growth

ConsMany levels of management exist.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good workplace. Lots of change.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsGood people
    Good environment and culture
    Open to process improvement
    Great software products

ConsRapid changes in focus
    Lots of products can be confusing to customers

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get back some of the corp. culture that was there a few years ago.

Incompetence from management leads to severe stress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsFree fruit, decent pay, casual dress

Consthe person running my dept. was intimidated by anyone who knew more than him, and would go out of his way to nitpick your work.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of certain middle managers. There is a visible dept. that WILL NOT grow until this person is gone. This guy got rid of the person who created the most successful piece of work to come from the entire dept. over typos. Literally.

Good

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Lindon, UT

ProsCasual dress, relaxed atmosphere, somewhat flexible work arrangements. Industry-standard benefits (health, dental, vision). Reasonable degree of freedom in engineering. Projects are resourced sufficiently. Bonuses are available in some positions.

ConsNot much culture, despite occasional attempts to boost employee involvement. Sales-focused to a fault, with lacking investment in R&D. Small teams result in good cohesion but limit innovation. No bonuses for most R&D positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the importance of engineering to the company and whether it has sufficient investment.

Senior management who doesn't care - "Kim"

Support Engineer (Former Employee) Buffalo Grove, IL

Proswork from home 2 days a week

ConsNo ethical values towards employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect managers are ok. Senior Management should not make heist decisions based on strictly $ and #'s.

Needs better leadership

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsGreat flex hours, let you work remote from home. Have fruit as a perk and a kourig coffee machine.

ConsSome managers are inept and even abusive but because upper management is so disconnected, the status quo continues. This company could easily be a $3billion firm but there is a lack of leadership at the top and competing priorities that pit departments against each other for resources. This internal competition hurts the entire company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper leadership needs to be more involved. i never saw the CEO, VP's, etc. come and talk to any of the staff - they only interacted with a handful of people and ignored the rest.

Temp working at Quest

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsCasual work environment
    free coffee, tea and fruit

ConsThey do not promote within. Applying for jobs via the internal Quest website is of zero use since the recruiters are only incentivized to hire "non quest" employees (and yes apparently that includes contract workers). So the recruiters simply throw your application away if your applying via the internal site. It's very frustrating and took me six months to figure this out after applying for a job several times before going directly to the hiring managers of which they had no clue about my interest or ever seen my resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy not promote within?

Worked for Quest Software? Contribute to the Community!