QuestPoint Reviews

2.9
Kai Hankinson

1. Great Learning Opportunity

I worked at QuestPoint

Pros

Unlimited Potential
    Excellent Pay and Benefits
    Awesome Collaboration

Cons

The future was never certain. Business model was not fit for long term success.

Comfortable Chaos

I worked at QuestPoint

Pros

The benefits were phenomenal but with the company constantly slipping into some sort of peril or uncertainty, it seems like it would have made more sense for them to forgo some of the absurd perks to at least make a show of some spending constraint and foresight.

Cons

What they liked to call fast paced was just disorganization and a lack of a solid long term plan. They'd throw ideas around like pasta at the wall and hope for something that stuck. When it inevitably failed, they'd throw the ideas around again.

Advice to Management

People need a job more than they need endless perks. The transition that was made into a more open and transparent company was nice but when everything else stays the same, I'm not sure that matters.

When their brand comes under fire, they change their names, fire employees, create new sites and keep operating.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at QuestPoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

What they don't share with you in the interview:

The Creepy Ad Firm That's Charging Top Brands For YouTube Ads That Aren't Supposed To Exist

Locked Out by Exchanges, SSPs

Still Injecting Ads. Video Advertisers, Beware

Cons

Operating under: Sterkly, Yontoo, Questpoint, Admatter, Agree and countless more alternate company names to dupe Web users into installing plug ins on their computers that infect your computer without knowledge or permission.

Expect high turn over, unstable job security

A self-interested and ineffective HR

A lack of morale (still masked by cushy perks)

Advice to Management

What management ?

Dont EVER work here...

I worked at QuestPoint

Pros

Zero. House of cards. Weird management. They hire you and let you go in a matter of weeks. Shady.

Cons

Horrible management, they apparently laid off a huge portion of the staff after I left. Because of horrible decisions by management, people were svapegoats and let go. I left a great job to work here and it lasted only 1.5 months. They come up with excuses to shave cost and let people go. NEVER EVER recommend anyone work here.

Advice to Management

Resign

Great company in bad industry

I worked at QuestPoint full-time

Pros

Great culture, cool cutting edge technology and smart people. Fast paced environment that changes constantly. High performance and results oriented.

Cons

Very volatile industry (especially sterkly download business) that has powerful enemies, as evidenced by two layoffs of over 60% of the company in two years.

An Interesting Experience - Review from a Former Employee

I worked at QuestPoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Putting my thoughts on the internets about QuestPoint. Here's the low-down without all the BS (that includes the glowing reviews too).

Smart coworkers segmented into small groups living that scrum life. Very tech-savvy company - no desk phones - and tools provided for your success in whatever your role is, no questions asked.

You are essentially allowed to come and go as you please, unlimited vacation time, provided the work you were hired to do is completed.

Great environment, yes they have snacks/catered food/etc, which seems to be a highly contentious 'perk' in the negative reviews here, but have you lived in Carlsbad? The time it would take leave the office, go downstairs, get into your car, drive to the very-limited fast food places in the area, wait in line with everyone else, wait for food, eat, drive back to the office and back to your desk... yeah. Free food is kind of a perk, but if anything, I'm sure it pays for itself because I would typically eat for 20 minutes and spend the rest of my lunch hour working. And Jesus yes there is a ping pong table, who cares. I was there for a year and never picked up a paddle. I saw maybe six people use this over 12 months.

Cons

Transparency is a big part of QP, and leading up to late June, it was clear times were harder than they were six months ago. I got swept up in a 50+ person layoff. That is a pretty big con, but I ended up getting a similar paying gig that I would have never qualified for, without my experience at QP. So thanks?

Advice to Management

Get into mobile. Close the gaps in your teams.

Got Business Model ? Is is Spam?

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at QuestPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard work, no work life balance, junk food, expanding waist lines . immense stress. Dirty politics. Only join if you are desperate to get a job.

Cons

I am surprised that nobody mentions why the companies so called 'business model' is a disaster. Their business model is so bad the company had to rename itself 4 times.

Advice to Management

Got Ethics? Heard of morality?

Doesn't feel like there's a plan

I worked at QuestPoint

Pros

- High Pay
    - Cushy Benefits
    - A lot of smart people around you

Cons

Company recently had a mass layoff due to lack of cashflow. Some people who were laid off had been hired less than two weeks before. If cashflow was a risk, why continue hiring? Seems like a lack of foresight to me.

Advice to Management

Think ahead more.

Tumultuous culture, layoffs, inconsistent leadership, but "perks" galore

I worked at QuestPoint full-time

Pros

Snacks and drinks, free lunch, some good team members. Fancy/abundant parties and celebrations.
    Salaries are very good, close to top of market for some roles.

Cons

This used to be the best company I'd ever worked for. There was so much opportunity for upward mobility, as well as smart colleagues, solid leadership, and the desire to improve communication. MUCH has changed over the last three years.

Change is constant in life, and something that many companies face, but volatility is a better descriptor of QuestPoint (I mean, Sambreel. I mean, Finial, I mean Yontoo). The company has transitioned names, leadership, and direction so many times that they've begun a true tail spin...a swirly in the toilet bowl. They've now laid off over 60% of their employees TWICE in less than three years. And of course, no warning. After the first came a promise to be "transparent" with new leadership in place. Transparency seemed real and consistent with monthly or semi-monthly all-hands stand ups. But there's only so much transparency the leadership would actually provide, as many of the executives said behind closed doors. And they certainly were not transparent about the most recent layoffs. And for the last six months, employees have been dropping like flies - they left (some with no new job lined up), they were laid off, they were fired. Whatever the reason, the turnover is HIGH.

Perks seem so great at the beginning. Unlimited/results oriented paid time off?? Too good to be true? Uh, yeah. It really is. "Unlimited" is completely up to the discretion of the manager, and there is a ton of discrepancy throughout the company - some people are strongly discouraged from taking a measly two weeks of vacation, if any. Oh, and what this also means is you don't get any vacation time paid out in said layoff.

The future of this company is questionable at best. The decisions being made continue to be poor, and the layoffs and turnover reflect that. I am sure that the leadership, including and especially the CEO did not want to layoff anyone. There is much sincerity in that feeling. But the decision to attempt a new business strategy failed and they are scrambling to recover with a bare-bones staff who will have to pick up the pieces, as well as several other responsibilities, all while pretending to be happy about it because they don't want to lose their livelihood as well. It's a shame what has happened at this company. It was a truly magical place once, but as we all know, magic is not real, nor does it last.

Do not leave your current job to work for this company. The salary and perks are shiny at first, but wear thin with a suffering morale and culture, unreasonable expectations, as well as some questionable executives and dismal future prospects.

Advice to Management

Very few companies are immune to marketplace changes. There is no blame for that. These things happen. But if you say something is going to change, the culture matters, the people matter, and transparency will be the focus, don't blind-side everyone again with another huge layoff. Have the decency to warn them. If people jump ship, who cares? You were going to lay them off anyway!

Figure out what the heck you're going to do with the business. If there is no future for the company, stand up and admit it. Let your few remaining people start looking for a new job and leave with dignity instead of dragging everyone into the ground with you.

Hard work is rewarded. Honesty is appreciated. Employees are respected.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at QuestPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Much has been said of the culture, the perks, the atmosphere which are all AMAZING! Not enough has been said about the "ask and you shall receive" quality that is rare. As a former employee who has been through 2 layoffs I can only praise the company. The nature of any industry or any job is up and down and adjustments must be made and that can be hard. Have you ever worked for a company and asked them to please be honest with you? Were they? QuestPoint is. Feedback is praised, even if it's negative. Any conflict is an opportunity to change and do it better. We asked for accountability, we got it. We asked for transparency and it was given, even if the news wasn't what we wanted to hear. Most companies wouldn't even let you know. We were informed constantly. Approximately every 2 weeks.

It is unfortunate to have to read any negativity from anyone. Anyone saying anything negative should be ashamed. Knowing they were paid above industry standards. Knowing that benefits were covered and then some. Knowing that they weren't micromanaged and driven into the ground as some replaceable commodity. People didn't even have to provide their own food. The company works hard to take care of people to the best of their ability. If people stopped shopping at a store would that store be able to continue paying hundreds of employees? If that was the case, wouldn't you like to be told honestly right away?

QuestPoint cares - plain and simple. Caring in today's work force is so rare that I may never see the likes of that treatment again. Fight hard to get a job here. Bring your "A" game everyday. The stench of BS is detected a mile away. Know that you will work with awesome people that are working as hard as you, otherwise they wouldn't be there or won't be there much longer.

Cons

The nature of the industry. Working in any digital/internet/software related field people must be agile with the ebb and flow. When one thing doesn't work or has run it's course, it can take some time to pivot - that can mean long hours, hard work when you're already working hard and of course in the worst case - layoffs. These are the negatives of any industry.

Another con is that no matter how hard management works to kill politics, rumors, and general pithy behavior in their culture - people take themselves wherever they go. It takes one negative person or outlook to start poisoning a company from the inside. Due to their approach of responsibility with accountability it can take some time to weed out these bad seeds. Don't let that poison you. If you have a complaint - then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. It's called work for a reason, you are expected to work. Don't whine, provide solutions.

Advice to Management

Keep going. Keep learning. Keep teaching. Keep listening and responding - it is very appreciated. I am sad to go, and honored to have worked for and with you. Thanks for leading by example.