Questar Assessment Reviews

Reset
3.3
Jamie Candee

1. Growing Fun & Challenging Company

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career advancement and opportunity to pursue new roles and responsibilities exist within Questar. New management asks that employees work creatively and efficiently and think outside the box in regard to the way things are done. It is a fast paced work environment.

Cons

If you like doing the same thing the same way this is not the place for you. Questar management pushes employees to think different and problem solve.

Advice to Management

Be connected to the folks doing the work. Not all of your decision will be seen as favorable so take the time to let employees understand and internalize the context and rationale.

HR writing fluff reviews due to recent press; take with grain of salt

I worked at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

Great Location Well-Educated, Nice Employees Pool Table & Couches Bi-Annual Company Parties

Cons

Benefits laughable Employees very overworked - overnights and weekends commonly Pay normally less than market across the board Procedural expertise isolated to select few within every department (if lucky), can be exhausting and frustrating Substantial shifts in operations over last couple years, many vital long-time staff fed up and left Poor company morale, trending down as a result of empty promises by management Shockingly unprepared for most test emergencies

Exciting time to be at a fun company

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company that's changing so it can jump ahead of its competitors - so it's a very agile environment where employees can all contribute. Fast-paced, open culture where people can work hard, have fun, and grow a lot.

Cons

Office isn't centrally located - some employees have a lengthy commute.

Advice to Management

It's a strong leadership team with a clear vision of company direction and future ... the company is standing out in the industry, so stay the course, and keep driving ahead.

Reader

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, MN

Pros

Challenging and interesting work. Project Managers treat you with respect, and workplace is professional. Great coworkers too!

Cons

Assignments are not available to all who are qualified.

Advice to Management

Increase sales and retake your market.v

project manager

I worked at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and close to home friendly environment at the time I was there. Company has been bought out

Cons

The pay and raises was just ok. Issues not addressed until notice was given. Some cliquishness in the team environment. Most people were salaried with 40+hours

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

Progressive ideas, poor execution, no foresight

I worked at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

Great worker bees. Wonderful memories of a company that used to value their clients and their employees. Loved my coworkers.

Cons

Too many chiefs in way over their heads. Let go many of the best and the brightest last July-the people with the experience, positive reputations, and contacts/relationships to move us forward. Remaining management got rid of people who they felt would not support their "new direction." However, it also left them without the knowledge and experience base to maintain the high standards we had always provided. What they really did was to eliminate anyone who would ask questions and not just blindly follow.

Advice to Management

You have created an atmosphere of anxiety because most of the people who did not lose their job last July are in constant fear of losing them now- either by being fired or because the company will go under. Many if us jumped switch when we saw the writing on the wall. Take care of the people you have left. Ask questions and really listen to the answers.

Making a difference, one score at a time

Current Employee - Reader in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Reader in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pt opportunity for anyone with a BA degree! I've worked in the seasonal scoring department for 5 years and plan to continue as long as they will have me. I work at the Apple Valley location. Friendly and approachable project managers Excellent training and tech help Culture that demands high performance, challenges your thinking, inspires you to do even better FUN environment: high praise, team activities, stretch breaks, book swaps, and foodie nights EXCELLENT hourly compensation. If you're looking for extra income, this is the place.

Cons

Project managers from other locations could learn a trick or two about respect and training from the top notch project leaders at AV. There are 1-2 that I would not consider working for on future projects. Career note: Questar promotes from within, but I'm not aware of how to move up in the scoring center area. Senior Mngmt note: only 4 stars due to very limited interaction. They seem highly knowledgeable and engaging when they make rounds.

Advice to Management

Evening staff would truly appreciate having a clean place to eat our dinners or have breaks. I understand the need to coordinate with custodial staff, but the evening areas are often grungy and unsanitary with food, water, and spills everywhere in the break rooms and bathrooms.

Atmosphere of a start-up within the structure of a well-established company

Current Employee - IT in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - IT in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

In general, the people are great to work with and really want to do the right thing. While the leadership is new, they bring with them solid outside experience. There is a renewed focus on the company mission and vision while recognizing the need to modernize and diversity. This is opening up a world of opportunities.

Cons

As with any company that undergoes major organizational changes, there is a ripple effect of uncertainly and perhaps even anxiety. That said, the atmosphere of "starting over" is energizing. But for many people change is anything BUT energizing. If one finds themselves in the latter category, I recommend they assess if they need to either change their attitude or change their career.

Advice to Management

Be cognizant that changing a culture and business vision takes diligence and time - continue to infuse the vision into the DNA of the company

Excellent company to work for.

Former Employee - Reader in Apple Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Reader in Apple Valley, MN

I worked at Questar Assessment part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good way to earn some extra money once a year.

Cons

Limited night shifts are available

Advice to Management

None

Lack of Leadership

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

there are still dedicated employees at the lower management levels

Cons

The new leadership team guiding the company is incompetent at best. There is no direction from above, which filters down through the company structure, and it seems that the company is flying by the seat of its pants. When issues are exposed to department heads, their reaction is to feign ignorance and claim falsely that they are blind sided and push blame downward instead of taking steps to resolve the issue and move forward. There is a false sense of culture being instituted that does not reflect the current state of employee happiness or morale. Basically, 90% of the worker base is miserable and would jump at other employment opportunities. Many long-term employees were let go in the recent restructuring and there has been a lot of turn over of key personnel who left by their own choosing, the primary reason being the ineptness of the leadership team. Also, as mentioned in several other reviews, positive statements made on Glassdoor are either drafted by, or at the direct orders, of the CEO.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and provide direction and leadership. Create a collaborative environment and don't react to criticism by threatening your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed