Questar Assessment Reviews

Jamie Candee

1. Making a difference, one score at a time

Current Employee - Reader in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Reader in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pt opportunity for anyone with a BA degree! I've worked in the seasonal scoring department for 5 years and plan to continue as long as they will have me. I work at the Apple Valley location.
    Friendly and approachable project managers
    Excellent training and tech help
    Culture that demands high performance, challenges your thinking, inspires you to do even better
    FUN environment: high praise, team activities, stretch breaks, book swaps, and foodie nights
    EXCELLENT hourly compensation. If you're looking for extra income, this is the place.

Cons

Project managers from other locations could learn a trick or two about respect and training from the top notch project leaders at AV. There are 1-2 that I would not consider working for on future projects.
    Career note: Questar promotes from within, but I'm not aware of how to move up in the scoring center area.
    Senior Mngmt note: only 4 stars due to very limited interaction. They seem highly knowledgeable and engaging when they make rounds.

Evening staff would truly appreciate having a clean place to eat our dinners or have breaks. I understand the need to coordinate with custodial staff, but the evening areas are often grungy and unsanitary with food, water, and spills everywhere in the break rooms and bathrooms.

Atmosphere of a start-up within the structure of a well-established company

Current Employee - IT in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - IT in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

In general, the people are great to work with and really want to do the right thing. While the leadership is new, they bring with them solid outside experience. There is a renewed focus on the company mission and vision while recognizing the need to modernize and diversity. This is opening up a world of opportunities.

Cons

As with any company that undergoes major organizational changes, there is a ripple effect of uncertainly and perhaps even anxiety. That said, the atmosphere of "starting over" is energizing. But for many people change is anything BUT energizing. If one finds themselves in the latter category, I recommend they assess if they need to either change their attitude or change their career.

Be cognizant that changing a culture and business vision takes diligence and time - continue to infuse the vision into the DNA of the company

Excellent company to work for.

Former Employee - Reader in Apple Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Reader in Apple Valley, MN

I worked at Questar Assessment part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good way to earn some extra money once a year.

Cons

Limited night shifts are available

None

Lack of Leadership

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

there are still dedicated employees at the lower management levels

Cons

The new leadership team guiding the company is incompetent at best. There is no direction from above, which filters down through the company structure, and it seems that the company is flying by the seat of its pants. When issues are exposed to department heads, their reaction is to feign ignorance and claim falsely that they are blind sided and push blame downward instead of taking steps to resolve the issue and move forward. There is a false sense of culture being instituted that does not reflect the current state of employee happiness or morale. Basically, 90% of the worker base is miserable and would jump at other employment opportunities. Many long-term employees were let go in the recent restructuring and there has been a lot of turn over of key personnel who left by their own choosing, the primary reason being the ineptness of the leadership team. Also, as mentioned in several other reviews, positive statements made on Glassdoor are either drafted by, or at the direct orders, of the CEO.

Listen to your employees and provide direction and leadership. Create a collaborative environment and don't react to criticism by threatening your employees.

Good luck to all of those "good eggs" that stayed!

I worked at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

I'm drawing a blank from my personal experience. I heard that they have a lounge now, so that's like totally cool.

Cons

I had to wait a while to try writing this review after reading Glassdoor's policy against ranting and venting. I needed months out of the turmoil to get my head straight and find a way to write a review that is 100% a truthful accounting of MY personal experience.

I went from a job I really liked with a team that I enjoyed to the worst job I've had in my career within two months of the CEO's appointment of my new department head. We went from being led by people who really understood our processes and the time required for successful work to people who wanted to throw garbage at every opportunity. The amount of work they expected on an on-going basis was beyond out of control and everyone on my team was struggling to make it day-to-day. We all voiced the immediate need for more staff to keep up with the dramatically increased demand and were told in no uncertain terms that we would need to suck it up.

But it turns out that I didn't need to suck it up. I needed to leave. And it's not because I wasn't dedicated. I worked holidays and weekends, and was online in the middle of the night trying to make it work. So, to those reviewers who claim to be good eggs, I'm not a bad egg...I'm just smart enough to realize that no job is worth being as miserable as Questar made me.

One more thing -- before things got to the breaking point, we were instructed (through trickle down messaging, so it never came to us from the lips of the CEO herself) that we should all be writing glowing reviews of the company on Questar. I sort of think that maybe just making the company a better place to work would have had the same end result. Instead, the rating has gone down and down and down.

Any advice I could offer up would fall on deaf ears. Management DOES NOT CARE about what former or, from all evidence, current employees think about their methods and the environment that they are creating. And that really is a shame.

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Operations Department in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Department in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, convenient location, friendly work environment, contributions are acknowledged and appreciated

Cons

Challenges in adjusting to a smaller and new staff to complete existing and new projects.

Lowering health insurance costs.

Getting in on the growth.....

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Right now the best thing about working at Questar is the positive changes the CEO and Executive Leadership Team are implementing. Lots of new opportunities for employees and the company as a whole. Good people to work with.

Cons

Benefits could be better. Change is hard...but rewarding in the end.

Hire more staff!!!!!!

Moving in the right direction.

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Restructure this summer was very much needed. Remaining staff agrees that those left standing are the ones who were most committed, hard working, and optimistic/positive. Still some remaining bad eggs that need to go. Why they stay when they "hate" their jobs so much baffles me. Just leave, we don't need your negativity to bring us down. CEO is working fast to fix issues that were here when she came in. We've actually seen improvement in the last 6-9 months. How many CEO's do you know that actually follow through with what they say they are going to do? Good mix of managers and non-managers.

Cons

The benefits are expensive and limited. Review process is inconsistent, some employees get reviews and others don't. I guess that is the responsibility of the supervisor, but some supervisors don't seem to care.

Really pay attention to your employees and weed out the negativity. Dump the dead weight.

Good people, bad work environment

Former Contractor - Quality Assurance
    Former Contractor - Quality Assurance

I worked at Questar Assessment as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were very helpful to me as a new employee. The work was challenging, and I learned a lot about standardized tests. I also learned lots of random trivia from reading passages.

Cons

Deadlines were often rushed, some clients were very difficult to work with, and the process of developing questions meant that errors sometimes had to be left uncorrected to avoid tampering with longitudinal data. Not a very rewarding job, and low job security.

Couldn't leave less than One Star

Current Employee - Supervisor in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A few remaining dedicated workers that want to do the right thing, other than that all new hires that have not one clue.

Cons

CEO hired all of her own Senior team from outside, not an unusual move. A few individuals were elevated from within. Makes it look like she hired her friends to be her yes men. Six figure salaries that bring nothing to the table from what we can see. Major reduction of knowledgeable staff forces remaining groups to pick up work that we are struggling to stay afloat on. Feels like we are sinking fast heading into a busy time of the year for the group that was let go.
    Remaining talent seems to be jumping ship or looking.
    CEO came in touting transparency, and open communications... still waiting. Health benefits are terrible, hoping that changes but won't hold our breath.

Admit you made an error in judgement on some crucial decisions in the last six months and try to rectify them.