Questar Assessment

Add Photos

Jamie Candee

Great Purpose, Even Greater People

Seasoned Employee (Current Employee) Apple Valley, MN

ProsA small-medium sized company, helping fulfill the mandate to provide valid tests for students in various states across the nation. All workers seem to have a mission to quality as it pertains to every student tested and scored accurately. Recent leadership is re-organizing the company to ensure the company survives and hopefully thrives as the marketplace around testing students undergoes some major changes in coming months/years. The recent re-organization is a PRO, even though those affected by it may feel otherwise. Honestly, what company doesn't perform re-organizations from time-to-time to ensure is viability in the marketplace? Those that don't usually fail or are purchased by the companies that do re-org. Advice to everyone working...there is no such thing as job security. Once you realize this, you'll personally be on a better path in general.

ConsEmployee benefits need to be re-organized! Healthcare is becoming expensive for all employees and should be fixed so Questar becomes a company as an employer of choice. Until then, they are an employer of choice only if you negotiate your other benefits to offset the crappy healthcare. As with many companies, some of the leaders have oversized egos. As long as you are familiar with navigating in and around those types, you'll be fine. Newer Upper Management appears to be a bit cliquey, sharing inside jokes with one another in public that the general workforce won't get...making those under them feel like they're missing out on something.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair, be firm, and reward those that stand out and deliver high quality work. Try to lead without talking down on those below you in the hierarchy. Realize where your talent lies and try not to spread certain individuals too thin in all their responsibilities.

Great work environment

ProsQuestar has a nice, big facility and is located in a convenient spot off Pilot Knob and 42. Lots of places to eat, stay, workout, etc. around. Company promotes from within and encourages employee development and advancement. New CEO is young, fun, and driven. Since her arrival the company has been reinvigorated. Employees are excited to be here. If you are looking for a mission drive organization with a strong leadership team, motivated employees, and a fun work environment then Questar is the place for you.

ConsCost of health benefits is higher than most places. Cubes are too high and it's difficult to interact with co-workers because of layout.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into lower health benefit plan options and invest in space planning.

Awesome leadership team!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsLeaders and employees are awesome. We are a lean, mighty, tight knit group and we are in it to win it! The executive team is fantastic and a bunch of truly dedicated, mission driven individuals. There's excellent transparency and top down guidance. This team encourages us to make independent decisions and take an active, participatory role in all aspects of the business. Yes, we just went through a long overdue re-organization and the climate of the current employee base is incredibly positive and excited for the future. I'm happy to be a part of this organization and I like coming to work each day.

ConsProfessional development is lacking, but is on the "to-do" list to address in the near future. A good PD program would be welcomed!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. We appreciate your leadership. Continue to remain open to hearing our concerns and active in addressing them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people but horrible leadership!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Apple Valley, MN

ProsThe work schedule is flexible.

ConsThe benefits are outrageously expensive, there is no communication company wide and they promote individuals into managerial roles who have no skills to lead a team!

Enjoyed working for the company at first but company seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation and easy commute was a plus and salary was competative.

ConsWorking with upper management who are all clueless as what needs to be done to move the company forward. Health insurance is a joke, people are expected to be on call 24/7.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the current CEO she is more interested in hiring her friends instead of doing what is right for the company and taking care of the people who have made the company what it was before she took over.

Mentally taxing work.

Reader/Scorer (Current Employee) Apple Valley, MN

ProsIf you prefer seasonal work, there is sometimes a couple of weeks between each contract.

ConsThe work is mentally exhausting to the point of complete fatigue at the end of each work day.

They just laid off 30% of the company today, July 8th, 2014.

Experienced Professional (Current Employee) Apple Valley, MN

ProsThere is a really good restaurant nearby. A lot of chains too, if you're into that sort of thing. The cubes are nice, if you sit in the one-third of the office that has nice cubes. The toilets usually work, ands they provide coffee, tea, even hot cocoa!

Seriously though, the one good thing I have to say here is that there is transparency to the bonus program. You know where you stand, and if you are in the bonus program, you can link your hopefully forthcoming bonus to company results so you know whether or not you're going to get that bonus far in advance. Of course, the vast majority of employees aren't in the bonus program since it is only for people managers, but at least you know that you won't be getting anything extra.

ConsThis company just axed 3 out of every 10 employees on the roster. That happened today, July 8th, 2014. Most employees have not had a raise in years anyway, so hopefully people move on to better things, because almost anything would be better than this company. The intrepid job seeker reading this might take a moment to read other, more positive reviews. Let me tell you this: Direction was given by the new leadership earlier this year for employees to post positive reviews on glassdoor. So take everything positive written this year with a grain of salt and then a shot of tequila, because those reviews are either fictional or written by people who don't care what happens to the human beings around them.

Advice to Senior ManagementOh, where to start. Hit the undo button on the actions of today. You put a lot of talented, hard working people in the unemployment line this morning. Also, hit the undo button on several recent executives that have been added (not talking about the new CEO here, though I'm majorly questioning her judgment at this point). These new executives are yielding results in the scientific sense in that "things are happening", but those results are detracting from the company, not adding. How long do people get (and how many good employees need to leave through layoff AND voluntarily) before these new execs' welcome is worn out? 30% of the company laid off today, but I bet the overall turnover right is 40% or higher over the last year because this company is just not good to work for. Trust me, I've got resumes out there too. This used to be a good company, but I want no part of this anymore.

Don't believe the lies.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe people. Really, that's it.

ConsEverything else. Management has no idea what they're doing. It's funny that 5 start reviews are written days after the NY facility was closed and nearly 70 employees laid off. I give this company 2 years before closing up shop in the MN office. High turn over, no work life balance, employees hate it. 5 star reviews coming via CEO orders. Catastrophic healthcare, this isn't where you want to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. So out of touch with reality it's appalling.

No strategic vision

Prosthe employees who pull for one another

ConsThis company has morphed into a reactionary, incompetent entity that has no strategic plan and represents the worst in educational assessment by completely focusing on the bottom line. New "leadership" has been installed with people who know nothing about the business. The benefits package is terrible, and salaries beyond those given to executive leadership are below industry expectations and not reflective of the effort and competency of the employees. Even the smallest of perks, such as closing the office the afternoon before a long holiday weekend, have been eliminated over the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what made this company what it is today. Nothing that is preached about a 'culture' has been put in to practice.

Time to turn talk into action

ProsWe are spending capital to expand. We have had 4 CEOs since 2007. We have seen a lot change. Each CEO starts with new team. Newest CEO started in January and has new mission. We need to now see action on the ideas so that the large investments will pay off.

ConsA lot of internal divide and concern is building. This seems to be apparent in the posts to this site -- some of the high ratings seem almost false and don't match what we are seeing. A lot of really good and key staff are actively looking to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that you have been in place for a while we look to have some real difference and and real leadership.

Worked for Questar Assessment? Contribute to the Community!