Questar Assessment

Superb group of individuals

Current Employee - Publication in Brewster, NY
    Current Employee - Publication in Brewster, NY

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

Smaller than competitors, so there is more opportunity to branch out into other parts of the business.

Cons

Smaller than competitors, so it is harder for it to compete in a shrinking market.

Good people, bad work environment

Former Employee - Quality Assurance
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at Questar Assessment as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were very helpful to me as a new employee. The work was challenging, and I learned a lot about standardized tests. I also learned lots of random trivia from reading passages.

Cons

Deadlines were often rushed, some clients were very difficult to work with, and the process of developing questions meant that errors sometimes had to be left uncorrected to avoid tampering with longitudinal data. Not a very rewarding job, and low job security.

Couldn't leave less than One Star

Current Employee - Supervisor in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A few remaining dedicated workers that want to do the right thing, other than that all new hires that have not one clue.

Cons

CEO hired all of her own Senior team from outside, not an unusual move. A few individuals were elevated from within. Makes it look like she hired her friends to be her yes men. Six figure salaries that bring nothing to the table from what we can see. Major reduction of knowledgeable staff forces remaining groups to pick up work that we are struggling to stay afloat on. Feels like we are sinking fast heading into a busy time of the year for the group that was let go.
    Remaining talent seems to be jumping ship or looking.
    CEO came in touting transparency, and open communications... still waiting. Health benefits are terrible, hoping that changes but won't hold our breath.

Admit you made an error in judgement on some crucial decisions in the last six months and try to rectify them.

A Terrible Waste

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a fairly nice building, and I have some very conscientious co- workers.

Cons

The new management team has very, very little experience. The CTO was let go last week, and another of our experts was let go today. What is the CEO afraid of...that the experienced people are on to her? From what I can tell, she is hiring her friends...people that won't question her. Whatever...I am looking to get out before this company folds. I wouldn't be surprised if the CEO is too.

Company is going in the wrong direction

I worked at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

It still has dedicated people

Cons

All new upper management, with no experience.

Be practical.

Going places

I worked at Questar Assessment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is redeveloping itself so it can continue to thrive and be an education industry leader.

Cons

A lot of change is taking place at this time.

Continue to be transparent.

You have to choose what you bring to the Table.

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful opportunity for growth and to help guide Questar into the future of education assessment. You can drive you own success under this CEO and she give her employes the opportunity to speak up.

Cons

The Benefits are super $$$$. They need a better on boarding process new employes don't get a lot of direction.

Great Purpose, Even Greater People

Current Employee - Seasoned Employee in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Seasoned Employee in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

A small-medium sized company, helping fulfill the mandate to provide valid tests for students in various states across the nation. All workers seem to have a mission to quality as it pertains to every student tested and scored accurately. Recent leadership is re-organizing the company to ensure the company survives and hopefully thrives as the marketplace around testing students undergoes some major changes in coming months/years. The recent re-organization is a PRO, even though those affected by it may feel otherwise. Honestly, what company doesn't perform re-organizations from time-to-time to ensure is viability in the marketplace? Those that don't usually fail or are purchased by the companies that do re-org. Advice to everyone working...there is no such thing as job security. Once you realize this, you'll personally be on a better path in general.

Cons

Employee benefits need to be re-organized! Healthcare is becoming expensive for all employees and should be fixed so Questar becomes a company as an employer of choice. Until then, they are an employer of choice only if you negotiate your other benefits to offset the crappy healthcare. As with many companies, some of the leaders have oversized egos. As long as you are familiar with navigating in and around those types, you'll be fine. Newer Upper Management appears to be a bit cliquey, sharing inside jokes with one another in public that the general workforce won't get...making those under them feel like they're missing out on something.

Be fair, be firm, and reward those that stand out and deliver high quality work. Try to lead without talking down on those below you in the hierarchy. Realize where your talent lies and try not to spread certain individuals too thin in all their responsibilities.

Great work environment

I have been working at Questar Assessment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Questar has a nice, big facility and is located in a convenient spot off Pilot Knob and 42. Lots of places to eat, stay, workout, etc. around. Company promotes from within and encourages employee development and advancement. New CEO is young, fun, and driven. Since her arrival the company has been reinvigorated. Employees are excited to be here. If you are looking for a mission drive organization with a strong leadership team, motivated employees, and a fun work environment then Questar is the place for you.

Cons

Cost of health benefits is higher than most places. Cubes are too high and it's difficult to interact with co-workers because of layout.

Look into lower health benefit plan options and invest in space planning.

Great people but horrible leadership!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apple Valley, MN

I worked at Questar Assessment full-time

Pros

The work schedule is flexible.

Cons

The benefits are outrageously expensive, there is no communication company wide and they promote individuals into managerial roles who have no skills to lead a team!