Questar Data Systems

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.8

Ted Naegeli

one of the best jobs i've had

Former Employee - Program Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Questar Data Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT CLIENTS! Many of them have kept in touch and follow my career on LinkedIn. I felt like I was making a difference to their business

Cons

"it's not what you but who you know" is taken to a whole new (ridiculous) level ... it was a joke but not funny. personal relationships sometimes were the basis for promotions and had nothing to do with work performance. some managers made sure their favorites were compensated, protected and promoted.

focus more on who is doing a good job and not who needs a job (based on the personal/private circumstance). you lost some very good employees in your layoffs in 2009 and kept a bunch of duds

Challenging to work effectively.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Questar Data Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People who delivered services really cared about meeting client needs. Lots of long term employees who really know the survey business. This business was sold to Data Solutions Inc. and is now a lot better place to work.

Cons

A "top down" management style that became oppressive to many employees, stifling the ability to work effectively. Upper management was detached from daily business. Not enough resources to grow the business.

Hire talented people, pay them what they are worth, give them the resources and autonomy to get the job done.

Small company, everyone knows you.

I worked at Questar Data Systems

Pros

Very flexible schedule. Friendly people to work with.

Cons

Small company, limited opportunity for advancement.

Questar's culture is overshadowed by high school mentality

I worked at Questar Data Systems

Pros

Questar is a very organized company that does a great job of documenting projects. Most people work hard and display a sense of ownership in their positions. Management welcomes suggestions and is openly accessible.

Cons

The majority of people at Questar have worked together for years (some since high school) and have a strong group bond. I felt like I was in a bad dream where the nerdy group in high school somehow took over the school. Let's just say new employees are not welcomed warmly. People are very quiet and mostly keep to themselves. Culture in a company is important, and this company has a painfully dull culture. Unfortunately, the work is equally dull, so I have to give this company a double thumbs down.

Try to engage all of your employees, and encourage socialization. Although you may have a longstanding relationship with certain groups of employees, remember that new hires will offer fresh insight and experience that can be valuable to the company's success.

Just OK

I have been working at Questar Data Systems

Pros

Laid back workplace. Laid back managers. Sound proof building. Close parking lot. Great nearby housing and lunch options as well as access to near by highway.

Cons

Needs tech upgrades as well as cubicle upgrades.