Questar Reviews

Questar President, CEO, and Director Ronald W. (Ron) Jibson
Ronald W. (Ron) Jibson

1. Great all around company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Questar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pension if you hired about 5 years ago. Really good 401k match. Decent benefits. Low pressure environment. Good management. Nice facilities.

Cons

Slow moving ship to move on newer ideas.

Advice to Management

Award (bonuses) higher performing employees over substandard.

2. Questar Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Supportive environment and family-friendly culture make it a nice place for people with kids. There are also lots of long-tenured employees. Good comp and benefits, especially for Salt Lake City.

Cons

The mentality is "this is the way we've always done it, so do it this way." As a result, employees are scared of new techniques to address problems.

3. Two Years with Questar, Planning on more

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Questar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Well organized company with good structure and values. - Questar always keeps it's employees in mind, with good benefits. Nothing flashy, but a really good 401K match, PTO + 9 Holidays per year, education assistance, yearly bonus, and more. - Job Security. If you are willing to put in the effort, and work hard (but not more than would be expected) than you never have to worry about having a job. Many of the employees here have been with the company for 20+ years! I have talked to a lot of them, and they have all told me that they've never seen layoffs, even when times got tough. The only time people get fired is when they do something dumb. And I have only seen that happen once in the two years I've been here. -Laid back environment. Even though it is a very professional work environment, people here love their jobs and what they do, and so everyone is pretty friendly. You can't walk down the hall to the bathroom without passing someone who will smile and say hello. In my department and the groups I work with, there are times of more stress, due to deadlines and such. But everyone really works together, and wants each other to succeed, so it's never too bad.

Cons

- Like it has been mentioned in other reviews; due to the structure and organization of the company (which is a good thing) it does take more time to move around in the company. When they hire you for a position, it's because they really need someone for that position, so there's some hesitation to let you leave that position. That being said, I would disagree with some of the other reviews, it's IS totally possible to move around in the company, even moving up. You're not gonna move all the way up the ladder in 5 years maybe, but I have heard many stories of people that started working for Questar in the mailroom or customer service and worked their way up. I've even seen it happen in the two years I've been here. -Because Questar is a faily self contained company, and people stay for a long time, there are some areas where we have haven't changed the way we do things in a long time. There needs to be a little more room for innovation and willingness to change.

Advice to Management

I have heard the phrase "That's just how we've always done it in the past" too many times when working on something with someone who has worked here for a long time. Because Questar can sometimes be it's own world, i think we need to be willing to re-write the playbook sometimes.

5. Solid company, great work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great company that takes care of its employees. Currently, lots of opportunities for growth as a large portion of the workforce is nearing retirement age

Cons

Though it is slowly changing, employees who are sub-par receive the same recognition and raises as employees that are excellent.

6. Good, stable company to work for.

Pros

Great place to work if you want stability. The people and management are very friendly and makes for a great work environment. The benefits are average compared to other companies and the pay, at least for my position, was below market rate. There are plenty of people that have been there for over 25 yrs and there are a number of parents who's kids also work there. They really encourage hiring from within the company and seen it actually happen.

Cons

"Good ole boys" mentality! so fortunately/unfortunately, your career there can depend on this type of mentality. I've seen people get hired on or promoted based on this type of mentality during my time there. Since they really hire from within the company, there is a lot of people that get promoted but are not qualified.

Advice to Management

Stop the "good ole boys" mentality.

7. Really good company to work for

Pros

Nice people. Good ole' boy network.

Cons

Can't think of any. The people there are great.

8. Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Questar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO, 401K Match, Employees. Really an enjoyable place to work. There are a lot of service opportunities and fun things that happen at work. It is very laid back and a low pressure environment.

Cons

Sometimes due to the low pressure environment there is not a lot of feedback. The CFO is working to improve this and help with employee development.

9. Better Get Everything Coming To You In Writing If you don't, they will take it back and call it an interim position.

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Union City, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Union City, CA

I worked at Questar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment (Union City,Ca. location). Small Two Man Operation. Pretty good benefits, unless you turn them in late because your constantly busy.

Cons

New manager makes you feel like your constantly under a microscope .There is a time off policy but you cannot utilize it. This location is only a two man operation.

Advice to Management

Do Not Promise (make offers) then take them back a few months later. Really bad for moral They have a bad habit of doing this.

10. A well-managed company providing excellent benefits and pay!

Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Questar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Questar is a stable and terrific company to work for. They have a nice benefits package. Employees are rewarded with annual incentive programs and compensation is competitive yet designed to attract and retain the very best employees. This company is in an enviable position of having a CEO who has vision and excellent communication skills. The well-educated and intelligent upper management team is probably the best they have ever had.

Cons

The same things that make it an attractive company to work for also cause stagnation and infrequent advancement opportunities. With the exception of call center employees, most employees seem to leave only at retirement. There have been some demographic improvements lately as more of the workforce are now coming close to or reaching retirement age.

11. Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

They have a great benefits package and a generous bonus program for all employees. My co-workers are happy and everyone seems to respect the corporation. They always have community service projects and volunteer opportunities to break up the monotony and give back to the area. The company just cares about the people who work there and treat them well. It seems like most of the people I've met have been with the company at least 10 years and many are over 30 years.

Cons

Downtown locations requires public transit or paying for parking.

RSS Feed </> Embed