Questex Media

Updated May 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kerry C. Gumas

Questex Media has great potential, but didn't have the proper upperlevel leadership that I expected.

Director (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe freedom of working from home was the best part of the job.

ConsIt lacked upper level leadership and consistency.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is good but so many little details need to be consistent across all divisions and all division leaders to be a great company. I feel that people turn their heads from ongoing issues just so they do not have to deal with them. Not the way a major corporation should be running.

You determine your fate.

Sales/Marketing Professional (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLittle supervision and therefore much autonomy. Flexible schedule/work locations.

ConsIf you have ideas outside of the management, you won't last long. Tow the party line if you want to last.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more. Honestly incorporate and consider input of supervisors and staff.

so-so

ProsGreat people. Can be very interesting.

ConsSenior Management abuses those lower than them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company that cares about employee benefits

Sales/Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsLove the autonomy many of the groups allow. Solid events and publications.

ConsRemote offices tend to be out of the loop

Don't waste your time...

ProsThey don't micromanage, though that seems to be changing slowly.
    Self directed career growth can have it's ups.

ConsSelf directed career growth also has it's downs.

The idea is they are a servicing department, nothing more. Because of this there is zero communication from management to their team. Discussion is relevant strictly on a task level with no solid plans for a future, nor real strategy for growth as a team because of their servicing mentality.

Your work will entail menial fixes of technical issues that will neither up your knowledge nor add to your resume. Your job here will exist strictly as a functional line item, to determine length of employment for hopeful and much needed future interviews.

You will have some opportunity to use your new found training but in a team rife with turnover, your senior lead will be no more experienced than an entry level person who's hopefully motivated in their self study, so you are left to learn on your own and pray the tutorials are good enough for the industry standard and not just good enough to build something small or worse be dangerous.

Management style is to say whatever it takes to placate the team, making only empty promises to only keep whomever is naive enough to believe them. When conflict arises, nobody speaks up and leaves their employees holding the proverbial bag. HR is nonexistent, and when proof of emails are presented, their response is "Too bad."

Office politics are disastrously evil, and is best to keep your head down or it's taken from you.
    Reading between the lines is necessary for survival here because turnover is commonplace and accepted as par for course, so no amount of good will or guidance is even considered.

I could continue on, but hopefully the point is made. Your time is best spent looking elsewhere.

True it's a paycheck, but the opportunity cost could literally be your career before it's even begun.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to people about what the job really is. Honesty is appreciated on all fronts. Some people do just want to punch a clock, you won't have a problem finding these types, but halting and possibly destroying the careers of the motivated is not right.

Change the Top if You Want to Improve the Bottom (Line)

ProsVery hands off. Freedom to pursue initiatives as long as they stay under the radar. Some good people at lower and mid levels.

ConsZero communication or leadership. C-suite is MIA. Grand ideas, no ability to execute. Strategy seems to be buy a bunch of companies with borrowed money, write off debt in bankruptcy, make interest payments to commercial lenders. Oh yeah, and do stuff for customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the CEO that got you into this mess. Focus on your customers and employees and the profits will come.

Poor Leadership and Unwillingness to Change or Adapt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRelaxed work environment, when management is hands off.

ConsVery poor leadership at the upper managerial and executive level, Major office politics, and unwilling to utilize new media and technologies. (which would be okay, if the old way worked, and, you know, if it wasn't a media company)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet interested with what people see your company as. Your outward facing media is a disaster and borderline nonfunctional. For a media firm you concentrate very little on media.

Great professional experience

Content/Editorial (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsQuestex is a very entrepreneurial company- lots of innovation, lots of freedom to try new ideas -total change from other media companies I've worked for and moving fast. I've had chances here I'd never have gotten at this stage of my career. You get a lot of responsibility fast and have to keep up with the pace. They're flexible on hours and work schedule which is great for me too due to the commute. The people here are fantastic- a great, talented team.

ConsLocal management in NY travels constantly and that affects communications at times since it's a fast-paced business. My manager is great about keeping everyone dialed up but that's not the case in all other groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has been through a big transition to focus on digital media. In NY it would be great to see more cross-product training like the sales people get, especially to make it easier to move between properties and across business unit lines.

If your not smart and resourceful you won't last.

Marketing Director (Former Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

ProsGreat people to work with. Loved working with my teams and publisher. Learned a lot and earned an MBA degree while working at Questex.

ConsCorporate always has another agenda and communication is low priority. Very few resources so if you want to get any work done you definitely have to be resourceful and know people within the company that can help you out or you outsource it yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for you're employees as much as you care for your investors.

Allowed to pursue job/career as I saw best; lack of individual recognition and engagement by management demotivating.

Sales (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible schedule. Opportunity to grow skills with self-motivation and without being micro-managed. Company is working on employee communication. Great support staff -- HR, Accounting, IT, Production.

ConsSenior management is focused on largest picture -- getting company financially on track after 2009 bankruptcy. Employee acknowledgement is inconsistent, at best. Lacks structure and culture for individual review/praise. No opportunity for career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the corporate goal is to restructure and stream line from the top down, then no advice. If the company would like to retain and attract the best employees, I recommend training for upper management.

Worked for Questex Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Questex Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Questex Media CEO Kerry C. Gumas. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Questex Media employees.