Questex Media

Updated May 6, 2014
Updated May 6, 2014
2.5

Kerry C. Gumas

Questex Media has great potential, but didn't have the proper upperlevel leadership that I expected.

Former Employee - Director  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Questex Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The freedom of working from home was the best part of the job.

Cons

It lacked upper level leadership and consistency.

The company is good but so many little details need to be consistent across all divisions and all division leaders to be a great company. I feel that people turn their heads from ongoing issues just so they do not have to deal with them. Not the way a major corporation should be running.

You determine your fate.

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Professional  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Questex Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Little supervision and therefore much autonomy. Flexible schedule/work locations.

Cons

If you have ideas outside of the management, you won't last long. Tow the party line if you want to last.

Communicate more. Honestly incorporate and consider input of supervisors and staff.

so-so

I have been working at Questex Media

Pros

Great people. Can be very interesting.

Cons

Senior Management abuses those lower than them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company that cares about employee benefits

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Coordinator
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Coordinator

I have been working at Questex Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love the autonomy many of the groups allow. Solid events and publications.

Cons

Remote offices tend to be out of the loop

Don't waste your time...

I have been working at Questex Media full-time

Pros

They don't micromanage, though that seems to be changing slowly.
    Self directed career growth can have it's ups.

Cons

Self directed career growth also has it's downs.

The idea is they are a servicing department, nothing more. Because of this there is zero communication from management to their team. Discussion is relevant strictly on a task level with no solid plans for a future, nor real strategy for growth as a team because of their servicing mentality.

Your work will entail menial fixes of technical issues that will neither up your knowledge nor add to your resume. Your job here will exist strictly as a functional line item, to determine length of employment for hopeful and much needed future interviews.

You will have some opportunity to use your new found training but in a team rife with turnover, your senior lead will be no more experienced than an entry level person who's hopefully motivated in their self study, so you are left to learn on your own and pray the tutorials are good enough for the industry standard and not just good enough to build something small or worse be dangerous.

Management style is to say whatever it takes to placate the team, making only empty promises to only keep whomever is naive enough to believe them. When conflict arises, nobody speaks up and leaves their employees holding the proverbial bag. HR is nonexistent, and when proof of emails are presented, their response is "Too bad."

Office politics are disastrously evil, and is best to keep your head down or it's taken from you.
    Reading between the lines is necessary for survival here because turnover is commonplace and accepted as par for course, so no amount of good will or guidance is even considered.

I could continue on, but hopefully the point is made. Your time is best spent looking elsewhere.

True it's a paycheck, but the opportunity cost could literally be your career before it's even begun.

Stop lying to people about what the job really is. Honesty is appreciated on all fronts. Some people do just want to punch a clock, you won't have a problem finding these types, but halting and possibly destroying the careers of the motivated is not right.

Change the Top if You Want to Improve the Bottom (Line)

I have been working at Questex Media full-time

Pros

Very hands off. Freedom to pursue initiatives as long as they stay under the radar. Some good people at lower and mid levels.

Cons

Zero communication or leadership. C-suite is MIA. Grand ideas, no ability to execute. Strategy seems to be buy a bunch of companies with borrowed money, write off debt in bankruptcy, make interest payments to commercial lenders. Oh yeah, and do stuff for customers.

Replace the CEO that got you into this mess. Focus on your customers and employees and the profits will come.

Poor Leadership and Unwillingness to Change or Adapt

I worked at Questex Media for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed work environment, when management is hands off.

Cons

Very poor leadership at the upper managerial and executive level, Major office politics, and unwilling to utilize new media and technologies. (which would be okay, if the old way worked, and, you know, if it wasn't a media company)

Get interested with what people see your company as. Your outward facing media is a disaster and borderline nonfunctional. For a media firm you concentrate very little on media.

Great professional experience

Current Employee - Content/Editorial  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Content/Editorial in New York, NY

I have been working at Questex Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Questex is a very entrepreneurial company- lots of innovation, lots of freedom to try new ideas -total change from other media companies I've worked for and moving fast. I've had chances here I'd never have gotten at this stage of my career. You get a lot of responsibility fast and have to keep up with the pace. They're flexible on hours and work schedule which is great for me too due to the commute. The people here are fantastic- a great, talented team.

Cons

Local management in NY travels constantly and that affects communications at times since it's a fast-paced business. My manager is great about keeping everyone dialed up but that's not the case in all other groups.

The company has been through a big transition to focus on digital media. In NY it would be great to see more cross-product training like the sales people get, especially to make it easier to move between properties and across business unit lines.

If your not smart and resourceful you won't last.

Former Employee - Marketing Director  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Questex Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Loved working with my teams and publisher. Learned a lot and earned an MBA degree while working at Questex.

Cons

Corporate always has another agenda and communication is low priority. Very few resources so if you want to get any work done you definitely have to be resourceful and know people within the company that can help you out or you outsource it yourself.

Care for you're employees as much as you care for your investors.

Allowed to pursue job/career as I saw best; lack of individual recognition and engagement by management demotivating.

Former Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Questex Media

Pros

Flexible schedule. Opportunity to grow skills with self-motivation and without being micro-managed. Company is working on employee communication. Great support staff -- HR, Accounting, IT, Production.

Cons

Senior management is focused on largest picture -- getting company financially on track after 2009 bankruptcy. Employee acknowledgement is inconsistent, at best. Lacks structure and culture for individual review/praise. No opportunity for career advancement.

If the corporate goal is to restructure and stream line from the top down, then no advice. If the company would like to retain and attract the best employees, I recommend training for upper management.

Worked for Questex Media? Contribute to the Community!