Questrade

www.questrade.com

Questrade Reviews in Canada

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Questrade – Toronto – “Life at Questrade”

Edward Kholodenko

Pros
  • Lots of parties, work environment is mostly neutral(in 4 reviews)

• Career opportunities, growing organization(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • As of now, I really cannot think of anything(in 2 reviews)

• QA teams are understaffed and see very high turnover(in 2 reviews)

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Below-average company with extremely poor management

Software Developer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsQuestrade has been able to attract several talented people. It does this by paying somewhat decent salaries and promoting employees quickly (too quickly?) to their level of incompetence.

Cons-Talent is wasted by managers that have never written a line of code in their lives.
    -Questrade is a financial services company that is new to software development.
    -Projects are rarely completed on time or on budget. Project management is completely ad hoc.
    -Technical teams often work on weekends without compensation or days in lieu.
    -QA teams are understaffed and see very high turnover.
    -Poor technical management. Key decision-makers and stakeholders are not technical people.
    -Managers are unable to assess the skills and abilities of the technical staff.
    -Surprisingly few opportunities to learn about the field of investing.
    -Issues with morale across the entire company.
    -Nepotism is prevalent across the company.
    -The company is unable to learn from past mistakes and continues to make the same ones, over and over again.

The last point is especially problematic. The company culture at Questrade is one that does not deal well with mistakes. Rather than accepting fault for a bad decision, managers seek out a scapegoat in order to protect themselves. This has the secondary effect of delaying important decisions for as long as possible.

The project I worked on has been in active development for over 4 years and was expected to launch 2 years ago. If one is moderately skilled at software development, they would do well to steer clear of Questrade. And for those, like myself, who made the honest mistake of joining the company--no doubt with the best of intentions--it's time to dust off those resumes and go work for a real software company. The feeling of wonder and excitement you will experience when you release working code to real customers is like no other.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to succeed, the leadership at Questrade would have to step aside and appoint technical managers that have a history of delivering software to a large customer base.

Great place with exciting jobs

Senior Front End Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosthe best reasons to work at Questrade are the trust in our work, we have great professionals as coworkers and this is very nice to improve our knowledge, we have good work environment, a lot of challenges and career opportunities.

ConsI don't have any downside to share about work at Questrade.

Stuck in neutral

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- good benefits
    - great place to meet great intelligent people

Cons- Management is horrible , CEO clearly doesn't know what's going on in his company
    - Directors couldn't careless about their employees ( especially the CSS)
    - Company promotes "kiss asses", and give more responsibilities to incompetent people
    - No room for career advancement

Advice to Senior Management- Start promoting smart people with talent
    - Have a CLEAR direction for the company
    - Start PAYING your employees, they work REALLY HARD !

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy score for this company is 3/5. The 4/5 score is to be taken with a grain of salt; there are biased entries for this company.

Pros:
    Helpful colleagues to work with: by far, this is the best thing in the company.
    Interesting projects: depending on the department, you can be exposed to some interesting projects and gain expereience.
    Salaries are average for the industry and definitely on the lower end for the workload.
    Benefits are ok: 70% insurance and the rest you.

ConsCons:
    Processes are still to be defined: often times this creates more workload and a lot of stress. It is clear that some processes lack direction.
    Too many times projects have very tight deadlines and after some time it starts to get you, as you are very tired and demotivated. The story that gets told too many times gets boring.
    There is a constant feel that almost everything had to be done yesterday: it puts a lot of pressure on the employees and from a project that is very ok, it becomes something that just leaves you with a bitter taste in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to learn to prioritize in such a way that you touch the company's goals, but you also motivate your employees. Who cares if you were involved in 10 projects, when at the end of the day you do not even have the strength to crack a smile because of the fatigue? Work on your employees' work/life balance.
    There are too many periods when things are urgent.
    There is a shortage in workforce. You need to hire more people.
    Work on the compensation package: it definitely needs improvement.

A lot of unsatisfied clients

Client Service Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThey paid better then the big bank I previously worked at in the same position. Office located off of the TTC subway line. They have some innovative products, like USD in a registered account.

ConsWay too many trades not being executed because of technical issues. Clients often had to wait 30 minutes or more to speak with a client service rep. Supervisor did nothing but talk to his girlfriend on the phone all day. Management wold make promises and not keep them. Low employee moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your clients and employees better.

Great people and environment. Some supervisors promoted due to favouritism but not terrible.

New Accounts Specialist (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood experience, great people. Get to know the investment industry from a relaxed environment

ConsWork is fairly monotonous but not overly difficult. Have to learn on the go, no extensive training for most positions

Advice to Senior Managementpromote appropriate and well qualified people to team leads.

So So

ProsLots of parties, work environment is mostly neutral. Nothing out of the ordinary, which is a good thing.

ConsNot very innovative, sometimes too much red tape to get a simple thing approved because infrastructure cannot handle it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into investing more into infrastructure. Because people in power are senior and more experienced that may not necessarily be a good thing because it impedes innovation. As Henry Ford once said "If I asked the people what they wanted they would say they wanted faster horses with better carriages".

Job review of position at Questrade

Corporate and Institutional FX Sales (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros1) Opportunity to grow in FX;
    2) Enthusiastic personnel;
    3) Nominated as one of he best managed Canadian company;

Cons1) Not enough FX product tools to be able to cater to client's needs;
    2) Very fragmented FX team;
    3) No clear sense of direction.

Friendly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Learning experience was valuable

ConsThere was not much recognition

Fast promotion

Team Lead (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosco-workers are great and helpful to eachother

ConsCost saving is their priority and customer service rep will always be the first to cut when revenues are down

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the employees

Worked for Questrade? Contribute to the Community!